Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Thank you, everyone, for all the information and advice. I understand it probably won't be easy, but at least my current employers here have contacts in London and have offered to help me. Of course, that's no guarantee, but everything is set now and sometimes you have to take a deep breath and jump. I have been so unhappy here for so long, and I know going home is the best thing. At least I'm lucky and have family. I will definitely check out the job sites that some of you have so kindly provided. I really appreciate it. Luckily, I do have some UK work experience.

Have to admit I'm somewhat nervous and apprehensive, but I'm sure everyone feels the same way at the beginning.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chazlondon
Hi Barbara,

The best website for jobs in my opinion is

http://www.monster.co.uk/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_n=Srch_UK_SK_G_GEN&s_kwcid=TC|210 30|recruitment%20agencies||S|b|6019606602

They have lots of international companies who would appreciate someone with your background.

Best of luck.
Thanks so much chazlondon! I will get on that right away. I'm quite happy to do temp work, it doesn't have to be permanent. I temped for a couple of years in London and for about five years in L.A.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

I left the UK in 2004 and returned with my 14 year old daughter and American husband last May 2010.

From the time I'd left school up until 2004 I had worked within the legal field as a Legal Secretary. After we arrived in the US I tried desperately to find work as a Legal Secretary - I never did and ended up working as a Receptionist. Although I managed to find some temping jobs after we arrived back last year I am yet again working as a Receptionist. I absolutely hate the job - it's a very junior position with a very junior salary.

I keep checking for jobs online and with agencies but am being told there just "isn't much around". We're still living with family but I think we've now outlived our welcome - it's going to be a struggle financially - I'm only earning £13,000. Apart from that we only have my husband's US pension.

In the Carmarthenshire area the job market is dire indeed.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82
I currently live in Ontario Canada, I got my Permanent Residence in September 2010. I have been looking for a job since..its been 8 months and no luck, it could partly be the fact that I wasn't able to work for 5 years due to immigration reasons and having a child. My Husband has a pretty well paid job $56k a year plus bonuses. He is looking for another job but looks like he would have to take a pay cut to do that!

Everything is so expensive here and pretty shoddy quality from furniture to clothes! The price of milk for example has gone form $3.30 for 4L to $5.40 in some stores in the last 3 years! And Gas prices have gone from $0.67 to $1.30 per liter! Its a wonder we survived on just one income as the wages have not been adjusted to the cost of living and there has been a new tax on some items in a store making it 18% tax!

We are looking to move to the UK in 4 -5 years time and hoping the cost of living is pretty good then!
4 -5 years is long, long time away. Things the world over may have changed a lot by then! The cost of living in the UK is still good now, I believe.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 6th 2011 at 11:22 am.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
I left the UK in 2004 and returned with my 14 year old daughter and American husband last May 2010.

From the time I'd left school up until 2004 I had worked within the legal field as a Legal Secretary. After we arrived in the US I tried desperately to find work as a Legal Secretary - I never did and ended up working as a Receptionist. Although I managed to find some temping jobs after we arrived back last year I am yet again working as a Receptionist. I absolutely hate the job - it's a very junior position with a very junior salary.

I keep checking for jobs online and with agencies but am being told there just "isn't much around". We're still living with family but I think we've now outlived our welcome - it's going to be a struggle financially - I'm only earning £13,000. Apart from that we only have my husband's US pension.

In the Carmarthenshire area the job market is dire indeed.
I have had to move away from where my family lives to where the work is for me in Manchester, have you tried widening your net?

I know the original OP will be living in London so may not have as many difficulties as those outside the big smoke.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to beholdLara45 is a splendid one to behold

My daughter has settled in to school and made friends etc etc - I just don't want dragging her around and unsettling her again. Oh I just don't know what the hell to do to be honest with you
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:39 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lara45
My daughter has settled in to school and made friends etc etc - I just don't want dragging her around and unsettling her again. Oh I just don't know what the hell to do to be honest with you
Sorry I didn't realise you had a school age child, it is very hard when you live in those pockets of the UK where the work situation is bad and yet other places seem to prosper........
Old Jun 9th 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

chazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Thanks so much chazlondon! I will get on that right away. I'm quite happy to do temp work, it doesn't have to be permanent. I temped for a couple of years in London and for about five years in L.A.
Have you decided what part of london you are moving to, you seem very intelligent have you considered starting your own business.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82
I currently live in Ontario Canada, I got my Permanent Residence in September 2010. I have been looking for a job since..its been 8 months and no luck, it could partly be the fact that I wasn't able to work for 5 years due to immigration reasons and having a child. My Husband has a pretty well paid job $56k a year plus bonuses. He is looking for another job but looks like he would have to take a pay cut to do that!

Everything is so expensive here and pretty shoddy quality from furniture to clothes! The price of milk for example has gone form $3.30 for 4L to $5.40 in some stores in the last 3 years! And Gas prices have gone from $0.67 to $1.30 per liter! Its a wonder we survived on just one income as the wages have not been adjusted to the cost of living and there has been a new tax on some items in a store making it 18% tax!

We are looking to move to the UK in 4 -5 years time and hoping the cost of living is pretty good then!
Ditto on cost of living. I have been doing some research into cost of living and there are some big differences. Price rises in BC are also disturbing. Especially considering that most people live just within their means with practically no pay rises, and even then, never close to price changes we've witnessed recently. In other words it's a pay cut in terms of standard of living.

I also agree on the quality of goods. I have gone through tens of thousands of dollars on what appears to be garbage products at high prices. Mostly electronic stuff. The way warranties work in North America is also crap compared with UK. The store basically wipes its hands with products after 30 days and sending heavy items back to the manufacturer perhaps over 2,000 miles away is not viable. It definitely pays to get extended warranties here, which are surprisingly well priced compared with those in UK. Also I get 2nd year cover on most things on my credit card, which has save me a load of money and hassle.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about

I would totally agree with King Kongs thread .I am a carpenter in the yorkshire area ,work is dire theres little about i know its not the IT industry but i feel the whole job front has slowed down greatly .
I have had very little work in the past four weeks ,an agency contacted me the other day offering me some work at eight pounds an hour for a fully qualified joiner ,which i found an insult .
When i told the agency they must be joking they promptly told me no wonder all the Eastern Europeans are getting all the jobs .
I couldnt believe his reply as long as tradesmen take the jobs at that rate the longer the agencies will continue to pay such low rates ,take away your cost of diesel and replacement of tools etc and its just not worth it .
I know some people will say needs must but thats just taking the p***
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:12 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The North definitely seems to be getting hit hard. I know down South all of my mates over there are just as busy as always.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking at retuning to UK at almost 50 and thinking that maybe I can pick a job up to return on the internet, reading this it sounds like I might be in fantasy land!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brummie61
I am looking at retuning to UK at almost 50 and thinking that maybe I can pick a job up to return on the internet, reading this it sounds like I might be in fantasy land!
Why not test the waters and see what comes up via the Internet?

...Although from my experience, I always had to be in the UK before anyone would look at my CV.

Why do you want to leave S.A. in particular and what do you do for a crust?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

woodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura aboutwoodworker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris955
The North definitely seems to be getting hit hard. I know down South all of my mates over there are just as busy as always.
Totally agree theres plenty of work down south, our so called prime minister Cameron and his hoppo should come up North and get a real perspective of whats going on .As a tradesman i could go down south for the work but the travel costs and digs just wouldnt make it worth while .
I guess weve just got to ride out the storm and hope theres an end to all of this
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why not test the waters and see what comes up via the Internet?

...Although from my experience, I always had to be in the UK before anyone would look at my CV.

Why do you want to leave S.A. in particular and what do you do for a crust?
The reason to leave South Africa probably has more to do with security for ones retired years plus the need for a change! From what i can see here things are changing and its looking a bit bleak. Currently in Purchasing Management for a crust!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.