Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the job market really as dire as I've been reading?

Originally Posted by brummie61
The reason to leave South Africa probably has more to do with security for ones retired years plus the need for a change! From what i can see here things are changing and its looking a bit bleak. Currently in Purchasing Management for a crust!
Yep, I agree. I wouldn't hang around in S.A. for financial or physical security, even for retirement, unless I was loaded.

I only lived in the UK for ten years up until now, and it does ebb and flow according to the financial climate, which is bleak right now.

So, do some research for Purchase Management positions and see what comes up. Maybe a visit will help.

All the best!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yep, I agree. I wouldn't hang around in S.A. for financial or physical security, even for retirement, unless I was loaded.

I only lived in the UK for ten years up until now, and it does ebb and flow according to the financial climate, which is bleak right now.

So, do some research for Purchase Management positions and see what comes up. Maybe a visit will help.

All the best!
Yes - i see from your blog you have the SA connection. Port Elizebeth is a nice place to be. State hospitals are exactly that - A STATE! shockers would not send my dog there in fact would rather go to the vet myself for treatment!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

RR2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links! very helpful.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chazlondon
Have you decided what part of london you are moving to, you seem very intelligent have you considered starting your own business.
Wow! Thanks for the compliment, Chazlondon! It hadn't occurred to me, but I have relatives who have done just that and are very successful. Not sure what I'd do, though. I will be living in Central London (Westminster) where my parents live, lucky me!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

chazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Wow! Thanks for the compliment, Chazlondon! It hadn't occurred to me, but I have relatives who have done just that and are very successful. Not sure what I'd do, though. I will be living in Central London (Westminster) where my parents live, lucky me!
Do you really want to work for £20k per year for somebody who in private you know is not very intelligent, but your boss solely on the basis that they have lived here most/all of their lives.

You have travelled all over the world somewhere in your memory you must have come across an idea that will make you the boss rather than a worker.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chazlondon
Do you really want to work for £20k per year for somebody who in private you know is not very intelligent, but your boss solely on the basis that they have lived here most/all of their lives.

You have travelled all over the world somewhere in your memory you must have come across an idea that will make you the boss rather than a worker.
Well, salaries for what I do are a bit higher than that, and I've spent much of my time in law firms, so usually the bosses are pretty smart if they've been able to earn a law degree. I actually have never given it a lot of thought, certainly not in the US because of the huge problems with obtaining even remotely affordable health coverage for individuals. I'll have to give it some thought when I get back.

Thanks for the idea!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

tolennaki is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think there is a bias against Americans, it's just that the job market is so competitive. From what I hear, 30-40 applicants for a post is the norm. There were 160 applicants for the job I am currently doing. So things are difficult but the way you cope with the situation also depends on your attitude and I am saying this from my personal experience. If you really want to come back and you love it here, it will be much easier to cope with the initial difficulties. Keep in mind that it might take you a few months but you'll get there in the end.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

chazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nicechazlondon is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Hi Barbara

How are you getting on, would love to hear how it went.

Chaz
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BritInCanada82
I currently live in Ontario Canada, I got my Permanent Residence in September 2010. I have been looking for a job since..its been 8 months and no luck, it could partly be the fact that I wasn't able to work for 5 years due to immigration reasons and having a child. My Husband has a pretty well paid job $56k a year plus bonuses. He is looking for another job but looks like he would have to take a pay cut to do that!

Everything is so expensive here and pretty shoddy quality from furniture to clothes! The price of milk for example has gone form $3.30 for 4L to $5.40 in some stores in the last 3 years! And Gas prices have gone from $0.67 to $1.30 per liter! Its a wonder we survived on just one income as the wages have not been adjusted to the cost of living and there has been a new tax on some items in a store making it 18% tax!

We are looking to move to the UK in 4 -5 years time and hoping the cost of living is pretty good then!
hey :-)

I came back to the UK last year. Jobs are few and far between in the north for sure. My hubby stayed in Canada and was to follow when he was transfer to the Global department of the company he works for. We recently found out that that is no longer on the table. His company is moving the whole Global office to the US (part of it is there)they are relocating the current high level staff and finding other jobs for the lower level ones. SO, we have been doing a job search for him in the UK. But, the pay cut he would take is mental and he would have to have a huge commute. Petrol/gas in the uk is presently about $2.20 CDN a litre. Our Vat has recently been raised to 20%. Alot of the smaller store are struggling. Dare i say it - Cameron screwed up.

Now hubbys work has offered him a massive raise and higher position...in Toronto where he is. SO me and the kids have to move back. His work is willing to pay for our relocation, but still, i am tired of moving and changing. I am gutted having to leave, I love the uk and i "fit" here. Back to Hamilton we go. And I have 6 weeks to sort it. lol

So if ya need a canadian sounding brit to have a moan with I will be in your neck of the woods soonish.

what kind of jobs have you been applying for?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

To answer the original question of the thread. Ive been back in London for over a year and I have been unemployed since. I have even applied for jobs below my skill level(admin, Shelf stacking, table waiting you name it) and I am not even being considered.
To put it into perspective...I applied for a basic cashier job at a well known large bank last year. After the lengthy application form, two online tests, telephone interview and a final interview. I missed out by score of two points in the final interview. The salary was stupidly low too. To put it into context, my mum twenty years ago was earning more and she can't read, write or speak English and I have a degree, 16 years of work experience and foreign work experience of running and developing businesses.
Job market is not good.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I took about 3 months to find a job and then had to take a 30pct pay cut over my previous role.

My job is good and the company is one of the few boom companies (being awarded govt work) but ultimately living on my wage and commuting is not sustainable long term.

My BIL has worked for an oil refinery for 40 years- he is waiting each day to find out if it is his last day. The place is closing and the impact on the local economy will be devastating.

Lots of my friends are clinging to jobs. I really fear for the next few years.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by johnh009
I returned to the UK and found something in just over a month which, as an "older" worker, did not think was bad. One of the stumbling blocks I found was that the term "direct experience" is used quite a lot here. Companies like you to be familiar with their software packages, equipment, etc. They don't take the point of view that a suitable candidate may pick some of the easier aquired skills up quickly.

And, of course, it is easier to find a job in some areas than others.

Try posting your CV on this site and see what happens:

www.jobsite.co.uk
John009

I am looking to fill 7 technical roles( Engineering/Power Plant Training Instructors , but struggling to attracted experienced staff. We are offering around £40-60K depending on role and only managed to hire one person since the new year. I definitely have no problem with the age of the candidates, as long as they are willing to work. Engineering/technical staff seem to be in demand and able to find work.

Anyone reading this post look at EDF energy website if anyone is interested or PM me.

Regards

Hudd
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

I've not read the other responses to this post but just wanted to say good luck in your job search!

I was a legal secretary for an American firm in London before moving to NZ. IF you are good at what you do, by the sounds of it you are, then you will be snapped up quickly!

I used an agency called Ryder Reid who deal specifically with American firms - they pay more money and it's worth registering for temp work as more often than not if you are a temp and they like you they will find a position for you as they won't want to lose you. They were a really good agency and found me my last job.

Good luck with your search. If we end up going home at the end of our visas (a year and a half and counting for me!!!) then I'll be heading that way too!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I have been back just over a year, was unemployed for the first 3 months and have had 2 full time jobs since then.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I have been back just over a year, was unemployed for the first 3 months and have had 2 full time jobs since then.
Hello stranger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.