Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Wikiposts

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:15 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Originally Posted by N1cky
I've just seen that the 2nd series starts April 12th and is filmed in LA.

It should be interesting to see the differences from the 1st series, which was supposedly the unhealthiest place in America to somewhere that is perceived to be very healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing if he does the chicken nugget challenge on the kids again.

I know lots of people don't like Jamie, I think its great to see someone so committed and passionate about what he does, and genuinely trying to make a difference.
Not surprised he hasn't gone over very well here. Americans are great at many things - however a foreigner coming in and telling them where they are going wrong - it doesn't take a genius to work out how well Americans will take that.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:21 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
Yeah, right. He's not doing it for the cash at all. He's committed to making strangers healthy, not selling cookbooks and raking big TV fees.
He's a bit of a fraud in my view - worse yet, a patronizing fraud.

I genuinely don't understand this viewpoint. Campaigning for social change and using his own money to help make it happen - how is this being a fraud? Do you think he should never have brought the terrible state of school food to anyones attention?
He's always going to sell cookbooks and make money because of his fame. But putting up 2 million quid of his own money to get 15 kids off the dole and into a chef trainee program and then onto running their own restaurant seems a strange way to go about being a patronizing fraudster to me.

Or are you of the opinion that anyone of celebrity status is supporting a charity or creating a non-profit solely to further their own fame and fortune? Not wanting to start some heated debate, just wondering.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I genuinely don't understand this viewpoint. Campaigning for social change and using his own money to help make it happen - how is this being a fraud? Do you think he should never have brought the terrible state of school food to anyones attention?
He's always going to sell cookbooks and make money because of his fame. But putting up 2 million quid of his own money to get 15 kids off the dole and into a chef trainee program and then onto running their own restaurant seems a strange way to go about being a patronizing fraudster to me.

Or are you of the opinion that anyone of celebrity status is supporting a charity or creating a non-profit solely to further their own fame and fortune? Not wanting to start some heated debate, just wondering.
I agree with that. His manner is somewhat annoying but I also believe he's genuine about this and can't for the life of me understand why someone showing a concern about kids' diets would be viewed as unlikely because it would be 'making strangers healthy'.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I know lots of people don't like Jamie....
Surely he's more preferable than f**kgob Ramsay?
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
In some cases - most definitely - in this case, merely probably. There's something not right about him - all the pretend, working-class boy made good horse shit.

Having met him in a professional environment, I suspect he's pretty self-serving - but that's just my opinion.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Your best post ever
Old Apr 8th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the telly the other night when an ad came on for his new show but as it was on mute I couldn't hear what he was going on about. However, I noticed that over the years the more he keeps droning on about kids eating well the fatter he's becoming. Someone better tell him to lay off the turkey twizzlers.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The contents of the septic tank in my back yard are preferable to Mr. "I'm not a celebrity chef" Ramsay. Of course, lots of "normal" chefs have botox shots and hair transplants.
While we're at it, what's that thing that they have of putting "Chef" at the beginning of names here all about? It's not like it's some honourific. I half expect the kid at the local burger drive-through to have a badge proclaiming "Chef Lopez" or the like.

Last edited by cluedweasel; Apr 9th 2011 at 7:15 am. Reason: The joys of auto-correct.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard the "thick tongued mockney t**t" thing about this guy for years, but I've never really understood it. To me Jamie Oliver seems like a guy who genuinely seems to want to make a positive difference in people's eating habits. And even before that, he always seemed passionate about food, not just someone who was in it to be famous. He's one of the good guys and I will be watching and supporting his new show.

Frankly if there's a mockney type that needs to go away forever, it's Russell bloody Brand not Jamie Oliver.
Old Apr 9th 2011, 4:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
I've heard the "thick tongued mockney t**t" thing about this guy for years, but I've never really understood it. To me Jamie Oliver seems like a guy who genuinely seems to want to make a positive difference in people's eating habits. And even before that, he always seemed passionate about food, not just someone who was in it to be famous. He's one of the good guys and I will be watching and supporting his new show.

Frankly if there's a mockney type that needs to go away forever, it's Russell bloody Brand not Jamie Oliver.
He can do great things for food and kids, but still be a mockney twonker
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

so who saw it?

We haven't yet, will catch a repeat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/opinion/13levy.html

That's kind of gross though, the amount of maggots the FDA approve of and other nasties in the foods we eat...
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:03 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Mr. "I'm not a celebrity chef" Ramsay. Of course, lots of "normal" chefs have botox shots and hair transplants.
So true. He's always taken the piss out of celebrity chefs, and yet his tv show is so staged and acted it's awful! (Mr J used to like it so I watched a few of them, but even he can't watch it now). Then when I found out he'd had botox I couldn't stop laughing...twatwaffle.

As for Jamie, Numpty really is the right word for him.....but goddamn he makes some yummy food, and he makes it nice and simple for those of us kitchen-challenged folk to follow. I admire him for trying to make a change. I really do believe he started to care alot when he had his own kids and thought about what they would be subjected to eating.

Good for him. I tried to watch the first one, but found it so cringy embarrasing how he kept getting slapped down by everyone I had to turn it off.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree with that. His manner is somewhat annoying but I also believe he's genuine about this and can't for the life of me understand why someone showing a concern about kids' diets would be viewed as unlikely because it would be 'making strangers healthy'.
It's amazing the things people get upset about but something has to change!

I love that Michelle Obama has made childhood obesity the cause she's tackling and liked that she reinstuted the White House gardens, inviting local school children to help with the harvest (and dine on what they'd grown).
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:46 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently the Superintendent of LAUSD last night announced he is going to recommend that LA schools stop serving flavored milks.

I don't think he said it was as a direct result of Mr Oliver, but the thousands of letters and petitions that he received on the back of the campaign must have had a huge affect.

That bloke is a total arsehole in my opinion, jumped up pompous ****, like most people in government.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

When they mentioned that the kids were having flavoured milk on their cereal at school I literally did a double take. We didnt have breakfast at school we sat around the table at home and ate our cornflakes while scribbling out our maths homework.
So I started thinking about it and it has to be that either parents really are too busy to feed their children at all now OR the fact the bloody school bus turns up at the butcrack of dawn to haul the kids to school (5:30am for highschool here) so the poor bugga's don't have time for breakfast.

Either way its all wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.