Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I've always wanted to visit Wyoming

I've always wanted to visit Wyoming

Old Feb 24th 2018, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've always wanted to visit Wyoming

Thank you all for this.

I thought we'd drive because it seemed like a great opportunity to see the countryside. I'm not worried about the kids and dogs, we'd take loads of stops. However, that works only if the trip is interesting. We drove down the central valley of California last summer when the coastal road was blocked, it's seriously boring.

If we fly I'll have to leave the dogs, but I'll need an alternative to kennels because they're incredibly expensive here. Much, much more than at home.
I like the suggestion to visit the state tourism page.

"Dude ranching, meh. The really successful ranchers are wealthy and hire staff to do all the nasty work, while they manage/supervise." I take your point. I think this much is obvious in the videos on their webpages. I was hoping for something a bit more authentic, although I'm wary too of being taken advantage of because we're visitors.

We're going back to the UK this summer, so I'm going to plan this for summer 2019. The plan, at the moment, is for us to be returning to the UK in 2020.
This is really helpful.

Thank you everyone.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Thank you all for this.

I thought we'd drive because it seemed like a great opportunity to see the countryside. I'm not worried about the kids and dogs, we'd take loads of stops. However, that works only if the trip is interesting. We drove down the central valley of California last summer when the coastal road was blocked, it's seriously boring.

If we fly I'll have to leave the dogs, but I'll need an alternative to kennels because they're incredibly expensive here. Much, much more than at home.
I like the suggestion to visit the state tourism page.

"Dude ranching, meh. The really successful ranchers are wealthy and hire staff to do all the nasty work, while they manage/supervise." I take your point. I think this much is obvious in the videos on their webpages. I was hoping for something a bit more authentic, although I'm wary too of being taken advantage of because we're visitors.

We're going back to the UK this summer, so I'm going to plan this for summer 2019. The plan, at the moment, is for us to be returning to the UK in 2020.
This is really helpful.

Thank you everyone.
The I80 is probably the most boring route to Wyoming, go the I90 through South Dakota . Sioux Falls is worth a stop and of course Mt Rushmore at the other end of the State

Do not bother with Waldrug no matter how many signs you see telling you it's the greatest place on earth (advertised on London Buses)

The best reason for going the I90 is that shortly after the State Line you're presented with the Bighorn Mountains in the distance and they're definitely one of the unsung views of the US

Plus Devils Tower isn't too far away (by Wyoming distances)
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Wall Drug isn't bad, just don't expect it to be anything more than a big gift shop and restaurant.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:18 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Wall Drug isn't bad, just don't expect it to be anything more than a big gift shop and restaurant.
True enough, the only drinkable dirt cheap coffee I have come across. 10 cents, I think.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Dave, that's super useful information too.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:43 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what the best thing to come out of Wyoming? - I-80. .....
Sorry, that's an old Nebraska/Wyoming joke.

The mid-west is a trip all in itself. In my teens, we did a similar trip as you are thinking. We flew into Idaho Falls, hired a car and drove to Jackson, stayed there a few nights whilst exploring around the Tetons. After that, we stayed on a ranch for a week just north of Yellowstone in near Livingstone, Montana. The Yellowstone River ran through the ranch and we literally had doorstep fly-fishing and fresh grilled trout. We would venture into Yellowstone from there and also do the touristy thing etc. From there we headed northwestward through Glacier National Park and Spokane to Seattle where my oldest sister lived at the time. 3 weeks of bliss and hell.

There are some spectacular areas of Wyoming, albeit some not so impressive parts. The Tetons and Jackson Hole by far are the most popular spots and possess incredible and iconic scenery. Much of Wyoming is grassland and vast plains. On the eastern side is Devil's Tower and Black Hills just across the border in South Dakota. Overall, its all interesting in its own way. There is still a sense of Frontier land.

An alternative to a dude-ranch also look into staying at a YMCA campground and planning day activities from there; as it might be cheaper. Eg, Estes Park there is the YMCA of the Rockies where one can rent a cabin for quite a reasonable rate; they do have self-catering cabins. Similarly, poke around AirBnB ... e.g. near Devil's tower I noticed a place which rented out yurts and tee-pees - basically camping. As appealing as it is, I wouldn't recommend an RV vacation ...... utter nightmare on wheels; atleast it was for us.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:52 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't go around mouthing off about gun control being a good idea that's all
Old Mar 14th 2018, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Ever since I read Mary O'Hara's My Friend Flicka trilogy as a young horse-obsessed teenager I've wanted to visit Wyoming.
Since we're here in Philadelphia now seemed like the best opportunity. Our family is my husband, our daughter 14, son 12 and me.

Dude ranching seems like the perfect thing. Unfortunately, it's also very expensive.

So I'm wondering if anyone can give me information that will help me arrange something that is more affordable.

It'll be 2019 now.

Thanks in advance.
If you're set on visiting Wyo. KISS. It's a huge state and scenic throughout. Yes, the Black Hills and Devils Tower are nice but... Go to either Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons. Accommodations aren't too bad if you go late in the tourist season like late August or early Sept. You can stay in really nice motels just outside the park entrance. Driving is the way to go but it'll be a heck of a journey from Philly.
If horses are what you want you should be able to find (not a dude ranch) but horse camping trips where they take you out (group of people) for a day or two or a week and ride horses all day and camp in a tent at night. You should be able to contact Wyoming tourism about horse camping vacations. They'll most probably be in the National Forests adjacent to the National Parks.

This is a start, try this:http://www.horsecreekranch.com/pack.html

Cost? The cheapest way to travel in the US with family is camping and come to think of it the Great Smokies and Blue Ridge are a lot closer than the Rockies. You should be able to find horse camping trips there also.

And another idea:http://cadescovestables.com/

Last edited by jeepster; Mar 14th 2018 at 5:48 am.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind if you go in the summer/school holiday time, a trip to Yellowstone, the National Parks in the Rockies etc are seen in American culture as an iconic family trip and so accommodations will be packed to the gills. Book early, and shoulder seasons are best if time and weather are permitting.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! Thank you all for your responses. Your posts present very interesting subject matter for a lively exchange of views whenever we discuss this trip.

Unfortunately, as we have children of school age we can only go during peak season. That said, last summer we travelled through California, three days of which were spent in a log cabin inside of Yosemite and before the area was closed due to forest fires. We didn't appreciate until afterwards the incredible advantage we had staying inside the park. We visited Glacier Point at day break, well before the park opened to daily visitors. The car park was almost empty when we arrived. The silence, the chill, damp air, the fog as it lifted above the sheer majestic beauty of the moutains and valley below, a haunting experience that will forever be imprinted upon our hearts.

We'd like the flexiblity of driving and seeing America. I love the elements of exploration and discovery. My husband even threw in the idea of visiting Chicago along the way, but I doubt that's doable. Essentially we will be restrained by time, 3 weeks is as long as he'll take from work. Therefore this may force us to look into a fly/drive - fly and rent an SUV.
The other issue for us is our dogs. However, my husband hates the tie they cause, and I'm pretty sure they won't be allowed into the National parks.

So where we are, things I need to look into:
  • fly or drive? - love to drive but flying seems most sensible at this point
  • A few days in a log cabin
  • A day or two out on horseback
  • Yellowstone Park
  • Mount Rushmore??
  • Devils Tower
  • The Tetons

I shall be working to navigate around the busiest times as far as possible.

What else?

Oh yes, we had an idea that gun control might be a touchy subject.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:26 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

[*]Mount Rushmore??
...and the Crazy Horse Memorial.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

So I have the first of our accommodation sorted, towards the end of June and the soonest I could make it once school close for the summer.

We'll be staying near Jackson Hole for 3 nights. I hope that I can secure accommodation inside Yellowstone as soon as booking opens for next year.
I love the suggestion to drive the Beartooth Highway. Is it a good idea to come back into Wyoming from Red Lodge, stay in Sheridan for a night and make our way towards Devils Tower?

We could drop down from Devil's Tower towards Casper? Or Newcastle and drive the Blackhills scenic byway?
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going down the Bear Tooth Highway, make sure the brakes are in great working order. The Little Bighorn Battlefield is very interesting, but maybe a bit out of your way as it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:45 am
He/him

Originally Posted by joto
The Little Bighorn Battlefield is very interesting, but maybe a bit out of your way as it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.
Little Bighorn battle site is worth seeing, but it would probably mean travel on I-90 and a lot of travel in Montana (getting from Beartooth to Devils tower), and missing out the Bighorn mountains. Or an out and back diversion.

We could drop down from Devil's Tower towards Casper? Or Newcastle and drive the Blackhills scenic byway?
From Devils Tower, I'd go to Spearfish and the Spearfish canyon in to the Black Hills and Deadwood, then drive South.
Custer State Park is a highlight of the Black Hills.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 22nd 2018 at 4:59 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

So I have the first of our accommodation sorted, towards the end of June and the soonest I could make it once school close for the summer.

We'll be staying near Jackson Hole for 3 nights. I hope that I can secure accommodation inside Yellowstone as soon as booking opens for next year.
I love the suggestion to drive the Beartooth Highway. Is it a good idea to come back into Wyoming from Red Lodge, stay in Sheridan for a night and make our way towards Devils Tower?

Inside Yellowstone? There's Bears inside Yellowstone.

Beartooth Highway? When we went it was a drought so the peaks (Beartooth Highway) was dry. You may not be so lucky. But it'll be an adventure.

Scenic byway? That part of the country is all scenic.
Keep in Mind Wyoming is the size of the UK so Yellowstone to Rapid is probably about 400 miles. Take the two lane US highways much more scenic than the interstate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.