The Iron Road

Old Aug 12th 2020, 4:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Iron Road

We have long had threads for planes and automobiles, why not trains?

I have been mulling over for several months starting a thread to discuss trains, and as a train has been headline news today in the UK, albeit for tragic reasons, today seems a good day to start the thread.

So Scotrail has experienced a serious derailment, reportedly killing three people, including the driver.

It used to be common practice to send out a train at slow speed after extreme weather on lines where there were bridges at risk from flood damage and where lines were at risk of being damaged by landslides or subsidence. I wonder if the reported landslip was unprecedented on that line?

On the matter of the train, I see that the canny Scots are now running 40 year old locomotives and rolling stock that started out on the old BR western region between London Paddington, SW England, and South Wales, though I believe that the same trains were used at one time on the Penzance - Aberdeen service, so may not be entirely unknown to Scotland.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Iron Road

Just found this on the BBC -

It is thought that the train initially came across a landslip and the driver stopped and contacted control to ask permission to reverse.

It’s believed the driver reversed the train to a set of points and switched to a different set of tracks, which was clear.

The train then apparently continued on its route towards Glasgow before it possibly hit another landslide and derailed.
Is that an HS125?
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It is thought that the train initially came across a landslip and the driver stopped and contacted control to ask permission to reverse.

It’s believed the driver reversed the train to a set of points and switched to a different set of tracks, which was clear.

The train then apparently continued on its route towards Glasgow before it possibly hit another landslide and derailed.
It makes me wonder as the driver had already found one landslip and had avoided it, how did he run into a second, when he was already aware of the risk?

Originally Posted by Expatrick
..... Is that an HS125?
Yup.

Here is the non-derailed locomotive, at Sheffield - apparently the original Western Region sets had been used for Midland Mainline services from St Pancras to Sheffield too. As the two ends were sometimes switched, I am not sure which locomotive was attached to the other end and was derailed earlier today. Originally I believe it would have been 43029.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2020 at 5:32 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, there are many Class 43s still in service in various parts of the UK. Not sure how up to date the list is though:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...Class_43_(HST)
Old Aug 12th 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
According to this, there are many Class 43s still in service in various parts of the UK. Not sure how up to date the list is though:
Well some have only been refurbished and transferred to Scotland within the past few years, so they are likely to remain in service for many more years.

At the moment AFAIK they are still all working in pairs, but it was orignally anticipated that they would eventually be "downgraded" to non-express service, with a single locomotive hauling carriages.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2020 at 5:39 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Dang. They're still using the old 125s?

I had not seen one on the Paddington-Penzance mainline in awhile, and that was back in 2013.

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 12th 2020 at 7:14 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant
Dang. They're still using the old 125s? ....
The Scots have only recently acquired 26 sets, with reduced rakes of 4 or 5 carriages, compared to their original rakes of 7 (Western Region) or 8 (ECML) carriages. The first set "entered" service in Scotland in October 2018.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 12th 2020 at 7:21 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 10:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It makes me wonder as the driver had already found one landslip and had avoided it, how did he run into a second, when he was already aware of the risk?
How fast was he going? After switching tracks, was there a slow order on anything in front of him? It could be a failure of protocol.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to commute on those into Paddington, lived in a small village and one stopped early in the morning. Sadly the BR Director who also lived there retired and the stop was discontinued and I had to change at Reading.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

The way I read it, was they came across the 1st land slide, then went back up the line towards Stonehaven. I then think that there was that second landslide after they had passed by going south, then slammed into it on their way north. Just my take on it. Just tragic, all round.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 10:05 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

What UK railroad magazine would you recommend? The Railway Magazine? Modern Railways? What is most recommended.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What UK railroad magazine would you recommend? The Railway Magazine? Modern Railways? What is most recommended.
I was always a reader of Modern Railways, but it has been a very long time since I have seen a copy, at least several years before I left the UK, and that was nearly 19 years ago.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.modern-railways.com

I have long been a fan of railways. Use them still and have used them internationally for many years. When living In Bulgaria I travelled widely with Bulgarian State Railways. Wife and Bulgarian colleagues thought this was a manifestation of insanity or at best , British eccentricity.

https://www.bdz.bg/en

Deutsche Bahn is also good but I preferred the system in the GDR, which was anachronistically, called "Deutsche Reischsbahn"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsc...ecember%201993.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 13th 2020 at 11:38 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
What UK railroad magazine would you recommend? Modern Railways? What is most recommended.
You're not interested in British trains then!
Old Aug 14th 2020, 10:45 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I have to ask, what is it about trains and railways that appeals to people?

I get planes - the dream of being able to take flight yourself has been around pretty much since the dawn of man. I get cars too (although I am not much of a petrol head myself) because of the speed you can attain and how some just 'look pretty'

However I don't get trains. While I enjoy a train journey, they're ugly, noisy diesel things. I don't get it. That said, I am willing to be educated! Be gentle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.