Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

iPlayer from September

iPlayer from September

Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute
Default iPlayer from September

iPlayer from September looks to get trickier for expats.

Official TV Licensing website - BBC iPlayer and the TV Licence

I guess if you have a UK friend or relative that is willing to share their license fee with you, and the DNS trick still works...
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:44 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPlayer from September

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
iPlayer from September looks to get trickier for expats.

Official TV Licensing website - BBC iPlayer and the TV Licence

I guess if you have a UK friend or relative that is willing to share their license fee with you, and the DNS trick still works...
Won't it just be one of those 'yes I have a licence' screens that you check to get access? Why would someone need to 'share their licence fee with you'? And that would also be illegal anyway wouldn't it, so no real difference really (seeing as you already have to defeat their geolocation barrier)?
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

On one of the tech sites they implied you would have to enter your license number into the program itself. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

jambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond reputejambey2510 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought BBC iPlayer was free, license or no license, as it wasn't live TV? Or did that change?
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Changing in September.
" From 1 September 2016 you will need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. "
Old Aug 1st 2016, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The BBC has always changed the rules if its revenue stream has been challenged.

I remember when, if you were able to prove that you didn't watch the BBC (only ITV, Ch 4 and/or Sky at the time), you didn't need to buy a license, so they changed it to include ALL channels.

I'm betting dollars to donuts that a LOT of people in the UK have been watching on-demand to avoid the licence fee, so it gets changed once again!
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to be a legal change rather than a tech one, from what is written.

If it's a legality tighten-up, then it makes no difference as you are already "stealing it".

If it's a technology change, then it will be a few weeks until it is cracked by someone or other.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

zymurgy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutek
If it's a technology change, then it will be a few weeks until it is cracked by someone or other.
I think it's both - I hope you're right.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:00 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So will people who don't live in the UK be able to pay a licence fee? Or could the BBC set up a "friends of the BBC" organisation in the U.S. and other countries? The National Trust have the Royal Oak Foundation in the U.S.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:53 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
So will people who don't live in the UK be able to pay a licence fee? Or could the BBC set up a "friends of the BBC" organisation in the U.S. and other countries? The National Trust have the Royal Oak Foundation in the U.S.
No chance. BBC have tie ups with other companies (TLC for one) to sell certain shows / titles and, unless that ceases, there is no way they will open their catalog to anyone else.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by zymurgy
I think it's both - I hope you're right.
Well, I haven't looked far, but so far all I have seen is wording aimed at UK residents telling them that their period of using iPlayer instead of owning a license is over and they must now pay up. No mention of new tech (so far) and no mention of overseas users other that the TOS for "real" customers. We may get caught in the fallout, but it's not aimed at us.

The real threat for us and iPlayer right now is Netflix, whose geo-blocking is what is causing all the current issues with the DNS services.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:16 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm guessing this will affect those of us who are using Roku apps to watch the main UK channels?

Not UKTV or whatever, but the main BBC/ITV/C4/5 etc Roku apps.

Thinking about it, the affect will be on HOW they implement the enforcement. If it requires a TV licence number entering, that would create problems. Anything else should not affect current setup.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read they won't be enforcing this by technological means (i.e. enter your licence number) from 1st Sept, but they are working on adding such checks at a later date. All the other UK players such as ITV Player and All 4, and BBC radio and weirdly, S4C Welsh programmes on the iPlayer, will not be affected.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The BBC has always changed the rules if its revenue stream has been challenged.

I remember when, if you were able to prove that you didn't watch the BBC (only ITV, Ch 4 and/or Sky at the time), you didn't need to buy a license, so they changed it to include ALL channels.

I'm betting dollars to donuts that a LOT of people in the UK have been watching on-demand to avoid the licence fee, so it gets changed once again!
Exactly right. Everything is watched on laptops or streamed to TV and I don't know anyone under 30 with a TV license.
Old Aug 6th 2016, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Quite funny...
BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

I think they're harking back to the good ole days of detector vans... that didn't detect anything either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.