British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Investing in US Mutual Funds (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/investing-us-mutual-funds-889120/)

orchid_in_bloom Dec 22nd 2016 3:22 am

Investing in US Mutual Funds

Hi All,

To those holding visas, is it worth it to invest in US Mutual funds while currently being in the US knowing you'll be leaving in a few years?

I have some money to spare and seeing the dismal interest rate on my Savings Account got me thinking into investing in US Mutual Funds, Vanguard seems to be the more popular name mentioned by locals. The thing is, I'm on an E3D visa and I know that eventually, we'll have to leave. I'm still investigating on whether there's a penalty for withdrawing investments but I thought it would be good to hear from people about their experiences?

Thanks!

Jerseygirl Dec 22nd 2016 3:44 am

Re: Investing in US Mutual Funds

Originally Posted by orchid_in_bloom (Post 12134512)
Hi All,

To those holding visas, is it worth it to invest in US Mutual funds while currently being in the US knowing you'll be leaving in a few years?

I have some money to spare and seeing the dismal interest rate on my Savings Account got me thinking into investing in US Mutual Funds, Vanguard seems to be the more popular name mentioned by locals. The thing is, I'm on an E3D visa and I know that eventually, we'll have to leave. I'm still investigating on whether there's a penalty for withdrawing investments but I thought it would be good to hear from people about their experiences?

Thanks!

I have moved your thread over to the US Trailer Park forum. Please note the BE Immigration forums are for US Visa and Citizenship questions only. ;)

orchid_in_bloom Dec 22nd 2016 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12134514)
I have moved your thread over to the US Trailer Park forum. Please note the BE Immigration forums are for US Visa and Citizenship questions only. ;)

Sorry about that. Thanks for moving it!

tom169 Dec 22nd 2016 3:34 pm

I can't speak for your circumstance around leaving the country.

However, regarding Vanguard: i'm a fairly rookie investor and Vanguard have made it quite easy to invest in a lot of different options. I've got some cash in there, used the graphs and a bit of common sense to invest and now leaving it.

One thing though, if you do use them, make sure to opt for receiving your correspondence electronically (e-mail). If you opt for postal version then they charge $20 a year.

Owen778 Dec 22nd 2016 6:35 pm

OK, my understanding is that you need to invest in US mutual funds (or ETFs? I forget) that are classified as "HMRC-reporting". A quick google gets me this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds

This is a worldwide list, and it's not clear to me if all the Vanguard funds listed there are based in the US, or some of them are actually their Irish funds, for example. You'd need to investigate further.

Can a mod move this back to the main USA forum from the Trailer Park? I think most of the members who are knowledgeable about this don't read this forum much, nun in particular.

mrken30 Dec 23rd 2016 5:26 pm

One thing to note is that Vanguard is owned by the funds themselves and, as a result, is owned by the investors in the funds. I believe they are the only fund that does this, they were certainly the first. Hence they are not trying to make profits for share holders , only investors.

Jack Bogle is not liked by Wall Street, there was an interesting interview with him on BBC's wake up to money program a few months ago.

orchid_in_bloom Dec 25th 2016 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Owen778 (Post 12134936)
OK, my understanding is that you need to invest in US mutual funds (or ETFs? I forget) that are classified as "HMRC-reporting". A quick google gets me this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eporting-funds

This is a worldwide list, and it's not clear to me if all the Vanguard funds listed there are based in the US, or some of them are actually their Irish funds, for example. You'd need to investigate further.

Can a mod move this back to the main USA forum from the Trailer Park? I think most of the members who are knowledgeable about this don't read this forum much, nun in particular.

Hi Owen,

I'll have to look into that as we're Ozzies and not sure how it works with our Taxation Office. Thanks for the info.

orchid_in_bloom Dec 25th 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12135607)
One thing to note is that Vanguard is owned by the funds themselves and, as a result, is owned by the investors in the funds. I believe they are the only fund that does this, they were certainly the first. Hence they are not trying to make profits for share holders , only investors.

Jack Bogle is not liked by Wall Street, there was an interesting interview with him on BBC's wake up to money program a few months ago.

Good to know. Are there other investment firms you can recommend based on personal experience? I'm looking for something simple where I can just put my money in.

orchid_in_bloom Dec 25th 2016 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12134797)
I can't speak for your circumstance around leaving the country.

However, regarding Vanguard: i'm a fairly rookie investor and Vanguard have made it quite easy to invest in a lot of different options. I've got some cash in there, used the graphs and a bit of common sense to invest and now leaving it.

One thing though, if you do use them, make sure to opt for receiving your correspondence electronically (e-mail). If you opt for postal version then they charge $20 a year.

Thanks! We're on an E3 visa, renewable every 2 years. We know we'll have to leave eventually but I'd like to put my money somewhere where it it'll earn.

morpeth Dec 25th 2016 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12135607)

Vanguard executives surely structure things for their own best advantage, just the way Wall Street works. Just like "non profit" hospitals paying obscene salaries to their executives, or "non profit" universities paying equally high salaries to their executives.

Owen778 Dec 26th 2016 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by orchid_in_bloom (Post 12136389)
Hi Owen,

I'll have to look into that as we're Ozzies and not sure how it works with our Taxation Office. Thanks for the info.

OK, I suggest you try to find an Australian forum to check. A forum for US citizens living in Australia would know more details too, since it will apply to everyone there, not just the people who might return to Oz.

Owen778 Dec 26th 2016 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by orchid_in_bloom (Post 12136391)
Good to know. Are there other investment firms you can recommend based on personal experience? I'm looking for something simple where I can just put my money in.

There are quite a few decent value brokerages. For a combination of reasons, I have accounts with Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab and Merrill Lynch. I'd recommend any of the first three (though technically I haven't used Merrill Edge, which is ML's associated value brokerage).

tom169 Dec 26th 2016 3:18 pm

One other thing, I have the ability to invest via my HSA. Of course a relevant health plan is required.

However, that's probably not a good idea for you with you leaving soon.

orchid_in_bloom Dec 27th 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks, everyone!