British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   International Texting (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/international-texting-720804/)

Sue Jun 13th 2011 7:21 pm

International Texting

I came across this app which allows you to text internationally for free if the person at the other end is also using the app. I've been trying it out over the last few days with family in the UK and so far it's been working ok.

Just sharing it here in case anyone is interested.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

BritishGuy36 Jun 13th 2011 8:33 pm

Re: International Texting

Nice find Sue!

NatashaB Jun 13th 2011 8:57 pm

i use this too - really good!

meauxna Jun 13th 2011 9:21 pm

lol @ the name. :D

:frown: Wait, now I'm going to have those stupid Budweiser guys in my head all afternoon.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 13th 2011 10:07 pm

I passed this onto my son in the UK he hasn't been texting his US friends so much due to cost, so now he can get them all hooked up and back to texting as usual. Thanks.

tigerbaywarrior Jun 13th 2011 10:19 pm

There is an app called VIBER (www.viber.com). Apple app store has it for free.

If you have a smart phone and the person at the other end has the app installed, you can text AND talk for free. It's a device to device call.

I've been texting my brother and calling him for free (make sure you connect to WIFI first!). Add the contact to your contact list and viber does the rest!!

:thumbup:

Sue Jun 13th 2011 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9430496)
I passed this onto my son in the UK he hasn't been texting his US friends so much due to cost, so now he can get them all hooked up and back to texting as usual. Thanks.

That's one of the reasons I've been testing it out. Son is off to the UK in Sept and most of the time he texts his friends here, so I was looking for something that would help him still do that.

Sue Jun 13th 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by tigerbaywarrior (Post 9430511)
There is an app called VIBER (www.viber.com). Apple app store has it for free.

If you have a smart phone and the person at the other end has the app installed, you can text AND talk for free. It's a device to device call.

I've been texting my brother and calling him for free (make sure you connect to WIFI first!). Add the contact to your contact list and viber does the rest!!

:thumbup:

Yep, that's a good one too. They only have it for iphone currently though, and not many of my son's friends have an iphone.

frrussre Jun 15th 2011 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9430185)
I came across this app which allows you to text internationally for free if the person at the other end is also using the app. I've been trying it out over the last few days with family in the UK and so far it's been working ok.

Just sharing it here in case anyone is interested.

http://www.whatsapp.com/

Great find.

Reg. Frank R.

penguinsix Jun 15th 2011 6:43 am

What's app has been quite popular over here in Hong Kong and we use it quite a bit as an SMS replacement. I think it was recently free in the app store or like only .99ยข

Another one that is fun is called Talk Box, which is kind of like 'voice SMS'. Also free, you push a button and leave a short audio message which pops up on the other person's phone.

Steerpike Jun 15th 2011 8:54 am

If you are willing to download an app to your smart phone, why not download an Instant Messaging client such as Yahoo IM, and simply IM rather than text?

I must confess that I've never understood the purpose of true SMS texting...

nethead Jun 15th 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 9433918)
If you are willing to download an app to your smart phone, why not download an Instant Messaging client such as Yahoo IM, and simply IM rather than text?

Maybe because most people don't carry their computer around with them all the time, but usually have their phone with them.

laprincess Jun 15th 2011 12:29 pm

You can also send free picture messages with whatsapp!

Sue Jun 15th 2011 2:23 pm

Teens, particularly our son, use short bursts of texting these days (I suppose its an alternative to grunting :D ) and I was looking into cheap ways (as well as FB and Skype) of how he could keep in touch with his friends in the US when he attends UK uni later in the year.

Bob Jun 16th 2011 12:59 am

data plans probably, IM is a constant ping and sucks up your data plan.

Plus texting is a lot more convenient for a quick word to say you're late or what not than having to phone someone and talk about it, plus who really wants to talk on their phone anyway :D