Wikiposts

Insulted?

Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:27 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Re: Insulted?

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I just like to really screw with their minds...I'm English but have a Scottish rugby top and a New Zealand rugby top, so of course they get it wrong every time...
I like to screw with their minds too, but wearing those rugby tops is just wrong
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:36 am

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
The other day, I went to some of my BIL's friends to watch the superbowl. They had enormous flags/signs outside their house: 'Irish and proud!" and all that stuff which is typical in New York of fifth generation Irish immigrant families, who are utterly American but still introduce themselves as 'Irish.'

Being somewhat insecure, in situations like this (because I have often experienced some rather unique takes on the Irish/IRA/North ireland situation from proud irish-Americans) I often introduce myself as Scottish rather than English - red hair/kilt/scottish dad so I think that's fair enough.

It avoids the 'Oh, you're English, now let ME tell you about WHAT I THINK about the situation in Northern Ireland' and all that which you get sometimes on the North East coast.....
My first US "St Patrick's Day": I was trying to enjoy a post work beverage in, what is usually, a nice quiet bar. Oh no, not St Paddy's day! The whole town goes bonkers!

Oh, and BTW, it is PADDY, not PATTY. Patty is a round piece of processed beef or an aunt in The Simpsons... but I digress.

... about 2 pitchers in and bunch of monkeys walk into the bar wearing green kilts, stupid hats and generally being loud and obnoxious. One of them has some bagpipes and is playing some tunes. He was actually quite good as well. I get knocked at the bar by one of them, he apologizes and all is good, but now they know I'm English... so I get a load of sh1t, which I somehow ignore.

Anyway, the bag pipe guy got a bit upset about me being English on St Paddy's day, and he spouted some IRA rubbish. He then started to play a nice rendition of "Flower of Scotland". With a few beers in me, I call him a dozy tw4t for playing the Scottish anthem, or something similar, and he launches himself at me He was ejected from the bar.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:45 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
I like to screw with their minds too, but wearing those rugby tops is just wrong
not if you just like wearing them because you like the colours....
Old Feb 5th 2008, 2:48 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I'm from up North so everyone assumes I'm Australian, and they don't seem to know enough about Aus to come up with any jokes! It was quite funny when we had an actual Australian join our team for a few weeks, it was a fortnight before any of my co-workers realised she WASN'T British. And that was because I told them.
DH is from Aus, also. His come back is "Are you Mexican?" It used to be "Are you Canadian until someone on our housepainting crew said, "Yes" very seriously. DH then asked him if he was Mexican, and he laughed and got the joke.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by lisag8070
not if you just like wearing them because you like the colours....
:doh: