Wikiposts

Insulted?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:44 am
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future
Default Insulted?

How often do people get sh*t for being English?

I get called "limey" all the time, and there are frequent references to bad teeth and the war of independence. It does wear me down sometimes.

If I get particularly irritated by it I will usually, in reference to the bad teeth and limey thing, call the person out and say "do you actually know what you are calling me that?" They hardly ever do.

When the "war" comes up I usually claim that there was never an official declaration to cease hostilities so that, technically, England and the US are still at war and that I could kill the person and get away with it as they would be a combat casualty.

Anyone else with these "problems"?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 5:59 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insulted?

I really don't get any grief for being Scottish, except the odd reference at work to being a "fuzzy little foreigner" (Caddyshack quote) or inquiries as to where my kilt is or what's under it. Might also be some passing mention of bagpipes or Braveheart, but at least it is an engagement of conversation... Water off a duck's back.

The bad teeth thing is hard to refute.* I've been amazed and impressed at the level and quality of dentistry over here as opposed to the 'care' provided on the NHS. Couple that with half the people on any given BBC America show and the Americans have a good point.

*(my favourite illustration was in a Simpsons epsiode when the dentist brought out The Big Book of British Smiles to scare Ralph into brushing regularly)
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:18 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I get " where is your flamenco costume ", I did while I lived in England too..
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:23 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing really.

My wife got A LOT of crap in England from various retarded lugnuts thinking they were hilarious - or idiots deciding that she might be interested in their dreary political rants about George Bush et. al.

Americans seem lovely and friendly - curious about my accent, but that's about it.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from up North so everyone assumes I'm Australian, and they don't seem to know enough about Aus to come up with any jokes! It was quite funny when we had an actual Australian join our team for a few weeks, it was a fortnight before any of my co-workers realised she WASN'T British. And that was because I told them.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:41 am

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Nothing really.

My wife got A LOT of crap in England from various retarded lugnuts thinking they were hilarious - or idiots deciding that she might be interested in their dreary political rants about George Bush et. al.

Americans seem lovely and friendly - curious about my accent, but that's about it.
My native pretends to be Canadian. The WORST time we had with her accent was when we went to the Glastonbury Festival. I was shocked.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:46 am
Just Joined

u.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the roughu.k. lady is a jewel in the rough

Yep,
my kids have had some at school. They hate American history because they have to hear how awful the British were and of course they are British. One teacher in my daughters class said all British people drank tea with their little fingers in the air and said British people said americans spoke like yanks. My daughter replied "no we dont and well you do".
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by u.k. lady
Yep,
my kids have had some at school. They hate American history because they have to hear how awful the British were and of course they are British. One teacher in my daughters class said all British people drank tea with their little fingers in the air and said British people said americans spoke like yanks. My daughter replied "no we dont and well you do".
yeah, that damn Mel Gibson film doesn't help either (The Patriot). Nor does it help that the Death Star has exclusively British officers.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:51 am
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,
Hey, this might not be the right crowd, but didn't we start an unfair taxation program to make the colonies pay for the costs of defending themselves? Yet offer them no parliamentry representation for doing so?

Kind of like the English taxpayers money that goes towards the Scottish parliament these days?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:55 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Yep,
The only problem I have is from my next door neighbour.
As for teeth I'm always being complemented on my dental work and teeth.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 6:58 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
yeah, that damn Mel Gibson film doesn't help either (The Patriot). Nor does it help that the Death Star has exclusively British officers.
I nearly feel over last week I saw a film with an Irish baddy, well he was an English man with a crappy oirish accent but it was a start.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:02 am
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Thydney
he was an English man with a crappy oirish accent but it was a start.
speaking of which, did you spot Ray Winstone in the Departed?

That guy does 'bloke you wouldn't want to piss off because he'd kill you with a stick' very well. Not so sure about the accent.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Thydney
I nearly feel over last week I saw a film with an Irish baddy, well he was an English man with a crappy oirish accent but it was a start.
Was is Patriot Games?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
How often do people get sh*t for being English?

I get called "limey" all the time, and there are frequent references to bad teeth and the war of independence. It does wear me down sometimes.

If I get particularly irritated by it I will usually, in reference to the bad teeth and limey thing, call the person out and say "do you actually know what you are calling me that?" They hardly ever do.

When the "war" comes up I usually claim that there was never an official declaration to cease hostilities so that, technically, England and the US are still at war and that I could kill the person and get away with it as they would be a combat casualty.

Anyone else with these "problems"?
No, you must be a real arsehole!

You could remind them of Yank stereotypes... fat and stupid.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No, you must be a real arsehole!
I'm not denying that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.