Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Installing wooden floor...

Installing wooden floor...

Old Aug 10th 2015, 3:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Installing wooden floor...

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
..... My pet hate is the quadrant that is laid between the skirting board and the solid floor. It's a dirt trap and scuffs very easily. I refused to have it and haven't had a problem with the wood flooring expanding and contracting.
My pet hate is people that install "quadrant", aka "quarter-round", when the proper product to use is "shoe moulding", which is narrower than it is tall. Quandrant does stick out more and is more prone to damage. I would recommend caulking the join between the floor and the skirting, to keep out the risk of creepy-crawlies using it as a home, then installing the shoe moulding. If your skirting and shoe moulding are white you will probably have to caulk the join in at least some places before a final coat of paint.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 10th 2015 at 3:10 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The reason is that we are 10 years older...so is our achy backs! When we lived in NJ we had a large house so we could move furniture into other rooms and work on a room at a time with hardly any disruption. Now we have a small 2 bed/2bath condo...everything would be on top of each other.

My pet hate is the quadrant that is laid between the skirting board and the solid floor. It's a dirt trap and scuffs very easily. I refused to have it and haven't had a problem with the wood flooring expanding and contracting.
Sorry, what I meant was, where did the professionals who laid your most recent floor muck up - what would your 'younger selves' have done better/differently? Any pitfalls to look out for? Ours is a huge open-plan living area, so it has to be done properly the first time as itsy-bitsy repairs or replacements just wouldn't work.

As for quadrant - no thanks. We are replacing the baseboards. I guess that'll add a fair bit to the cost though...
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My pet hate is people that install "quadrant", aka "quarter-round", when the proper product to use is "shoe moulding", which is narrower than it is tall. Quandrant does stick out more and is more prone to damage. I would recommend caulking the join between the floor and the skirting, to keep out the risk of creepy-crawlies using it as a home, then installing the shoe moulding. If your skirting and shoe moulding are white you will probably have to caulk the join in at least some places before a final coat of paint.
Hubby caulked between the wall and existing floor...before installing hardwood. You won't convince me....I like the skirting and the floor to meet. Off topic...I hate skirting boards in bathrooms. Wall tiles...meet floor tiles please!
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby caulked between the wall and existing floor...before installing hardwood. You won't convince me....I like the skirting and the floor to meet. Off topic...I hate skirting boards in bathrooms. Wall tiles...meet floor tiles please!
I am not trying to persuade you, and I have no interest in doing so, but you must have lived in extra ordinarily true and perpendicular homes, or are more tolerant than me of hairline cracks between meeting pieces of woodwork.
Old Aug 10th 2015, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Sorry, what I meant was, where did the professionals who laid your most recent floor muck up - what would your 'younger selves' have done better/differently? Any pitfalls to look out for? Ours is a huge open-plan living area, so it has to be done properly the first time as itsy-bitsy repairs or replacements just wouldn't work.

As for quadrant - no thanks. We are replacing the baseboards. I guess that'll add a fair bit to the cost though...

We had several pieces that 'flap'. We have concrete floors in the condo...therefore the flooring couldn't be nailed down. We also had to have a substantial layer of insulation (approved by the condo board)...therefore it couldn't not be glued to the floor beneath.

We always replaced the skirting board...an opportunity to upgrade. Some came off without damage but others were damaged. We said up front that we didn't want the floor guys to install the skirting...hubby did it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It's not just the installing of the floor itself, there is also the work involved in making sure the sub floor is level and well secured. My step son was a floor installer, he now sells the wood wholesale, when he did our floors he spent more time getting the sub floor right than installing the floor itself.
You'd think they would also check to make sure the sub floor is level in a new build apartment, but the developer or whoever they hired to install the wood floors didn't, several spots where the wood isn't level and installed properly, seems they did it quick and cheap and now they are paying for it in warped floors in the apartments.

My dad put his in himself in his house, and he too spent more time preparing the floor then it took to actually install it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
You'd think they would also check to make sure the sub floor is level in a new build apartment, but the developer or whoever they hired to install the wood floors didn't, several spots where the wood isn't level and installed properly, seems they did it quick and cheap and now they are paying for it in warped floors in the apartments. .....
In new build the floor joists can sag or warp after installation. The floor might have been true and level initially, so that would be a poor quality materials issue, and not necessarily poor quality workmanship, though that could be a contributory factor. ...... A colleague had a horribly warped floor after the green joists dried out.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

. A colleague had a horribly warped floor after the green joists dried out.
Some of the stuff you buy is so moist, you'd swear they just cut the leaves off it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by steveq
Some of the stuff you buy is so moist, you'd swear they just cut the leaves off it.
Shipping it from mill to store on an open flat-bed trailer, and then storing it in the open behind the store (I know that several Lowes do that, I presume HD does too), doesn't help either.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

We had several pieces that 'flap'. We have concrete floors in the condo...therefore the flooring couldn't be nailed down.
Our house has concrete floors and a lot of bamboo flooring. Had some termite damage in a few planks and the pest guy asked me to lift them up so they could drill the floor and treat it. There was a crack in the concrete they had worked their way in. Any way it turned out that it wasn't a floating floor, previous owner had glued down all the damn bamboo to the concrete. Took all day to chisel up three planks from the floor. On the plus side the owner had also left a box full of spare planks in the garage.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Our house has concrete floors and a lot of bamboo flooring. Had some termite damage in a few planks and the pest guy asked me to lift them up so they could drill the floor and treat it. There was a crack in the concrete they had worked their way in. Any way it turned out that it wasn't a floating floor, previous owner had glued down all the damn bamboo to the concrete. Took all day to chisel up three planks from the floor. On the plus side the owner had also left a box full of spare planks in the garage.
I believe the condos in this building had hardwood glued directly onto concrete floors when they were built and yes they have been a pig to remove. We had marble floors...not wood. Now the condo board have strict rules about insulation when installing solid flooring.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping it from mill to store on an open flat-bed trailer, and then storing it in the open behind the store (I know that several Lowes do that, I presume HD does too), doesn't help either.
They do the same here, well home Depot doesn't but they sell only a small amount of wood, contractors don't use them much for wood, so their selection is small and kept indoors.

Rona next door is the main lumber supply store, and they have a huge outdoor lot, and they keep all their wood outdoors year round.

Of course as said the wood is shipped on open trucks and rail cars.

But here if your building a house it's impossible to keep the wood dry, rains most of the year...lol