British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Informed delivery service from USPS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/informed-delivery-service-usps-899585/)

mrken30 Jul 13th 2017 11:02 pm

Informed delivery service from USPS

I just found out about the informed delivery service from USPS. Might be useful to some people.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

tom169 Jul 13th 2017 11:16 pm

Re: Informed delivery service from USPS

It's great.

I didn't trust the mail person in the apartment and this helped keep me sane.

They were more interested in bundling junky ads than delivering actual important mail.

I had one immigration letter handed to me on my doorstep by a neighbor. :sneaky:

Jack8602 Jul 14th 2017 5:21 pm

that's awesome.

I just signed up - i always get nervous that immigration letters will go walkies and i'll miss part of the process

MMcD Jul 14th 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12294650)
I just signed up

I didn't!
CREEPY, I thought - when i received the sign-up notice in the mail last week from the Post Office

Help to establish yet another data base for tracking me and mine...NO WAY!

Tossed it in the trash

tom169 Jul 14th 2017 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12294738)
I didn't!
CREEPY, I thought - when i received the sign-up notice in the mail last week from the Post Office

Tossed it in the trash

You do realize this has been around for a while? It's just now they're opening it up to the recipients? :unsure:

Regardless of if you sign up your mail is going to be scanned.

MMcD Jul 14th 2017 8:16 pm

With a bar code yes

With my email address added - NO!!

Duncan Roberts Jul 14th 2017 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12294751)
With a bar code yes

With my email address added - NO!!

But it has your name and address on each piece of mail. Easily enough info to get your drivers license info, email addresses, social security number, work info and a host of other things.

Jack8602 Jul 14th 2017 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12294738)
I didn't!

Tossed it in the trash

I don't understand - this is purely showing you an image of mail you're due to get the same day :blink:

Maybe you could sign up and get delivery notification of when your tin foil hat arrives

PetrifiedExPat Jul 14th 2017 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jack8602 (Post 12294767)
Maybe you could sign up and get delivery notification of when your tin foil hat arrives

:goodpost:

Was just thinking the same thing..

petitefrancaise Jul 14th 2017 11:07 pm

My neighbourhood has had a few of those community mail boxes broken into in the last few days so the local bobbie encouraged us to sign up for this.

MMcD Jul 14th 2017 11:13 pm

Well...perhaps my apprehension is mis-placed
But the Big Brother grows ever bigger feeling makes me uncomfortable - and if, in my ignorance I confuse a useful service with a sneaky snoop - so be it.

Don't get that much snail mail anymore...so hardly matters.
I applaud the post office for trying to remain relevant

Pulaski Jul 15th 2017 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 12294763)
But it has your name and address on each piece of mail. Easily enough info to get your drivers license info, email addresses, social security number, work info and a host of other things.

I recently went to get a hair cut and put in the address of the lady that does it - Google Maps kindly informed me that I last went their three months ago! :blink:

Steve_ Jul 16th 2017 6:38 am

I signed up for it on my property down there, but it doesn't work reliably, sometimes I'll get stuff forwarded up here and I don't get an email and sometimes the other way around, they'll say they're delivering something and it doesn't get forwarded. So I thought maybe if it's forwarded it doesn't get scanned, but I've had stuff forwarded that did get scanned, so it appears to be entirely random.

My understanding is that they came up with it for the FBI, so if it's as crap as it appears to be, the ACLU was worried about nothing.

Steve_ Jul 16th 2017 6:40 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12294092)
I had one immigration letter handed to me on my doorstep by a neighbor. :sneaky:

USCIS has been promising a "hold at post office" service for awhile now, the Ombudsman report pointed out they have massive problems with returned mail.

Lion in Winter Jul 17th 2017 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12294863)
I recently went to get a hair cut and put in the address of the lady that does it - Google Maps kindly informed me that I last went their three months ago! :blink:

Maybe Google can fix your homonyms as well :)

Google knows everything about us. It just does. You would have to get completely off the grid to avoid that and even then I'm not sure.