British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Indian Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/indian-food-841540/)

AndFinally Aug 22nd 2014 8:45 pm

Indian Food

You would have thought that living in NYC you'd be falling over great places but alas it is not the case. I travel a lot in the USA so would welcome any suggestions of Indian eateries in the USA!

Hotscot Aug 22nd 2014 9:00 pm

Re: Indian Food

USA or NY?

Anyway.
Karma Cuisine. Santa Clarita
Monsoon. San Diego.

Our house. My wife learned to make it from scratch. Specialties include Tika Massalla and Butter Chicken.

sir_eccles Aug 22nd 2014 9:09 pm

I know a nice one next to the Walmart in Flagstaff.

If you can't find an Indian restaurant in NYC, I'm not sure I can help you.

Nutmegger Aug 22nd 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by AndFinally (Post 11378411)
You would have thought that living in NYC you'd be falling over great places but alas it is not the case.

Tried Jackson Heights and Murray Hill? Lots of good Indian joints to choose from.

materialcontroller Aug 22nd 2014 9:28 pm

Red Onion in Killeen, TX.

tonrob Aug 22nd 2014 9:45 pm

Lunch buffet at Brick Lane in NYC always used to be pretty good. Cheap too.

Anyway, I'm off to London tomorrow, so if you want to make any requests for me to eat for you then I can do so and supply pictures.

GeoffM Aug 22nd 2014 10:45 pm

Our local makes the occasional off-menu items for us - Peshwari naan being our most common request. Been to several Indian (? - or Indian-esque) restaurants east of Los Angeles and they've never been on the menu.

A spicy Korma and a mild Phaal please. :blink:

Titchski Aug 23rd 2014 4:18 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 11378461)
Lunch buffet at Brick Lane in NYC always used to be pretty good. Cheap too.

Anyway, I'm off to London tomorrow, so if you want to make any requests for me to eat for you then I can do so and supply pictures.

Sprout Phal please.

:thumbup:

thinbrit Aug 23rd 2014 2:59 pm

I've found most of them in the DFW area to be hit and miss. Some days excellent, and others only so.

If you have the time and inclination to cook your own, and prefer the authentic 'English Curry House' curries then I highly recommend these:
Curry kits, Indian restaurant style curry kits

They are some work, but you have total control over the quality of the ingredients you use.

Shipping takes about 10 days to get here, even when they are opened by customs. A large bag of powder which sets the sniffer dogs nose going usually means the outer packet has been inspected when we get ours...

Sheepdip Aug 25th 2014 1:14 am

Saffron Indian Cuisine, Greenville, SC

NCSox Aug 25th 2014 1:38 am

Tried a few in Lake Mary FL and they are well below par. Coming from the midlands, I miss being able to get a decent curry, the only Indian food item I have had over here which was remotely half decent was onion bhajis and they were good, but not excellent.

markonline1 Aug 25th 2014 3:21 am

I've yet to find decent Indian food over here. I've pretty much given up finding a decent jalfrezi or vindaloo.

jaffy23 Aug 25th 2014 3:24 pm

Dhaba in Curry/Murray Hill is pretty good and offers English style curries. They were pretty good and hot as you need! Dhaba - Indian Restaurant NYC / Best New York City Cuisine - Top rated - Best food in town

Just around the corner from that is Pippali which offers modern Indian Pippali

If you want to make you own curry - Kalustyan's has every spice and pickle you need - NEW Welcome to a Landmark for Fine Specialty Foods!

Owen778 Aug 25th 2014 6:32 pm

Where do the Houstonians here go for curry?

Kiran's (on Westheimer just inside 610) is very nice (apart from the one time we went when everything tasted burnt) but it is pricy.
Ashiana's (Dairy Ashford and Briar Forest) is OK.
I've also had a lot of mediocre lunch buffets, with Assam (1960 just N of I10) probably the least bad of those.

Is there somewhere I've missed and really need to visit?

Bob Aug 25th 2014 8:03 pm

In MA, there's a few shifty, but good ones in Burlington and Framingham and a couple posh ones in Maynard/Sudbury.