British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/impossible-dream-i-have-do-529798/)

rarchy Apr 16th 2008 5:08 pm

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Hi guys!

I apoligise in advance for the length of my post, but I would really appreciate some feedback on my situation, and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I have had a dream to move to NYC since I was young, and it's something I am so determined to do. I have spent time researching this and sometimes feel like it's an impossible dream... however when I tell Americans about this, they always say it's not as hard as I think and with hard work it is possible.

I'm still young at 25, but I feel it's something I have to do now whilst I can, with no ties (ie no kids, no mortgage etc!)

So my plan was to stay in my current job and save £4k-£5k. Then go over early next year, for 3 months (I think thats the maximum I can stay w/o a visa?). Before I go and whilst I'm there contact as many companies, make as many other contacts and apply for as many jobs as I can, telling companies about my situation, and hope that one wants to employ me and help me get a visa.

I've been reading more today, and now I'm really worried about how this would work

1) Would they even let me in past immigration? If I have a 3 month return ticket, but would be staying with friends (initially, then if possible try to find somewhere on short term basis) but won't have a job or real commitments back in the UK to prove I intend to return

2) I now see the complexities of getting a visa - is it likely a company would want to help me, even if I offered to pay for the visa? (I know it costs $5k+) I would apply to hundreds of companies, and given that I would be there, available for an interview, would this help my chances?

3) I also see something about applying for April, to start work in October - would this mean that if I did find a company willing to sponsor me they would have to wait 6 months until I could start work?

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French - I know these skills aren't really anything that makes me stand out from the crowd, but it's better than nothing! Before you ask, my company is very very small (3 people) so no overseas offices.

So what do you think? Having read through these forums and other resources (including the Pulaski's Ways...) I almost feel that my dream has been shattered, yet at the same time I am not willing to let it go, I am happy to give everything up and take risks, but do you think it's possible? Even the slimmest of chances!

Thanks so much for your replies :)

fatbrit Apr 16th 2008 5:20 pm

Re: Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Most Americans know absolutely nothing about immigration except the tripe they're fed by the media and lap up if it enforces their prejudices. Brits are no different, either.

1/ It's certainly an issue. But you have identified it and can take steps to minimize the risk.

2/ You'll find most companies will have little idea of the visa hassle. If you can sell yourself to them, they'll say yes but then shy off when they come to see the visa difficulties. You'll have to convince them otherwise. BTW, most of them will put you straight in the trash can when you state you are not currently permitted to work in the US.

3/ That's right. Exception would be some non-profits -- who also do not have the cap. You do not state where your skill set lies.

There's always a chance. You're young and without commitments.

English Muffin Apr 16th 2008 5:21 pm

Marriage to a USC is probably the easiest route to getting over here. Are any of your 'friends' over here anything more than 'friends'? :D

Elvira Apr 16th 2008 5:21 pm

Okay, so you've read the Wiki, which is a lot more than most people bother to do before asking questions here - so you deserve some brownie points!

You are thinking of the H1b.......... not much chance, to be honest. You'd need some pretty special skills to be of sufficient interest to employers for them to go through all the hassle of sponsoring you.

So basically you have to options:

- Find a job with a company that has offices in the US and work yourself up the ladder with a view of getting the specific skills that would make you transferable on an L1.

- Try to fall in love with an unattached USC...

Octang Frye Apr 16th 2008 5:29 pm

Well done for doing a little research and finding Pulaski's Ways.

I'm going to be frank: your current idea to contact hundreds of companies is silly.
Who are these companies? How are you going to contact them? Email? Phone? In-person? Are you going to just walk up to the front desk and say, "Even though I have no legal eligibility to work for you, please give me a job"?
So it's a non-starter.

A lot of people on here will tell you to go the marriage route, but that presupposes you find someone and cultivate the relationship etc.

Perhaps a more realistic option would be the education route. Come over, do a Masters, work your OPT and who knows what will happen? It will be expensive and a gamble but at least you'd be in charge of your decisions.

In the meantime, save-save-save. Education here is very expensive.

And don't get hung up on NYC. First, get in a position whereby you can actually come over. Once you get your established, then you can move where you want. Don't truncate your options based on location.

Bon chance.

Ray Apr 16th 2008 5:30 pm

Enjoy your 90 day vacation ..... go on the pull ...

hobbes79 Apr 16th 2008 5:39 pm

I would perhaps consider adjusting your dream to Canada. Easier immigration, and with the ability to speak fluent French, that would be a big selling point there.

chicagojlo Apr 16th 2008 5:51 pm

Look for a new job where you are that has offices here and is likely to be able to transfer you. It really is your only way other than maybe study or marriage.
You stand little to no chance with the H1B in your situation, and having had the same dream myself I understand how much you want it, but wanting it doesn't make it so I'm afraid!
As for applying to hundreds of companies, many of us are here and already legal and able to work and still we find that applying to hundreds of companies gets us nowhere. Add in that you are not legally or physically able to take up a job, and you are even worse off.
Having said that, I have had a couple of friends who made it that way. But I do genuinely think they were rare exceptions to the rule and to plan to get here that way is really a bad idea.

rarchy Apr 16th 2008 5:55 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. It's what I feared you might say :-( I actually feel like crying, this is such a big thing for me!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I could consider marrying, or with whom I might fall in love, so we can forget that option!

Octang, in reply to your question about contacting companies. Well really a combination of email and phoning (whilst I'm in UK and over there) Explain my circumstances, see if they have any vacancies, if they would consider sponsoring someones visa if they fitted the criteria of what they were looking for (admitedly this was my plan before I realised that there is a quota, the duration of time it takes, and the cost). I know that most of these wouldn't reply (even if I chase them up). That the majority of those who reply wouldn't be interested, and even if they were probably wouldn't have any current employment possibilities. But I still feel if I gave it a shot, you never know.

Concerning my skills set, well I work for an Event Management company so my skills lie there, unfortunately nothing really helps I fear! As I said I also speak French, if this counts as a skill.

I have though about education, but like you say it costs a bomb. Unfortunately I would not be able to save more than £5k and having looked at some courses you seem to have to prove income of $20k+ to get a student visa.

Finally, for the location, my heart is set on NYC, but I would be happy to do what you say Octang and go anywhere if it got me in. My only thought is how do I get established? I thought if I did overcome the impossibilities and get a visa it would be specifically for what I was doing. I.e, my studies for a set duration, or a job - but if I ended the job so would the visa?

chicagojlo Apr 16th 2008 6:05 pm

Some visas have the option to go onto green card application, but this has to be sponsored, usually by a family member, spouse or employer.
If you come on an L1 or H1 then you may be lucky enough to persuade your employer to sponsor you but not everyone is that lucky.
I fear that in your current line of work there are very few opportunities for you. NYC is full of young Americans all dying to get the kinds of jobs you are looking at. And I can't imagine many event management companies are looking for staff that can't start for 6-10 months.
Have you tried to find out which multinationals have their own in-house event management teams? That might be the way in for you if you can get hired at the UK end.
Otherwise - I'd really consider a career change.

hobbes79 Apr 16th 2008 6:19 pm

A J-1 visa is a remote possibility if you are flexible about job type. Worth a look perhaps.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/ty...es_1267.html#3

Lilyella Apr 16th 2008 6:35 pm

I don't really have any specific advice other than what's already been given, but I would say that while it's true lots of Americans want to work in your field, being British is a major advantage. It's actually quite staggering how, especially in NYC, you only have to open your mouth and you're perceived as posh, educated, classy etc...and I can imagine that in event management and PR type work, this would be a more sellable "skill" than actual qualifications. In fact, I've known young British women who were hired to do exactly those type of jobs on the basis of their nationality. You sound very intelligent and charming so I say spin the dice, go over for 90 days and get a feel for what might be possible...or yes, look into getting a J1.

Octang Frye Apr 16th 2008 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by rarchy (Post 6218979)
Hi,

Thanks for all the quick replies. It's what I feared you might say :-( I actually feel like crying, this is such a big thing for me!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I could consider marrying, or with whom I might fall in love, so we can forget that option!

Octang, in reply to your question about contacting companies. Well really a combination of email and phoning (whilst I'm in UK and over there) Explain my circumstances, see if they have any vacancies, if they would consider sponsoring someones visa if they fitted the criteria of what they were looking for (admitedly this was my plan before I realised that there is a quota, the duration of time it takes, and the cost). I know that most of these wouldn't reply (even if I chase them up). That the majority of those who reply wouldn't be interested, and even if they were probably wouldn't have any current employment possibilities. But I still feel if I gave it a shot, you never know.

Concerning my skills set, well I work for an Event Management company so my skills lie there, unfortunately nothing really helps I fear! As I said I also speak French, if this counts as a skill.

I have though about education, but like you say it costs a bomb. Unfortunately I would not be able to save more than £5k and having looked at some courses you seem to have to prove income of $20k+ to get a student visa.

Finally, for the location, my heart is set on NYC, but I would be happy to do what you say Octang and go anywhere if it got me in. My only thought is how do I get established? I thought if I did overcome the impossibilities and get a visa it would be specifically for what I was doing. I.e, my studies for a set duration, or a job - but if I ended the job so would the visa?

I think you have your head screwed on and you'll find a way. You've got youth on your side. Definitely echo the sentiments of those who say consider a field change, or find work with a multinational, or consider finding a way to study over here.

BTW, consider the advice about Canada well. I went to Vancouver a little while ago and I could live there. You could consider it a bridging step.

chicagojlo Apr 16th 2008 7:11 pm

Toronto is also lovely. It has a very nice vibe to it and I think you would find a lot of event work there.

Orangepants Apr 16th 2008 7:28 pm

All very good advice. Visas are hard to get even when you get offered a job. I was offered a position with an investment bank two years ago. Even though I have the skills and experience etc. I wasn't successful in the H1B lottery last year as there are so many valid applications, now it has become a lottery with a one in three chance. Therefore going the L1 route and spending the year in London to be eligible. With the best lawyers in Charlotte rooting for me - they said transfer through a Brit/US office is the best way to go.
Follow your dream but it may take a lot longer than expected. :)

AdobePinon Apr 17th 2008 12:57 am

Re: the hundreds of job applications thing. I get job apps in my email all the time. Some of them are very highly qualified, but almost none of them know who I am or exactly what I work on (despite them saying they want to work with / for me). Some of them don't even know who I work for. A few even have me as part of a mailing list.

Point is, it doesn't matter how well qualified these individuals are, if they can't give me a good reason for hiring them (getting them a visa is not useful to me), I won't give them a moment of my time. DO NOT randomly seek jobs - you're far better targeting 5 or 6 positions after some thorough research, than applying to hundreds of positions. Each application MUST be specifically tailored to the position.

paul_79 Apr 17th 2008 9:36 am

Thought I'd add my two cents as well and second Orangepants post.

I work for a multinational in London (mainly publishing but also run events) with offices in the US, Canada and HK. Although I work in the finance department, from our area in the past 3 months we've had one person transfer to HK and another to our NY offices.

Granted they've been here for a couple of years each, but if you're good at your job and a role comes up in one of the the overseas offices my company will always try and consider internal applicants. So it may take a couple of years and a job change, but where there's a will....

Bitzi Apr 17th 2008 10:11 am

Hi
First of all it is not an impossible dream to achieve, but it may take a lot longer. As with everything, if you want something badly enough there is usually a way, but it takes time, seeds need to be sown.

This is my story: I was about your age when I went to the US for the first time and fell in love with California. I briefly investigated different options and they all seemed to too be expensive and overwhelming. I didn't give up, I still had my dream, but I realised I'd have to get on with my life here in the UK.

Of course I was disappointed that I couldn't make my dream happen instantly, but with youth, that's often the price you pay! I realized the position I was in at the time wouldn't get me to where I wanted to be, so regardless of how long it would take, I knew I would have to set the ball in motion.

At the time I was a low paid secretary earning about £12K a year (yeah that much), but I knew I could make money elsewhere (property). So over the years I bought and sold and bought and sold, each time making a bit more profit..... until I had more than enough money to buy a business on an E2 visa. This visa will allow me to stay indefinitely (only condition is that I still own and run the business).

It's taken just over 10 years which is something I know you won't want to hear, but remember time will pass for all of us. If I'd had enough money at 25 I doubt I'd have the mindset to be able to run a successful business by myself and would have ended up screwing things up big time.

Relocating is a huge move and I now finally feel grown up enough to handle what the US is going to throw at me.

Just start sowing some seeds now at the very least and don't give up on your dream. Listen to your heart, it will guide you to your star (but it might take a 10 year detour along the way LOL).

rarchy Apr 17th 2008 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

Once again thanks so much for all your thoughts and feedback. Although it wasn't really what I wanted to hear, I'm so pleased to have realistic views on my situation from people who know what they're talking about. I will PM some of you to get more info on your situations if thats ok.

I almost feel I probably could have answered my own questions with the research I already had, but it was hard putting it all together, and also I needed to hear it from others!

So now I've just about gotten over the initial disappointment (though I still feel sad!) I am ready to move onto my new plan - getting a job at an MNC and going from there. It's gonna take lots of research, hard work and luck but I will get there!

I have posted a new thread on it as I have so many questions, though I'm waiting for a moderator to approve it, but once it's up if you guys could have a look and give me your thoughts that would be very much appreciated :)

Thank again,

Rachel

Ray Apr 17th 2008 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bitzi (Post 6222047)
Hibuy a business on an E2 visa. This visa will allow me to stay indefinitely (only condition is that I still own and run the business).

And a lot more besides .....

Bitzi Apr 17th 2008 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6222752)
And a lot more besides .....

well, if I had listed every contingency I'd be here for days typing every scenario.

Ray Apr 17th 2008 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bitzi (Post 6222824)
well, if I had listed every contingency I'd be here for days typing every scenario.

Your major concern on renewal is number of employees

But if you have no children ..its not so bad ...

fluxsta Apr 21st 2008 2:12 am

Originally Posted by rarchy (Post 6218808)
Hi guys!

I apoligise in advance for the length of my post, but I would really appreciate some feedback on my situation, and you guys seem to know what you're talking about.

I have had a dream to move to NYC since I was young, and it's something I am so determined to do. I have spent time researching this and sometimes feel like it's an impossible dream... however when I tell Americans about this, they always say it's not as hard as I think and with hard work it is possible.

I'm still young at 25, but I feel it's something I have to do now whilst I can, with no ties (ie no kids, no mortgage etc!)

So my plan was to stay in my current job and save £4k-£5k. Then go over early next year, for 3 months (I think thats the maximum I can stay w/o a visa?). Before I go and whilst I'm there contact as many companies, make as many other contacts and apply for as many jobs as I can, telling companies about my situation, and hope that one wants to employ me and help me get a visa.

I've been reading more today, and now I'm really worried about how this would work

1) Would they even let me in past immigration? If I have a 3 month return ticket, but would be staying with friends (initially, then if possible try to find somewhere on short term basis) but won't have a job or real commitments back in the UK to prove I intend to return

2) I now see the complexities of getting a visa - is it likely a company would want to help me, even if I offered to pay for the visa? (I know it costs $5k+) I would apply to hundreds of companies, and given that I would be there, available for an interview, would this help my chances?

3) I also see something about applying for April, to start work in October - would this mean that if I did find a company willing to sponsor me they would have to wait 6 months until I could start work?

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French - I know these skills aren't really anything that makes me stand out from the crowd, but it's better than nothing! Before you ask, my company is very very small (3 people) so no overseas offices.

So what do you think? Having read through these forums and other resources (including the Pulaski's Ways...) I almost feel that my dream has been shattered, yet at the same time I am not willing to let it go, I am happy to give everything up and take risks, but do you think it's possible? Even the slimmest of chances!

Hey there!!

A poster on here that has a similar situation to myself. I am looking into this also, but the work/visa situation is a difficult one. i have a Bachelors and a nurse qualification but it still seems to be a minefield of info?

I fortuantely met someone whilst travelling, but i would suggest going the tourist route for a while and get a feel of the vastness of the country. i am trying now after great advice from those here on the forum to go over to US under the VWP to see my girl and sniff about for work, although i do not hold out much hope! Stranger things have happened, but go for a visit first and if your anything like me you will fall in love with other parts of the country! NYC is a mad house seriously!! But each too their own ;-)

P.S. Your Jose Mourinho picture drew my attention also....you are obviously a Chelsea fan??? thoughts on this years title? (private message me if u want, don't want to take this thread away from the topic, as it is really helping me also!!)

so thanks guys and it is great to see others in the similar situation.....stick close to this suite, it is proving to me that their is a wealth of support and help out there

JAJ Apr 21st 2008 2:41 am

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 6218939)
I would perhaps consider adjusting your dream to Canada. Easier immigration, and with the ability to speak fluent French, that would be a big selling point there.

I'd be more specific - go to Quebec (probably Montreal), he might like it there. And if not then after 3-4 years with a Canadian passport, the NAFTA option may be there to get a foot in the door in the U.S. market.

rarchy Apr 22nd 2008 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6240322)
I'd be more specific - go to Quebec (probably Montreal), he might like it there. And if not then after 3-4 years with a Canadian passport, the NAFTA option may be there to get a foot in the door in the U.S. market.

Assuming you mean me, he is a she!

And although it would be easier to get into, Canada isn't where I have dreamed of living. I have heard moving there could make it easier to get into the US, but moving to Canada in the first place would require a lot of effort and I think I'd rather try going via a Multinational in London. But thanks for the advice!

rarchy Apr 22nd 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by fluxsta (Post 6240267)
Hey there!!

A poster on here that has a similar situation to myself. I am looking into this also, but the work/visa situation is a difficult one. i have a Bachelors and a nurse qualification but it still seems to be a minefield of info?

I fortuantely met someone whilst travelling, but i would suggest going the tourist route for a while and get a feel of the vastness of the country. i am trying now after great advice from those here on the forum to go over to US under the VWP to see my girl and sniff about for work, although i do not hold out much hope! Stranger things have happened, but go for a visit first and if your anything like me you will fall in love with other parts of the country! NYC is a mad house seriously!! But each too their own ;-)

P.S. Your Jose Mourinho picture drew my attention also....you are obviously a Chelsea fan??? thoughts on this years title? (private message me if u want, don't want to take this thread away from the topic, as it is really helping me also!!)

so thanks guys and it is great to see others in the similar situation.....stick close to this suite, it is proving to me that their is a wealth of support and help out there

Yes I am a Chelsea fan! And even though he's gone I still love Jose :-( I don't think we'll win the league, and probably not the CL either - but then I never was very optimistic!

Anyway, back to the main issue. I don't really have the money to visit other parts first! And NYC is where I've always dreamed of living. Whereabouts are you looking? Have you contacted any companies to see if they're interested in your skills? Isn't it easier for those with nursing qualifications? If not maybe you'll have to think about getting married to your gf!

ian-mstm Apr 22nd 2008 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by rarchy (Post 6247880)
NYC is where I've always dreamed of living.

You keep saying this. If you are not open to any other options, you're going to end up disappointed. Consider this... a year from now, if you don't get what you want, you'll be a year older and no closer to your goal. If though, you open yourself up to other possibilities, then a year from now you'll not only be a year older, but you *will* be closer to your goal. You might not yet be there... but you'll be on your way. Your "all or nothing" attitude is reminiscent of Obi-Wan's line "only a Sith deals in absolutes".

Ian

chicagojlo Apr 22nd 2008 3:14 pm

If you are only wanting to move to NYC then you have to accept that it is going to take much longer and be a lot more work. The hardest part of all of this is finding that elusive company that has a team in the UK and in NYC that you have a chance of being able to join.
It occurred to me this morning that most MNCs aren't that likely to have the offices where they do their marketing in NYC since it's too expensive. Most companies only have their 'customer facing' staff in Manhattan and then keep the rest of their ops elsewhere. So you are going to have to narrow down your search even more to include the fact that the dept you will want to join is definitely in NYC.

rarchy Apr 22nd 2008 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 6248116)
You keep saying this. If you are not open to any other options, you're going to end up disappointed. Consider this... a year from now, if you don't get what you want, you'll be a year older and no closer to your goal. If though, you open yourself up to other possibilities, then a year from now you'll not only be a year older, but you *will* be closer to your goal. You might not yet be there... but you'll be on your way. Your "all or nothing" attitude is reminiscent of Obi-Wan's line "only a Sith deals in absolutes".

Ian

I'm not quite sure about what you mean. I am open to other options, and other ways of getting there. But the reason I'm saying I don't want to move to Quebec, or Montreal etc, is because I don't particularly want to live there. I'm not just going to move anywhere for the sake of moving abroad.

Currently I'm looking into the different ways of getting there, and as my original plan seems to be too optimistic and unrealistic, most people have suggested either marrying (which won't happen!) or working with an MNC. I know that the latter doesn't at all guarantee getting there, and is going to be very hard, but at least it's a start....

That said, I'm open to listen to other ways, but MNC so far seems the best for me in my present situation.

rarchy Apr 22nd 2008 5:12 pm

Thank's for the tip Chicagojlo. Yes it does make it harder, and I know what you mean by that "ilusive" company. Believe me, I am not expecting this to be an easy feat, or that I'll have guarantees of anything.

But I am also in a position where, as much as I love my job, I will be ready to move on. I was never going to stay at this company permanently, and would like to continue developing my career. So this eventual job change will mean more than just getting a step closer to NYC :-)

fluxsta Apr 22nd 2008 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by rarchy (Post 6247880)
Yes I am a Chelsea fan! And even though he's gone I still love Jose :-( I don't think we'll win the league, and probably not the CL either - but then I never was very optimistic!

Anyway, back to the main issue. I don't really have the money to visit other parts first! And NYC is where I've always dreamed of living. Whereabouts are you looking? Have you contacted any companies to see if they're interested in your skills? Isn't it easier for those with nursing qualifications? If not maybe you'll have to think about getting married to your gf!

So, a 1-1 against Liverpool.....bimey we were lucky! if you don't have the money to visit other parts then u aren't getting a rounded picture of just how vast the USA is? And, if you don't have money to travel how are you going to survive in super expensive NYC, or move there?? I am a mental health nurse and not a general nurse, it is different in US. My qualification is not transferable, I have looked (chekc my other posts). Anmd I would not pass the general US nursing exam without further training??

Contacting millions of companies to see about 'skills' is one thing, but getting them interested in doing your visa app etc is another as well as all the effort of recruiting you etc. i have skills, but am not that confident that i 'excel' in any particular area. Anyway, my heart is in Oregon....sorry i am sold o nthe West Coast, the most beautiful aprt of the world I have ever been to....NYC does not do it for me?? each to their own, but it is just a another city really. manic, busy, dirty, rude people.......it ain't the movies thats for sure....not meaning to burst your bubble......up the Chelsea!!

chicagojlo Apr 23rd 2008 12:35 am

Some of us love city life!

fluxsta Apr 23rd 2008 12:58 am

Originally Posted by chicagojlo (Post 6251058)
Some of us love city life!

ha ha
sorry no offence intended, i just live near London so spend a bit of time there and boy is it dirty!.....but hey Boston rocked my socks off? NYC seemed hectic

:thumbup:

Manc Apr 23rd 2008 1:03 am

Originally Posted by rarchy (Post 6218808)

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French

Are you fit? I mean, I am eligible to take the oath......you only be married 2 years or so, and it would be a wild 2 years at that.

you're welcome, happy to help.

GoldFinger Apr 23rd 2008 3:20 am

Adobepinon is right. This is not like the UK where you need a job and just apply to as many places as possible thinking eventually someone will take you on. You need to find out your skill set and find employers that are compatible and apply to a handful at a time.
Your local career centre should know of internship companies that will help you.

In the meantime get your a** over here and search the field. Theres nothing better than roaming the areas, researching companies and the culture on a tourist visa.

Don't worry about people saying it may take years, It's not always so. If you want to be here bad enough you will, the time you get here will depend on the effort you put into it.
Also forget suggestions of moving to Canada or wherever. If your hearts set on NYC, as mine was, get here.

GoldFinger Apr 23rd 2008 3:26 am

Oh another things, they'll let you into the country if you provide a letter with signature from a family member, or someone who knows you well verifying that you have somethng to come back to the UK for, such as an apartment, household bills, dying relative (OK, maybe that's going a bit far) to take care of.
I had 2 family members write me hand written letters and one from the person I was staying with in NYC all confirming that I was going back at the end of my visit and there was no problems at all getting here or going back to the UK.

meauxna Apr 23rd 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by GoldFinger (Post 6251489)
Oh another things, they'll let you into the country if you provide a letter with signature from a family member, or someone who knows you well verifying that you have somethng to come back to the UK for, such as an apartment, household bills, dying relative (OK, maybe that's going a bit far) to take care of.
I had 2 family members write me hand written letters and one from the person I was staying with in NYC all confirming that I was going back at the end of my visit and there was no problems at all getting here or going back to the UK.

Wot?

A letter from a family member is NO guarantee of entry. I'd think it's pretty weak evidence in fact (and nothing really to do with this OP's question...)

How did you present these letters on arrival?

Ray Apr 23rd 2008 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6254602)
How did you present these letters on arrival?

Good morning ..here are my letter of introduction ...

I presume

MsElui Apr 23rd 2008 5:01 pm

so your long term plan should be to get a job with any employer that will transfer you to ANY location in the US AND will then sponsor you for a green card. Once you have the green card (and have fullfilled any outstanding requirements from company sponsorship - like remaining x number of years after sponsorship or having to repay) you can leave that place and move to nyc and try and find employment there.

pejpm1 Apr 24th 2008 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6254819)
so your long term plan should be to first try and get a job with any employer that will transfer you to NYC, and if that doesnt work out then look for an employer that will transfer you to ANY location in the US AND will then sponsor you for a green card. Once you have the green card (and have fullfilled any outstanding requirements from company sponsorship - like remaining x number of years after sponsorship or having to repay) you can leave that place and move to nyc and try and find employment there.

:)

I understand the point, but all of the expats I've met so far have moved from the London branch of whatever company they work for. If anything, as long as you concentrate on the right industries (banking, media etc) I'd say that you'd be more likely to find a company in London with an NYC office than in any other part of the US. I dont think it's that crazy to concentrate on finding an employer with an NY office first. Granted if that just doesnt work out then she could look elsewhere, but it'd be silly to not concentrate on NY first.