Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice
Default Re: Is this an impossible dream? I have to do it!

Originally Posted by rarchy
Yes I am a Chelsea fan! And even though he's gone I still love Jose :-( I don't think we'll win the league, and probably not the CL either - but then I never was very optimistic!

Anyway, back to the main issue. I don't really have the money to visit other parts first! And NYC is where I've always dreamed of living. Whereabouts are you looking? Have you contacted any companies to see if they're interested in your skills? Isn't it easier for those with nursing qualifications? If not maybe you'll have to think about getting married to your gf!

So, a 1-1 against Liverpool.....bimey we were lucky! if you don't have the money to visit other parts then u aren't getting a rounded picture of just how vast the USA is? And, if you don't have money to travel how are you going to survive in super expensive NYC, or move there?? I am a mental health nurse and not a general nurse, it is different in US. My qualification is not transferable, I have looked (chekc my other posts). Anmd I would not pass the general US nursing exam without further training??

Contacting millions of companies to see about 'skills' is one thing, but getting them interested in doing your visa app etc is another as well as all the effort of recruiting you etc. i have skills, but am not that confident that i 'excel' in any particular area. Anyway, my heart is in Oregon....sorry i am sold o nthe West Coast, the most beautiful aprt of the world I have ever been to....NYC does not do it for me?? each to their own, but it is just a another city really. manic, busy, dirty, rude people.......it ain't the movies thats for sure....not meaning to burst your bubble......up the Chelsea!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us love city life!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

fluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nicefluxsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Some of us love city life!
ha ha
sorry no offence intended, i just live near London so spend a bit of time there and boy is it dirty!.....but hey Boston rocked my socks off? NYC seemed hectic

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rarchy

A bit about me: I'm 25 yr old female, with a bachelors degree, 2 yrs experience in my field, fluent French
Are you fit? I mean, I am eligible to take the oath......you only be married 2 years or so, and it would be a wild 2 years at that.

Thanks so much for your replies
you're welcome, happy to help.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Adobepinon is right. This is not like the UK where you need a job and just apply to as many places as possible thinking eventually someone will take you on. You need to find out your skill set and find employers that are compatible and apply to a handful at a time.
Your local career centre should know of internship companies that will help you.

In the meantime get your a** over here and search the field. Theres nothing better than roaming the areas, researching companies and the culture on a tourist visa.

Don't worry about people saying it may take years, It's not always so. If you want to be here bad enough you will, the time you get here will depend on the effort you put into it.
Also forget suggestions of moving to Canada or wherever. If your hearts set on NYC, as mine was, get here.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

GoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really niceGoldFinger is just really nice

Oh another things, they'll let you into the country if you provide a letter with signature from a family member, or someone who knows you well verifying that you have somethng to come back to the UK for, such as an apartment, household bills, dying relative (OK, maybe that's going a bit far) to take care of.
I had 2 family members write me hand written letters and one from the person I was staying with in NYC all confirming that I was going back at the end of my visit and there was no problems at all getting here or going back to the UK.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldFinger
Oh another things, they'll let you into the country if you provide a letter with signature from a family member, or someone who knows you well verifying that you have somethng to come back to the UK for, such as an apartment, household bills, dying relative (OK, maybe that's going a bit far) to take care of.
I had 2 family members write me hand written letters and one from the person I was staying with in NYC all confirming that I was going back at the end of my visit and there was no problems at all getting here or going back to the UK.
Wot?

A letter from a family member is NO guarantee of entry. I'd think it's pretty weak evidence in fact (and nothing really to do with this OP's question...)

How did you present these letters on arrival?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
How did you present these letters on arrival?
Good morning ..here are my letter of introduction ...

I presume
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:01 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

so your long term plan should be to get a job with any employer that will transfer you to ANY location in the US AND will then sponsor you for a green card. Once you have the green card (and have fullfilled any outstanding requirements from company sponsorship - like remaining x number of years after sponsorship or having to repay) you can leave that place and move to nyc and try and find employment there.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
so your long term plan should be to first try and get a job with any employer that will transfer you to NYC, and if that doesnt work out then look for an employer that will transfer you to ANY location in the US AND will then sponsor you for a green card. Once you have the green card (and have fullfilled any outstanding requirements from company sponsorship - like remaining x number of years after sponsorship or having to repay) you can leave that place and move to nyc and try and find employment there.

I understand the point, but all of the expats I've met so far have moved from the London branch of whatever company they work for. If anything, as long as you concentrate on the right industries (banking, media etc) I'd say that you'd be more likely to find a company in London with an NYC office than in any other part of the US. I dont think it's that crazy to concentrate on finding an employer with an NY office first. Granted if that just doesnt work out then she could look elsewhere, but it'd be silly to not concentrate on NY first.