Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:13 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impacted Wisdom Tooth

Originally Posted by lisa67
We're in a dilema. DS' orthodintist has said that he needs to have all 4 wisdom teeth out before the end of the year. None of them are causing him any pain but on the x rays the 2 bottom ones look like they're heading sideways (the 2 top ones don't look too bad imho)
My son had his tonsills out over the summer and now might have to have this done over Xmas hols.
So....I'm going to make an appointment with our regular dentist for his opinion, but how long do you think his recovery will be if he ends up having all 4 out?
The regular dentist will probably agree with the ortho - don't forget you don't want those pesky wisdom teeth interfering with all that beautiful expensive orthodontic work you've had done as well!!

On a side note, it may seem obvious but please please please, anyone who has a kid in braces, please make sure they are brushing properly... This last couple of weeks at work we've seen some real horrors coming in - one kid was so bad the dentist got straight on the phone to the ortho and told him to take the braces off, and one has needed so much work doing now she's out of braces its cost her dad nearly $3k extra because she didn't brush properly

Most dentists will happily clean your braced up kid every 3 months or more, at a cost if you're worried
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. I'm off to have a route canal on Wednesday so will have a chat to the dental surgeon about DS's wisdom teeth.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:25 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to the top teeth that there is nothing wrong with, I have been told that the top ones really need to come out when the bottom ones are removed to prevent the top teeth growing down into the gum. So that may be the reason they are saying all of them need to come out, not that there is anything wrong with them.

I was told 2-3 weeks recovery, but reading the stories on here am quite hopefull it will be a lot less.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Falcore
With regard to the top teeth that there is nothing wrong with, I have been told that the top ones really need to come out when the bottom ones are removed to prevent the top teeth growing down into the gum. So that may be the reason they are saying all of them need to come out, not that there is anything wrong with them.

I was told 2-3 weeks recovery, but reading the stories on here am quite hopefull it will be a lot less.
that makes sense
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Thanks for the advice. I'm off to have a route canal on Wednesday so will have a chat to the dental surgeon about DS's wisdom teeth.
Oh not you too!
Turns out DH is going to need one too.. going in for an urgent appointment today; poor guy has really been suffering (aka 'waiting to see if it settles down' )

Feel better.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread.

My daughter married her Army fiance back in May having planned originally to do so a year later in 2011. They decided to bring it forward as he is up for deployment and so she 'would be covered in all eventualities'.

Last week she visited the dentist with an infected wisdom tooth and will have three wisdoms out over the next few weeks, all covered by the military. Phew!

Last edited by Zonie; Aug 24th 2010 at 6:18 pm.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
Interesting thread.

My daughter married her Army fiance back in May having planned originally to do so a year later in 2011. They decided to bring it forward as he is up for deployment and so she 'would be covered in all eventualities'.

Last week she visited the dentist with an infected wisdom tooth and will have three wisdoms out over the next few weeks, all covered by the military. Phew!
The Daughter of some friends did that in May for the same reason, she just found out she is pregnant

Our Son did that too, but mainly so 'she' could join him in HI, he is Navy though. Thankfully two yrs in and no babies (yet!)
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh not you too!
Turns out DH is going to need one too.. going in for an urgent appointment today; poor guy has really been suffering (aka 'waiting to see if it settles down' )

Feel better.
Thanks.....had a temporary crown put on a couple of weeks ago and was hoping that it would be ok, but it's flared up again ...ah well, this time tomorrow it'll all be over.
My crystal ball sees some jewlery in my future (when you're down retail therapy is the only way to go!!)

oh and just had a very concerned hubby on the phone asking me how the root canal went.....obviously he has a lot of other things on his mind at the moment <sigh>
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

We finally got a doc to agree to take out the worst wisdom tooth with $250 down (50%). They even said they would fit him in today. I sat in the waiting room for a while and then my 26 year old baby came out all upset. He needs to be knocked out for the wisdom teeth and most of the pain is coming from the molar one of the wisdom teeth has butted up against and it is decayed in the back below the gum. He was now being told it will cost $1500 and the money he has is not enough to do it today. We go in the back to talk with them and he is told he could have just the molar out and most of his pain will be gone then come back for the rest. He gets himself convinced that will not work and the pain of having it done will be too much and walks out!! The office is closing for lunch and they tell me if he comes back in after lunch they will still do it. I have to go outside and talk him out of his hissy fit.
2:30 and we go back in. He comes out and is given the details of the cost of the rest (they are giving him 15% off). The woman tells me to just call when he is ready and he can either pay all/part/or make payments! I mention that he can't do that before he has paid this balance off and she said no, just make payments on the balance. So why the hell couldn't they have done everything today? We were the same people with the same money.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bevinva
So why the hell couldn't they have done everything today? We were the same people with the same money.
Oh Bev, I feel so sorry for him. I hope he gets it sorted out. It's so annoying how they'll bend the rules regarding payment when they think they're going to lose your business and meanwhile your DS must be in agony
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

So, how is he? did removing the molar remove the pain? i'm dying here!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
So, how is he? did removing the molar remove the pain? i'm dying here!
He is the biggest baby, can't handle any pain. This morning he is freaking out because he wants to smoke and can't. I did manage to get it out of him that there are no sharp pains or throbbing ones, just aches which are to be expected. He is pissed off he had to have a tooth pulled as if it is my fault, he is 26! I picked up some nicotine patches for him, but I think the best distraction he could have would be getting out of my house and going to work.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He is the biggest baby, can't handle any pain. This morning he is freaking out because he wants to smoke and can't. I did manage to get it out of him that there are no sharp pains or throbbing ones, just aches which are to be expected. He is pissed off he had to have a tooth pulled as if it is my fault, he is 26! I picked up some nicotine patches for him, but I think the best distraction he could have would be getting out of my house and going to work.
Wow! Some men are big cowards when it comes to pain, I'm not sure I would be buying him nicotine patches after acting like that, you are way too nice Bev I agree the best help you could be for him )and you)would be to help him find a job
Old Aug 25th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Wow! Some men are big cowards when it comes to pain, I'm not sure I would be buying him nicotine patches after acting like that, you are way too nice Bev I agree the best help you could be for him )and you)would be to help him find a job
He has a job, he just needs to get back to it! I've also had his brother and sister having all kinds of friends over so as far as the patches go, anything to keep the peace and he can pay me back next week.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

He has a job, he just needs to get back to it! I've also had his brother and sister having all kinds of friends over so as far as the patches go, anything to keep the peace and he can pay me back next week.
Ahh, ok, sorry I misunderstood. Why can't he smoke? I have had teeth (molars) removed in the past and smoking was one of the things that got me through the stress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.