Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Immigration Status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex?

Immigration Status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex?

Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex?

Help answer this curious mind- under what visa would you think that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be coming to Canada? I’m not sure if Royals even need visas. 2 situations come to mind- either Meghan has a PR to Canada or both of them come under visitor visa for 6 months at a time?
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Status of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex?

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
Help answer this curious mind- under what visa would you think that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be coming to Canada? I’m not sure if Royals even need visas. 2 situations come to mind- either Meghan has a PR to Canada or both of them come under visitor visa for 6 months at a time?
Either way would work, but my guess is that Meghan is a PR as she lived there for 7 years previously, and she'll have maintained that status as she hasn't been out of the country long enough to lose it.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Either way would work, but my guess is that Meghan is a PR as she lived there for 7 years previously, and she'll have maintained that status as she hasn't been out of the country long enough to lose it.
I agree, or they will travel in and out of Canada within the 6 mth period and activate each time they enter. The Imm Officers will probably turn a blind eye to them doing so. Not sure if they even have to go through Immigration.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brit_usa2014
did you intend to post this in the Canada forum (Maple Leaf)
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 6:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
.... Not sure if they even have to go through Immigration.
Maybe that depends on whether they are using their HRH titles and are representing the Queen.
Old Jan 22nd 2020, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

This article says not having a degree may be a problem:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/us-new...lawyer-claims/
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vespucci
This article says not having a degree may be a problem:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/us-new...lawyer-claims/
Or she immigrates to Canada (if she doesn't already have PR status) and then sponsors him since they are married, no higher education needed to be sponsored to Canada.

Having worked with a variety of immigrants to Canada without degrees and from much poorer countries, I really doubt Harry will have that much difficulty, I have no degree and here I am in Canada, I did have a sponsor though.

More then one avenue into Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that GCMS is being monitored and that anyone who checks it regarding Meghan's status in Canada might have some explaining to do so I think I will pass on running her name

Be interesting to see when travelling back and forth how they clear Customs dependent if on a commercial or private flight.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Be interesting to see when travelling back and forth how they clear Customs dependent if on a commercial or private flight.
The news here said he flew in on a commercial flight, disembarked and got straight into a waiting car, sounds like Customs weren't bothering.
Old Jan 24th 2020, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
The news here said he flew in on a commercial flight, disembarked and got straight into a waiting car, sounds like Customs weren't bothering.
If they are talking about him getting off the plane in Victoria (Vancouver Island) then he wouldn't need to clear Customs as he would have been on a domestic flight from Vancouver. Do they say what he did on arrival in Vancouver?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

For what it's worth, and for those of you now living outside of the UK, this has been an improbably huge news story here (although it seems to have died down in the past few days). I cannot find an actual British local who seems to care very much what they do, though...

Anyway, as a foreigner from a non-Commonwealth country, I have to say I wish them well whatever they choose, but I can't say I have an opinion or could be bothered to care very much. If Canada is willing to put up with them, then best of luck to all concerned... The British media's obsession with the Royal Family is a bit of a novelty for me...
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yankashire
For what it's worth, and for those of you now living outside of the UK, this has been an improbably huge news story here (although it seems to have died down in the past few days). I cannot find an actual British local who seems to care very much what they do, though...

Anyway, as a foreigner from a non-Commonwealth country, I have to say I wish them well whatever they choose, but I can't say I have an opinion or could be bothered to care very much. If Canada is willing to put up with them, then best of luck to all concerned... The British media's obsession with the Royal Family is a bit of a novelty for me...
My view is mixed, and I do wonder about the Media obsession, at least with Harry and Meghan, as once William had children of his own Harry became a bit of an irrelevance to the throne. If it wasn't for his grandmother being so old, and winding down her public appearances, leading to more work for "senior royals" then there would be even less for him to do. Basically Harry's role model is his uncle Prince Andrew, who has made a career out of embarrassing the Royal Family, which he continues to this day!
Old Jan 28th 2020, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My view is mixed, and I do wonder about the Media obsession, at least with Harry and Meghan, as once William had children of his own Harry became a bit of an irrelevance to the throne. If it wasn't for his grandmother being so old, and winding down her public appearances, leading to more work for "senior royals" then there would be even less for him to do. Basically Harry's role model is his uncle Prince Andrew, who has made a career out of embarrassing the Royal Family, which he continues to this day!
Ha.

The whole institution is a bit of an enigma to me, but I know many Brits are quite attached to them, so the safest bet is always to keep my mouth shut...
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Yankashire
..... The whole institution is a bit of an enigma to me, but I know many Brits are quite attached to them, .....
And that is because the alternative is to have a President. .... How is that currently working out for you guys? And when I say "currently" I actually mean, "for at least the last 48 years, maybe 60 years, and arguably longer"?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And that is because the alternative is to have a President. .... How is that currently working out for you guys? And when I say "currently" I actually mean, "for at least the last 48 years, maybe 60 years, and arguably longer"?
It's not a competition... 😅

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.