Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

Old Oct 8th 2016, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, British citizens do! ..... There are other residents of the UK that wouldn't be covered by the VWP, but they are not "citizens".

I also see you flipped from "British nationals" to "British citizens" and I am not sure that they are interchangeable.
I didn't flip, the Americans did. They screw up the difference between citizen and national. The quote above comes straight off the VWP site.

What they really mean is that only British passports with right of abode are VWP-eligible. A UK citizen passport has automatic right of abode. A British subject passport does not. It gets an endorsement if the holder happens to have right of abode.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Both ESTA and eTA applications have choose your country of citizenship as Tawain but I don't see one for European Union citizen.
I don't see one for Commonwealth citizen either. So Commonwealth citizenship does not exist?
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
.... A UK citizen passport has automatic right of abode. A British subject passport does not. It gets an endorsement if the holder happens to have right of abode.
The term "British subject" was abolished the Nationality Act 1948, so there are no "British Subject passports". There are, I think, "British Overseas citizen" passports, which have right of abode now, but that was an innovation after Hong Kong was handed back to the Chinese.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 8th 2016 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother. Even the UK Electoral Commission talks about 'EU Citizens' yet according to this thread, no such thing exists. No rational argument is wanted, it's just an excuse for EU bashing.

If you want to bash the hated EU, you should pick one of the actual failings of the EU, of which there are many. Instead of just making things up as you go along, because it sounds good.

Kind of reminds me of many of the Leave campaign arguments.
So here is a question you need to answer

You turn up at a Port of Entry in the USA or Canada seeking entry. How did you get to the USA? If on a plane then you must have applied for eTA or ESTA and as we have seen there is no way to apply for either as a EU citizen.
Sure you could have driven to both where ESTA and eTA are not required so now lets see what happens next.
Standard question by both countries officers

You are a citizen of which country and can I see your passport?
Is the answer European Union citizen?
If it is then chances are you would be sent into Immigration for further checks as even though most Americans are crap at Geography must understand there is no country called the European Union.
So during routine questioning you insist you are still a European Citizen. By now both the US and Canadian authorities are a bit annoyed with you and both have now determined you are inadmissible and can refuse you entry. Now the simplest way of dealing with you would be to turn you around and send you back from where you came from. However the officer has really got pissed off with you and rather than turn you around he/she detains you for identity purposes and wants to refer you to an admissibility hearing before an Immigration judge. Because of the identity crisis they can keep you in detention until your hearing is heard. several days pass and now your hearing commences and you appear before the judge are you still maintaining you are a European citizen?
So the judge finds you inadmissible and thinks well his passport shows him being born in Wolverhampton UK and if he is insisting on he is a European citizen then he won't mind being deported back to Latvia or Lithuania then.
I mean what wrong with that as they are EU member states

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Oct 8th 2016 at 2:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see one for Commonwealth citizen either. So Commonwealth citizenship does not exist?
Not when entering Canada or the USA it doesn't. I do see passports from citizens of countries who are members of the Commonwealth but all of their passports say citizen of whatever country not Commonwealth citizen.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:05 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Guy on TV the other night when asked where he was from... "I am a citizen of the world".

Nothing a good punch in the throat wouldn't sort out I guess.

Pretentious twat.

/grumpy.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Guy on TV the other night when asked where he was from... "I am a citizen of the world".

Nothing a good punch in the throat wouldn't sort out I guess.

Pretentious twat.

/grumpy.
Go get some (more) coffee!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:10 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Go get some (more) coffee!
I'm on my third.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:11 pm

I'm on my third.
Slacker!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:13 pm

Slacker!
Hey! I had a dog to play ball with yard work to do.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:16 pm

Hey! I had yard work to do.
I am guessing that you still do!
Old Oct 8th 2016, 3:21 pm

I am guessing that you still do!
Somewhat.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 4:18 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Would this loss of EU citizenship mean that I could no longer move to Rumania and live and work there if I wanted to?

Damn. That breaks my heart
Old Oct 8th 2016, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrken30
I see no one yet has quoted the definition of a EU citizen.

Any person who holds the nationality of an EU country is automatically also an EU citizen. EU citizenship is additional to and does not replace national citizenship. It is for each EU country to lay down the conditions for the acquisition and loss of nationality of that country.
Citizenship of the Union is conferred directly on every EU citizen by the Treaty on the Functioning of the EU

And not quite the draft but EU citizens also have the right to equal access to the EU Civil Service.

EU citizenship - European Commission
So what is the procedure for losing EU Citizenship?
Old Oct 8th 2016, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
So what is the procedure for losing EU Citizenship?
BREXIT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.