Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:11 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm being stripped of my citizenship – along with 65 million others

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Semantics. 'EU citizen' is shorthand for 'a citizen of an EU member state'. British citizens will cease to enjoy the rights of being a citizen of an EU member state by March 2019 however many will argue that it is a price worth paying to escape the influence of EU's supranational legal and political institutions.
Did I miss Article 50 being triggered?

Personally, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist until somebody is stupid enough to do it.

In the meantime there's next week's legal challenge.
Legal arguments against Brexit revealed for the first time, ahead of High Court battle | The Independent
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Did I miss Article 50 being triggered?

Personally, I'm not getting my knickers in a twist until somebody is stupid enough to do it.
Well you don't have long to wait.

Another waste of time and money. The ability to make and break treaties is a royal prerogative. On top of that we've just had a referendum where the majority of the voters have opted to leave the EU.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:34 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Does it really matter if you're no longer a citizen of the EU unless you live and work in a EU country ?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Does it really matter if you're no longer a citizen of the EU unless you live and work in a EU country ?
or your children are students in the EU and as citizens of the EU.

March for Article 50? I won't hold my breath.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

BOLLOCKS

There is no such thing as a EU citizen. Don't believe me well try getting a EU passport that says EU only on it as opposed to European Union United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland.

Try filling out any Government form that asks about citizenship and see if it lets you pick EU citizen. What colour is this EU passport? Who issues it? Surely there must be a website you can refer me to so that I can apply for one just the link will do.

So if you are a EU citizen which country could the USA or Canada deport you to?
Do they get to pick any of the 28 member states?
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Not really. British citizens will still being able to live, work and study in the EU. There may be some extra bureaucracy involved but for all practical purposes life as an expat will continue much as it does now.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 10:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... March for Article 50? I won't hold my breath.
Says she who was so confident that the Remain vote would prevail.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:01 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Says she who was so confident that the Remain vote would prevail.
to be fair, most of the country thought that. INCLUDING the effing morons who voted to leave. "Oh, I didn't think my poxy little vote would make a difference". Never mind, they're getting the government they deserve.

Did you see this? https://www.facebook.com/LBC/videos/10154347212196558/

and yes, I read the full nauseating speech.
Old Oct 7th 2016, 11:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

to be fair, most of the country thought that. INCLUDING the effing morons who voted to leave. "Oh, I didn't think my poxy little vote would make a difference". Never mind, they're getting the government they deserve. ....
You seem to have underestimated the resolve and determination of your countrymen. I, and a number of other people I know voted for Brexit, and meant it. This is a short term blip and is of no consequence ten years from now. England, as by far the greatest part of the UK has existed as a nation state for almost a thousand years, and many people do not want to see it subsumed into a faceless European superstate.

In any case I suspect that many of the whiners who claim they didn't mean to vote for Brexit are lying, and either didn't bother to vote, or actually voted for Remain, but think that by publically whining they can get the vote overturned.

And FWIW it looks like Britain at last has the best government it has had in very nearly 26 years.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 7th 2016 at 11:12 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone actually read the link I posted in #7 that explained what EU citizenship was?
Old Oct 8th 2016, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Now just a subservient to Westminster with no controls. Bring back the 1970's, what a wonderful decade that was.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Did anyone actually read the link I posted in #7 that explained what EU citizenship was?
Yes I did. For countries outside of the EU e.g. USA and Canada you are considered a citizen of the country for which passport you hold and the EU does not issue an EU passport.
As a consequence of citizenship of the European Union, when in a non-EU country EU citizens whose country maintains no diplomatic mission there, have the right to consular protection and assistance from a diplomatic mission of any other EU country present in the non-EU country.
So a German citizen who gets into trouble in Barbados could use the UK diplomatic mission as there is no German one.

Its a European thing Try telling US Customs you are an EU citizen as opposed to a UK citizen who has subsidiary EU citizenship as afforded by the Maastricht Treaty, and was extended by the Treaty of Amsterdam.[2].
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

BOLLOCKS

There is no such thing as a Commonwealth citizen. Don't believe me well try getting a Commonwealth passport that says Commonwealth only on it as opposed to European Union United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland.

Try filling out any Government form that asks about citizenship and see if it lets you pick Commonwealth citizen. What colour is this Commonwealth passport? Who issues it? Surely there must be a website you can refer me to so that I can apply for one just the link will do.

So if you are a Commonwealth citizen which country could the USA or Canada deport you to?
Do they get to pick any of the 53 member states?
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes I did. .....
Me too. I thought it was bollocks, but I doubt that surprises you.

I am not aware that "Europe" ever did anything I should have been grateful for, and the one thing I remember, on working hours, I was delighted to sign my employer's paperwork to exempt myself from the "protection" that Brussels had tried to foist upon me.
Old Oct 8th 2016, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

So EU Citizens can be drafted for the new EU Armed Forces?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.