British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   I'm BACK! But this time, just Jenney - no more Mark. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/im-back-but-time-just-jenney-no-more-mark-807121/)

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 25th 2013 11:26 pm

Re: I'm BACK! But this time, just Jenney - no more Mark.

:thumbsup:..it's Jenney from the block!

Good to see you again:starsmile:

Rete Aug 26th 2013 1:22 am

Welcome back, Jen!

More of us than you know have been where you have been and are now. You're a survivor .. we all are.

Enjoy the forums and renew old acquaintances and make new friends. Life is too damn short to not live it to the fullest.

Hey you got rid of the bad in your life and now you only have the good.:amen:

MsElui Aug 26th 2013 1:31 am

glad to see you back Jenn!

RICH Aug 26th 2013 2:27 am

I know where you are coming from. Coincidentally, when I came back to BE a year ago, after several years away, I had JEN removed from my user name.:D

Just Jenney Aug 26th 2013 3:08 am

Wow, thanks for all the "Welcome Backs" everyone! :) I see a lot of familiar faces (or usernames, anyway). In all honesty, I have been connected with many of you longer than I have many real-life friends. (I don't know if that's wonderful or sad, but I'll go with the former.)

Originally Posted by fulwood
I don't know you sorry but when saw title of thread thought you had had a sex change.

HA! :rofl: Nice. No, no sex reassignment going on here, sorry to disappoint!

~ Jenney

Uncle_Bob Aug 26th 2013 4:10 pm

How do you change your username? I don't see any way to do it.

AmerLisa Aug 26th 2013 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 10870366)

Isn't it usually done by asking an administrator?

Sue Aug 26th 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Just Jenney (Post 10868656)
I have decided to come back to BE because, well, you're a great group of people, and several of you have been there for me during some of the most trying times of my life, as well as some of the most joyful. Also, I am still an Anglophile. One of the things I've missed since Mark left is that loss of permanent connection with the British culture and people; it's hard to explain but hopefully some of you will understand what I mean. So this is just one way of keeping that alive in my life.

So I look forward to jumping into discussions on here again, and catching up. I'm so glad to be back! :thumbsup:

~ Jenney

It's great to have you back ... welcome back to the BE fold .... {{{:starsmile:}}}

Adnams Aug 26th 2013 4:34 pm

Welcome back. I am a recent returnee too! Sorry this might be too close to the bone but am curious, what happened to Mark?

Sue Aug 26th 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob (Post 10870366)

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 10870373)
Isn't it usually done by asking an administrator?

Yep, you have to slip me a fiver first though ... either that or a case of Merlot :lol::lol:

Just Jenney Aug 26th 2013 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 10870439)
Welcome back. I am a recent returnee too! Sorry this might be too close to the bone but am curious, what happened to Mark?

Mark still lives here in town, still has the same job. It took several attempts to get him to move out of our apartment. His options were very limited given his financial situation, and he would say that his only options were to live in his car or move back to the UK. But he wanted to stay here to be with HER, so he figured something out and made it work. He's very motivated when he wants to be. :rolleyes:

He now rents a room in someone's house (I think you Brits call it a "bedsit") but stays with HER about 90% of the time. She still lives with her parents (she has never lived on her own before) with her 2-year-old*, so... Well, whatever. Not my problem.

We are on friendly terms -- we still talk, mostly on Facebook or via email. I've seen him just once in the past 13 months, and that was in June when I had him sign the divorce papers. Despite everything, I want to try to remain on good terms with him -- we have a long history together, after all -- and it's getting a bit easier as time passes. It also helps that he never brings HER up when we talk. We're going to see "The World's End" later this week together, a very benign outing, our first in a very long time.

As it happens, I've had a very hard time trying to get Mark's parents to accept what's happened. For them it's like it all happened last week, when in fact this has been going on for more than 2 years* now. I know this is largely because they aren't here and didn't witness the implosion first-hand. Earlier this year I suggested visiting them in spring 2014 -- I thought that seeing me without Mark would help solidify the fact that we're no longer together but reinforce that I'm still the same person as before. The response I got was, literally, "We don't think seeing you would do anybody any good." So, that was hurtful; I didn't write/speak to them for 5 months after that, until just recently when they became (actual) grandparents for the first time.

Mark agrees that they're being unfair to me, and has told them that when they come visit the States in fall 2014 (their first visit in 11 years), we're all going out to dinner together (sans HER). It was uncharacterically sympathetic of him, and very kind. Whether it actually happens, though...

*In case you're wondering: No, the 2-year-old is not Mark's child. All the shenanigans started with HER after she was already pregnant.

~ Jenney

Adnams Aug 26th 2013 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Just Jenney (Post 10870558)
Mark still lives here in town, still has the same job. It took several attempts to get him to move out of our apartment. His options were very limited given his financial situation, and he would say that his only options were to live in his car or move back to the UK. But he wanted to stay here to be with HER, so he figured something out and made it work. He's very motivated when he wants to be. :rolleyes:

He now rents a room in someone's house (I think you Brits call it a "bedsit") but stays with HER about 90% of the time. She still lives with her parents (she has never lived on her own before) with her 2-year-old*, so... Well, whatever. Not my problem.

We are on friendly terms -- we still talk, mostly on Facebook or via email. I've seen him just once in the past 13 months, and that was in June when I had him sign the divorce papers. Despite everything, I want to try to remain on good terms with him -- we have a long history together, after all -- and it's getting a bit easier as time passes. It also helps that he never brings HER up when we talk. We're going to see "The World's End" later this week together, a very benign outing, our first in a very long time.

As it happens, I've had a very hard time trying to get Mark's parents to accept what's happened. For them it's like it all happened last week, when in fact this has been going on for more than 2 years* now. I know this is largely because they aren't here and didn't witness the implosion first-hand. Earlier this year I suggested visiting them in spring 2014 -- I thought that seeing me without Mark would help solidify the fact that we're no longer together but reinforce that I'm still the same person as before. The response I got was, literally, "We don't think seeing you would do anybody any good." So, that was hurtful; I didn't write/speak to them for 5 months after that, until just recently when they became (actual) grandparents for the first time.

Mark agrees that they're being unfair to me, and has told them that when they come visit the States in fall 2014 (their first visit in 11 years), we're all going out to dinner together (sans HER). It was uncharacterically sympathetic of him, and very kind. Whether it actually happens, though...

*In case you're wondering: No, the 2-year-old is not Mark's child. All the shenanigans started with HER after she was already pregnant.

~ Jenney

Oh dearie me Jenny. I am really sorry. That just sounds hideously heartbreaking. You're a better woman than I am to still be on speaking terms, but I guess it's better to be amicable. You know good luck in the future, things will get better / happier for you. Chin up

hungryhorace Aug 26th 2013 5:44 pm

No idea who you are, but sounds like you've had a tough time. Hopefully things are now getting better. I always like to think that it's those times when we're at our lowest that make us stronger and able to deal with life going forward.

(Oh, and i'm the local non tipper - pleased to meet you!)

Just Jenney Aug 26th 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 10870568)
Oh dearie me Jenny. I am really sorry. That just sounds hideously heartbreaking. You're a better woman than I am to still be on speaking terms, but I guess it's better to be amicable. You know good luck in the future, things will get better / happier for you. Chin up

Thanks, you're very sweet. It's not easy to remain friendly but it's easier than carrying around a sad, heavy heart, isn't it?

What's super-weird about posting about this is that for years and years and YEARS, my marriage to Mark was my primary reason for even being a member of BritishExpats. I mean, no Mark = no need for BE. This is a crappy analogy, but it's like joining a dog walking group to learn how to socialize the new puppy in the family, and you and your dog go on countless walks for nearly a decade with that group, and you enjoy it and get really knowledgeable about all-things-dog walking-related, and then the dog suddenly dies... and you come back to the dog walking group, but without your dog.

It's kind of surreal. This is the first time I've been a member of this group without having a real reason to be attached to it. I'm not British. I'm not an expat. I'm not dating/engaged/married to a Brit. I have no need for immigration advice (yay!), my own experiences with immigration were so long ago I'm not sure I can offer any valid advice anymore, and I can't provide any unique insight into what it's like to live in the States (an American living in America -- imagine THAT!?). And yet here I am. I feel very comfortable and welcomed here. I think that speaks a lot of this community. ;)

~ Jenney

nethead Aug 26th 2013 6:15 pm

Sorry to hear about the break up, that's always difficult, but sounds like you are getting yourself together very well. Welcome back.