Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....

If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....

Old Jun 13th 2015, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....

What do you do on route 64?

Well in NC it was key to my summer vacation this year. I hadn't planned it that way, but after taking little Miss P on a trip to Chattanooga last week and then all three of us going to the Outer Banks this week past, I realised while daydreaming as I drove along the very flat and uninteresting highway east of Raleigh, that I had driven a very large part, though not all, of the NC section of US64 in just three days.

US 64 is the longest single numbered highway in NC, running from just east of Chattanooga, TN near the extreme SW of North Carolina, all the way to Whalebone Junction near the northern end of the Outer Banks in NE North Carolina. Our hotel (entirely coincidentally) overlooked Whalebone Junction.

Along the way we passed Bat Cave, NC.

At the western end we deviated from US64 in favour of a route through the Appalachian mountains to Ashville.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....

Glad you did it this time of year, since in the winter, there is often a rock slide just inside the TN line in Polk County, resulting in a major detour.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 1:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
Glad you did it this time of year, since in the winter, there is often a rock slide just inside the TN line in Polk County, resulting in a major detour.
There was on-going repair work on the road in several places, including a couple with a single traffic lane and traffic lights, in the western approaches to the Appalachians, where the road had been partially undermined by the river.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

I drove along the very flat and uninteresting highway east of Raleigh
It's a bit of a bore on Route 64?
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by newadventure
It's a bit of a bore on Route 64?
Sounds about right, for the section from Raleigh to Williamston.

We also passed this restaurant, for which I have previously posted a picture I found on-line (I didn't know where it was, nor did I try to find where it was), but this is one that Mrs P took as we passed by. It is close to the Wright brothers memorial national park on the Outer Banks, on US64.
Attached Thumbnails If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....-20150612_120249-2.jpg  

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 15th 2015 at 4:28 am.
Old Jun 15th 2015, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

That is funny. I guess Bob is a plane talker. Ba-dum.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:00 pm

We followed a Google Street View car for several miles along US64 as we headed east towards Raleigh, so we are keeping an eye open for when they upload new pictures for the stretch of US64 that we were driving on.
Old Jul 6th 2015, 11:45 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We also passed this restaurant, for which I have previously posted a picture I found on-line (I didn't know where it was, nor did I try to find where it was), but this is one that Mrs P took as we passed by. It is close to the Wright brothers memorial national park on the Outer Banks, on US64.
Ha! I like eccentric signs, but that one is weird. I'd be leery of eating there... for a few reasons.

We have a local diner whose sign says "Eat Heavy Here". Honesty is always good IMO.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading a book based in the Outer Banks not long ago. It sounds like a great place to visit but possibly not to live.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I was reading a book based in the Outer Banks not long ago. It sounds like a great place to visit but possibly not to live.
You can feed the sharks there. ........ 3-4 people have been bitten within a couple of miles of one of the beaches we visited since we came home. The people were no further into the sea than waist- thigh deep, so maybe 15-20ft from the shoreline.

It is one of the windiest places I have ever been. We bought a kite, as the conditions are ideal for kiting, and all we had to do was hold the kite up with one hand while holding the string with the other, then let go of the kite, let out some string, and up it went. ..... It was no where near as much fun as I remember it being trying to fly a kite with my father when I was a child.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can feed the sharks there. ........ 3-4 people have been bitten within a couple of miles of one of the beaches we visited since we came home. The people were no further into the sea than waist- thigh deep, so maybe 15-20ft from the shoreline.

It is one of the windiest places I have ever been. We bought a kite, as the conditions are ideal for kiting, and all we had to do was hold the kite up with one hand while holding the string with the other, then let go of the kite, let out some string, and up it went. ..... It was no where near as much fun as I remember it being trying to fly a kite with my father when I was a child.
Humans feed sharks then act surprised when sharks look for food, find humans and eat. Which is the smarter species?

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jul 7th 2015 at 2:14 am.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I live about a mile from US 64 on the west side of Raleigh. I actually quite enjoy driving it. We use it for trips to the Zoo and Charlotte (by avoiding the I-85 hellhole). I haven't driven it on the east side in a long time but I do recall it being a bit of a bore.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Which is the smarter species? :rolleyes :
Here in NC the sharks wins when compared to quite a bit of the population
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I live about a mile from US 64 on the west side of Raleigh. I actually quite enjoy driving it. We use it for trips to the Zoo and Charlotte (by avoiding the I-85 hellhole). I haven't driven it on the east side in a long time but I do recall it being a bit of a bore.
Mrs P wanted me to take 85/40 to Raleigh, but I had no interest in doing so, and as I was driving I got to decide. I don't have any particular aversion to interstate driving, but the shared section of 85/40 is one of my least favourite interstates - seems to have more than its fair share of idiots. During the summer months, some presumably some of those idiots are on their way to feed the sharks.
Old May 27th 2016, 2:29 pm

We followed a Google Street View car for several miles along US64 as we headed east towards Raleigh, so we are keeping an eye open for when they upload new pictures for the stretch of US64 that we were driving on.
Found it!
Attached Thumbnails If you get your kicks on Route 66 .....-vacation-june-2015.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.