Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I want to go HOME!!!

I want to go HOME!!!

Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Familytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to all
Default I want to go HOME!!!

Having read some of the threads from people who have gone back HOME it has made us even more determined that WE WANT TO GO HOME.

Believe it or not we have only been here for 3 months, we rented a house on a six month lease from the middle of October, so have another 5 months to go but to be honest I don't know if we can stay here that long.

We are both working (i hate my job) and my OH is having to work twice as hard for a lot less money than he used to earn in the UK, he is completely knackered from working outside in the heat and comes back physically drained everyday.

I am feeling terribly homesick and miss all my family and friends, from the Mum's in the school playground to work colleagues and of course my best friends and their OH's and their children. It's not that we took our friends for granted when we were in UK far from it, but being here has just made us realise that there is a void in our lives now that we know will not easily be replaced, it takes a lifetime to get the 'Best Friends' you left behind in the UK and we miss them all dreadfully. We went to King's Park and just sitting there watching the groups and families having picnics or playing a ball game, just brought it all home.

I know some of you will be thinking, God they've only been here 5 minutes, but we both now know that we want to go home and that life in Perth is not for us, the sun and the beaches are not enough to make up for the loss of all that we have left behind.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to go HOME!!!

I feel for you both,the good think it's only been a few months and you realize that people matter more than anything else and never forget it.Some will tell you to stick it out but imo I would get out as soo as you can if you both hate it and are homesick,the longer you are there the harder it is to leave.Good luck to both of you and get back to the people who matter most in your life
Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:30 pm
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all

Originally Posted by psb182
I feel for you both,the good think it's only been a few months and you realize that people matter more than anything else and never forget it.Some will tell you to stick it out but imo I would get out as soo as you can if you both hate it and are homesick,the longer you are there the harder it is to leave.Good luck to both of you and get back to the people who matter most in your life
Agree totally with all you have said.

I knew pretty much early on that Perth wasn't for me and by 5 months was looking at flights home. We end up staying for 18months in all, relatives had booked to come and see us and also had a house to sell, had that not been the case I would have been home much sooner!
Don't delay the inevitable, it will only make you miserable, it did me, get back home asap and get on with enjoying the rest of your life!

All the best
Deb xx
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

sweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nicesweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by Familytoaus
Having read some of the threads from people who have gone back HOME it has made us even more determined that WE WANT TO GO HOME.

Believe it or not we have only been here for 3 months, we rented a house on a six month lease from the middle of October, so have another 5 months to go but to be honest I don't know if we can stay here that long.

We are both working (i hate my job) and my OH is having to work twice as hard for a lot less money than he used to earn in the UK, he is completely knackered from working outside in the heat and comes back physically drained everyday.

I am feeling terribly homesick and miss all my family and friends, from the Mum's in the school playground to work colleagues and of course my best friends and their OH's and their children. It's not that we took our friends for granted when we were in UK far from it, but being here has just made us realise that there is a void in our lives now that we know will not easily be replaced, it takes a lifetime to get the 'Best Friends' you left behind in the UK and we miss them all dreadfully. We went to King's Park and just sitting there watching the groups and families having picnics or playing a ball game, just brought it all home.

I know some of you will be thinking, God they've only been here 5 minutes, but we both now know that we want to go home and that life in Perth is not for us, the sun and the beaches are not enough to make up for the loss of all that we have left behind.
It dosent matter if people think ,you have only been there 5 minutes its your life and if you are so unhappy ( As I was) then you must do whats best for you and your family (and finances) We left Melbourne after 3 months and apart from close family and friends, encountered the usual " you didnt give it long enough" ironically this was mainly from people who hadnt even ventured outside the UK. Everybody is different and until you are living somewhere you cannot fully appreciate how hard it can be. We have also encountered some negative comments on this site for returning after 3 months (not many) but the odd one.

Anyway it was the best decision we made to come home. Dont worry about what others think, the majority of people Im sure will not judge you but totally sympathise with your situation.

Good luck
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:59 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psb182
Totally. If you're in agreement, then just do it. The longer you're hear the harder and more 'locked' in you become IMO.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

We've been here 5months and booked to go back in February. I hear so much advice about stick it out, it will get better, it takes at least a year etc etc. Family here are giving us a bit of the silent treatment for our decision and think we haven't even given it a go but it is so fundamentally not right on loads of things that it will never match what we had.

The lovely thing is it has made us so appreciate what we had, friends, opportunities and day to days we took for granted that it has been a very good thing to do and personally I don't give a monkeys what others think!!
(except my mother in law.......she does scare me!!!)

But don't get into the trap of so many others of sticking it out because it 'looks better'...follow your heart and head home older, wiser and poorer!!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Familytoaus

I sometimes tell people to give it abit longer, but who am i to speak!!! i want out of here too and i get fed up with others telling me to hang in there, give it time blah blah blah.. if you know you don't want to be here, then so be it...
Do you have a house to sell? if not then it will be easier for you to leave now. I would just book the flights and go. Thats if you're in a position to do that. I did not long ago, just booked and left the next day. Had to come back though to sell my house and car. I desperately want to get back even more now.

What are your plans then?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:34 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I would say go now. You have nothing to sell and haven't as yet put down any 'roots', so have no ties. Don't end up like me. Been here over 10 years and wish to God we'd gone home in the first year. The longer you stay, the harder it becomes to make that decision to leave. Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I want to go home and for the first time in ages I've actually looked into it seriously. I'm sick to the back teeth of this place!!!:curse:
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:06 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
I want to go home and for the first time in ages I've actually looked into it seriously. I'm sick to the back teeth of this place!!!:curse:
Hi Glasgowlass, 17 years is a long time. Can you elaborate as to what makes you want to go home? As you've probably read, we have been here in Perth over 10 years and the longer you stay, the harder it is to uproot again, so I am sincerely interested in what makes you feel this way.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I miss my friends and family. I'm sick of the stinking heat in the summer, the fact that South Australia is THE most boring, dry, dusty hole of a place and is miles away from anywhere. The shops are the same wherever you go & no internet shopping in most of the shops. Just a few thinks that annoy me.
Most of all, all the sunshine in the world means nothing if you've nobody to enjoy it with so the only thing for it is to try and get home. I came here with all the optimism that new arrivals are displaying now and I have given it my absolute best shot and had enough.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

lorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of lightlorids is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I would say go now. You have nothing to sell and haven't as yet put down any 'roots', so have no ties. Don't end up like me. Been here over 10 years and wish to God we'd gone home in the first year. The longer you stay, the harder it becomes to make that decision to leave. Good luck.
can i ask why you stuck it out for so long and is there no way of getting home now?
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 6:43 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by lorids
can i ask why you stuck it out for so long and is there no way of getting home now?
It would be take me a month of Sundays to explain why we stayed. You'd think us crazy, especially as our son was very badly bullied for virtually the whole of our first year here. We ended up moving him from one school, then another. It was an horrendous time. Then my OH had a serious accident whilst working for himself and had to have neuro surgery 8 months after we arrived. Then we were broken into, TWICE! Our first car was vandalised whilst parked in a cemetery and the next car we bought was badly damaged whilst parked in a mall carpark, after only owning it for 2 days and the list goes on and on. Despite all that, plus years of court appearances fighting our builder for compensation, we are still here. Our son is doing 3rd year uni, he has a girlfriend (English) of 3 years and OH loves his work. I intend going home for good once our son has graduated from uni and he says he does also. OH is concerned about work and uprooting all over again, although when we were 'home' last, none of us wanted to come back here, especially me. So I am living in the hope we will ALL be going home either next year or the year after.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: I want to go HOME!!!

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
It would be take me a month of Sundays to explain why we stayed. You'd think us crazy, especially as our son was very badly bullied for virtually the whole of our first year here. We ended up moving him from one school, then another. It was an horrendous time. Then my OH had a serious accident whilst working for himself and had to have neuro surgery 8 months after we arrived. Then we were broken into, TWICE! Our first car was vandalised whilst parked in a cemetery and the next car we bought was badly damaged whilst parked in a mall carpark, after only owning it for 2 days and the list goes on and on. Despite all that, plus years of court appearances fighting our builder for compensation, we are still here. Our son is doing 3rd year uni, he has a girlfriend (English) of 3 years and OH loves his work. I intend going home for good once our son has graduated from uni and he says he does also. OH is concerned about work and uprooting all over again, although when we were 'home' last, none of us wanted to come back here, especially me. So I am living in the hope we will ALL be going home either next year or the year after.
Wow..you deserve an Oz survival sticker. It is harder to uproot as time goes on as you get used to things and familiarity creeps in which doesn't always equate to happiness. Good on you for being true to yourselves and I really hope it all works out for you and your family and it is not too big an upheaval. At least no-one back home can say you didn't give it a 'fair go'!!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:10 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by lorids
Wow..you deserve an Oz survival sticker. It is harder to uproot as time goes on as you get used to things and familiarity creeps in which doesn't always equate to happiness. Good on you for being true to yourselves and I really hope it all works out for you and your family and it is not too big an upheaval. At least no-one back home can say you didn't give it a 'fair go'!!
Cheers, I'll wear it with pride. I have a large and very close family back home, so I'm sure I won't have many problems settling. My father died recently and it has rocked my world. I miss talking to him so much and my mum misses him a great deal, so I really would like to be there for her and do my bit. She misses us dreadfully and it would cheer her up no end if she knew we were coming home.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Nov 22nd 2007 at 8:08 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.