Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I love it, I love it not

Wikiposts

I love it, I love it not

Old Jun 15th 2007, 5:51 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I love it, I love it not

When we lived in the hood, we were on the first floor of what's called a "shotgun flat". A brick building with a flat roof and two apartments one over the other. Three rooms in a row, front to back with the bathroom and a tiny bedroom off on one side. It's called a shotgun because you can look in the front window straight through to the back like looking down a shotgun barrel. The back room was the kitchen, middle room was usually the bedroom and the front room was the living room. We had the middle fixed as half sewing room for her and half photography studio for me. We slept in the front room right in front of a giant window. We also heard shots frequently and used to practice rolling off the bed onto the floor where we were protected from strays by the brick walls. The rent was cheap and we lived there five years, but we moved when my wife was pregnant with our first child. We wanted a place where he could play outside.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
When we lived in the hood, we were on the first floor of what's called a "shotgun flat". A brick building with a flat roof and two apartments one over the other. Three rooms in a row, front to back with the bathroom and a tiny bedroom off on one side. It's called a shotgun because you can look in the front window straight through to the back like looking down a shotgun barrel. The back room was the kitchen, middle room was usually the bedroom and the front room was the living room. We had the middle fixed as half sewing room for her and half photography studio for me. We slept in the front room right in front of a giant window. We also heard shots frequently and used to practice rolling off the bed onto the floor where we were protected from strays by the brick walls. The rent was cheap and we lived there five years, but we moved when my wife was pregnant with our first child. We wanted a place where he could play outside.
When I lived in S.A. as a young married, we had the two kids and lived in a brick house (they all are) on a very busy main road, between two freeways. The freeways were about a half mile apart and often we'd be sitting in our living room and the cops would be chasing someone and a huge gunbattle would ensue. We learnt very quickly to take the kids and go to the back of the house. Fun times.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 6:09 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you mean the M61/A580 interchange.

Everyone bitches about the i405 here in LA, but its a breeze compared to my commute from Lancashire down the M61 in to the heart of Manchester each morning. My commute was anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours, even after doing it for 6 years and learning all the back roads

Originally Posted by Paul S
surely the easiest way to miss Machester is to stay on the M6
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:05 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
Don't you mean the M61/A580 interchange.

Everyone bitches about the i405 here in LA, but its a breeze compared to my commute from Lancashire down the M61 in to the heart of Manchester each morning. My commute was anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours, even after doing it for 6 years and learning all the back roads
Where did you get on? Rawrenstall to Prestwich? That can ba a bitch at rush hour but it is a breeze later in the day.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 2:10 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Luckily here we have a house on either side and a big yard at the back with houses backing onto us. As I said the only thoughts we have of stray bullets is through the front wall/window. Our end of the block is pretty quite but we are just a few yards from being smack bang in the middle of the active area with regards to gang stuff. Still, as I said nobody bothers us and a few of 'the boys' shout hi as they pass our porch. There is a rather amusing ice cream van that Mrs Sod has just reminded me about though. I call it the hip hop ice cream van because it is graffittii'd up and instead of a silly chime it plays Tupac and such like. Must try and get it on video
Old Jun 16th 2007, 3:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
I call it the hip hop ice cream van because it is graffittii'd up and instead of a silly chime it plays Tupac and such like. Must try and get it on video
Now that I would love to see.