Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I know there are bereavement flights...

I know there are bereavement flights...

Old Dec 16th 2013, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I know there are bereavement flights...

Originally Posted by Michael
From my understanding, even for bereavement, the airlines aren't giving much of a discount these days.
The benefit is more about flexibility and ability to change flights at short notice rather than cost.

I think BA and Virgin are usually good bets for doing this, but not always best on price.

Either way, sorry to hear this SS and all the best to you and your dad!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

My husband had to go back to the UK for a funeral the other week. We only booked his flight the day before and went through a website called iEagle.com they were a good few hundred $'s cheaper than everywhere else. The flight was with American Airlines but operated with BA. They seem to have some sort of deal with American, I quickly checked now and a JFK-LHR to depart in a couple of days time is $1000. The only concern we had with this company was that the ticket wasn't issued as soon as we clicked book as it is with other sites we have used. It took a good few hours for the confirmation to come through, my husband called and managed to get through to speak to someone so we worried for nothing. Everything worked out except for the Dreamliner having mechanical problems in Toronto, resulting in a delay coming back and having to go on a plane that looked like it had been retired 10 years earlier!

Last edited by denzil75; Dec 17th 2013 at 3:12 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
My husband had to go back to the UK for a funeral the other week. We only booked his flight the day before and went through a website called iEagle.com they were a good few hundred $'s cheaper than everywhere else. The flight was with American Airlines but operated with BA. They seem to have some sort of deal with American, I quickly checked now and a JFK-LHR to depart in a couple of days time is $1000. The only concern we had with this company was that the ticket wasn't issued as soon as we clicked book as it is with other sites we have used. It took a good few hours for the confirmation to come through, my husband called and managed to get through to speak to someone so we worried for nothing. Everything worked out except for the Dreamliner having mechanical problems in Toronto, resulting in a delay coming back and having to go on a plane that looked like it had been retired 10 years earlier!
Airline ticket issuance isn't an instantaneous process, there is always a delay whoever you book through and a few hours is very common. However many companies will e-mail you straight away to at least confirm the fact that you've made a booking (rather than waiting for it to ticket). Sounds like iEagle didn't do this.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
Airline ticket issuance isn't an instantaneous process, there is always a delay whoever you book through and a few hours is very common. However many companies will e-mail you straight away to at least confirm the fact that you've made a booking (rather than waiting for it to ticket). Sounds like iEagle didn't do this.
Yes, sorry should have said booking confirmation

We were able to log back into the website and showed that the reservation was pending. Think we were both a little nervous as we've only ever booked direct with airlines over the past 7 years.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
The benefit is more about flexibility and ability to change flights at short notice rather than cost.

I think BA and Virgin are usually good bets for doing this, but not always best on price.

Either way, sorry to hear this SS and all the best to you and your dad!
That's what we found when my grandmother was dying earlier this year. The price that Delta quoted wasn't any cheaper than online, but they were willing to be flexible with changing return flights if you were traveling to get there before the end. In my case, I decided to wait until the funeral date was set.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
So todays the day I was dreading. I had a phone call last night telling me to go home. I spent a while looking online and on the phone with USAir. Despite having a ticket to travel in less than 2 weeks, the price to change the ticket to go today, tomorrow or Saturday was $6400. A single flight with 3 changes was $11,900!!!
Thats when I remembered this thread I'd started months ago and tried iEagle. I can't thank you enough. I just booked a 1 way flight for $650 flying this afternoon.
Time to get packing - thanks again
Old Apr 24th 2014, 10:48 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
So todays the day I was dreading. I had a phone call last night telling me to go home. I spent a while looking online and on the phone with USAir. Despite having a ticket to travel in less than 2 weeks, the price to change the ticket to go today, tomorrow or Saturday was $6400. A single flight with 3 changes was $11,900!!!
Thats when I remembered this thread I'd started months ago and tried iEagle. I can't thank you enough. I just booked a 1 way flight for $650 flying this afternoon.
Glad you found a reasonable fare. Wishing you well.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that but glad you got a good fare.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that you've got that dreaded call. Have a safe journey, and glad that you managed to get something more affordable.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

sorry to hear your news - been there so I understand how you must be feeling - thinking of you
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Just sat at the gate in Boston before flying to NY and on to Manchester
Old Apr 24th 2014, 4:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry to read about your dad. My condolences.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 5:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Just sat at the gate in Boston before flying to NY and on to Manchester
Sorry hear of your loss. Have a safe trip.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

So Dad did what the doctors said they wouldn't and has made somewhat of a recovery. There still isn't much of a long term future but he's hanging in there
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

So Dad did what the doctors said they wouldn't and has made somewhat of a recovery. There still isn't much of a long term future but he's hanging in there
That's great news, time to live in the present and not worry too much about what the future holds. Most important thing is that you get more time together and that you are there with him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.