Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I have lost faith in America!

I have lost faith in America!

Old Dec 20th 2015, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I have lost faith in America!

Canada is good if your low income and cant pay hundreds per month for healthcare like in the US..... But at the same time the US is generally better for the poor as social programs are largely more beneficial such as food stamps where in Canada if you cant afford food you go hungry most days since food banks are limited and some only open 1 day per month to provide 2 days of food.

If we could combine the good of each country both would be better off, but that will never happen.

As for current PM, cant be any worse then the last one in my view but time will tell.

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm struggling with the future of the WORLD. While the US has its problems, the world also has the same. How did the terrorists get their guns, ammunition, bombs in France, Belgium or The Netherlands?

Having a Canuck for a hubby, I can tell you that Canada is not a utopia either, especially now with another dynasty member in the head seat of government.

Guns can be gotten with or without gun control restrictions in place. Deranged individuals who kill at will for any reason live everywhere in the world, not just in the US.

I've 4 grandchildren who are growing up here in the US and yes, I worry about them but not with their growing up here but with the state of the world and how it will affect them in their future.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 8:49 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Er, if you read Mallory's post #118, she said almost nothing about DerryGal, the only thing that post #118 says about DG is an incidental comment in the last sentence about DG's daughter. DerryGal seems to have got entirely the wrong end of the stick.
Thank you!

If nothing else, it was confusing. Sheeeeshhhh .... everybody is so techy.

Everybody is pissed off and flouncing now though so nobody will ever read this post.
Old Dec 20th 2015, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Thank you!

Everybody is pissed off and flouncing now though so nobody will ever read this post.
I read it! It warms the cockles of my heart to know the old BE is still flaming away!

Happy Holidays Everyone!
Old Dec 20th 2015, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!

I'm not flouncing. I was just trying to stop people being judgemental and making snide remarks .

But I'll just go back to being a dumb blonde with no opinion worth listening to.

Old Dec 21st 2015, 12:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I'm not flouncing. I was just trying to stop people being judgemental and making snide remarks .

But I'll just go back to being a dumb blonde with no opinion worth listening to.

Ssssshhhh We're not going to fall out over this silliness.

I don't disagree with you, Mallory was giving the OP hell, you were perfectly within reason with what you said. Some agree some disagree. I was just trying to keep up because I don't actually know any of the back stories ... of which there seems to be several.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 12:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go back?
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Ssssshhhh We're not going to fall out over this silliness.

I don't disagree with you, Mallory was giving the OP hell, you were perfectly within reason with what you said. Some agree some disagree. I was just trying to keep up because I don't actually know any of the back stories ... of which there seems to be several.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Go back?
Tosser
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:27 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Tosser
I thought you went on a trike ride to calm down.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hey BE family, I'm the OPs other half for those that are confused on that. And damn, did this thread go way OT. So just to clarify a few things, my OH has more than stepped up to the plate this whole past year. For the first 3 or so months of our daughter's life, he was the primary caregiver as I wasn't able to take care of her at all. Not only that, but he was taking care of me while I was in rehab, and holding down a full time job. On top of all this, his mum passed away in Feb, after going downhill quite quickly. It's been the hardest year of our lives in so many ways, so it really doesn't surprise me that my OH is unhappy with things here in the U.S.

He really hasn't said anything here that I haven't read other expats say, so I don't understand how this thread became so heated.

I have said that at this point in my recovery, I'm not comfy going back to Europe, and I'm not sure if I ever will be. Hence we thought of Canada as being a possibility given they do have cultural differences from the U.S.. But we aren't packing bags to move anywhere yet. Just thinking out loud a bit. We've just moved out from my mom's into our own place, and we will wait and see how it goes ya know.

Thank you for those that have been following our story all these years. Don't have any falling out on our behaves.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just to bring a few smiles to everyone's face, here's a pic of our cheeky girl!
Attached Thumbnails I have lost faith in America!-20151207_170908.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2015, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Just to bring a few smiles to everyone's face, here's a pic of our cheeky girl!
Gorgeous

Good to hear from you x
Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

So that's what as been happening to you, Blue Grass. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering. Apparently, I've been out of the loop as I didn't know that you had MS. I did know that you both were hopscotching between Scotland and the US over the course of your marriage and that you were pregnant.

Sorry to hear of your illness but love seeing that your daughter is as cute as a button.

You're an American, as I am, and honestly, I don't see what all is the problem. The issues mentioned are not prevalent country wide and some are just nearly non-existent.

Life is what you make of it. Canada is not a utopia as I mentioned in a previous post and my Canadian husband was only to glad to leave it behind.

Anyhoo, wishing you better health and a bright and happy new year.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Hey BE family, I'm the OPs other half for those that are confused on that. And damn, did this thread go way OT. So just to clarify a few things, my OH has more than stepped up to the plate this whole past year. For the first 3 or so months of our daughter's life, he was the primary caregiver as I wasn't able to take care of her at all. Not only that, but he was taking care of me while I was in rehab, and holding down a full time job. On top of all this, his mum passed away in Feb, after going downhill quite quickly. It's been the hardest year of our lives in so many ways, so it really doesn't surprise me that my OH is unhappy with things here in the U.S.

He really hasn't said anything here that I haven't read other expats say, so I don't understand how this thread became so heated.

I have said that at this point in my recovery, I'm not comfy going back to Europe, and I'm not sure if I ever will be. Hence we thought of Canada as being a possibility given they do have cultural differences from the U.S.. But we aren't packing bags to move anywhere yet. Just thinking out loud a bit. We've just moved out from my mom's into our own place, and we will wait and see how it goes ya know.

Thank you for those that have been following our story all these years. Don't have any falling out on our behaves.
Do either of you have Canadian citizenship?

Just asking since health conditions were mentioned, and the limit as to what they deem excessive demand for medical care isn't all that high for immigration if not being sponsored by a spouse.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lansbury
I thought you went on a trike ride to calm down.
I have lost faith in America!-2015-12-19-12.56.40.jpg

I'm always calm! (And quite laid back by the looks of it!!)

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Dec 21st 2015 at 3:57 am.
Old Dec 21st 2015, 4:59 am
Just Joined

uwharries is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Hi All

Come next May, it will be 12 years since I moved to the US. Now more than ever I am truly struggling to be optimistic about the future of the US for myself, let alone for my wife and daughter. A whole host of issues are driving this feeling I have, including the lack of gun control, climate science denial, abuse of woman's rights, bigotry etc.....

Therefore I wanted to reach out to the BE community and find out amongst expats and Americans alike, if any of you feel the same way or if I am alone in how I feel? If there are others out there feeling the same way, are you also seriously considering turning your back on America and moving elsewhere? I am really interested if any of you are considering trying to move to places like Canada or back to Europe. In the last 4 years, my OH and I have tried to go back to Scotland, but those two attempts didn't work for us, but in hindsight I wish we had succeeded there. I am not saying these places are perfect, but I just feel that at least in these other places they are trying to do the right thing, unlike here in America.

Any advise and support will be welcome.

Cheers,

Highlandpenguin
I encourage you to make any sacrifice needed to leave our shores. Surely you have family in the U.K. who will take you in until you can connect with the British benefits system. Your extreme fear and loathing of the U.S. and inability to change your locale to reflect your leftist leanings indicate that you will need a paternalistic state in which to live and that you will just remain miserable here and likely make your unfortunate American neighbors miserable as well. Please take a leap of faith and repatriate immediately. Bon voyage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.