Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

I got called 'an arrogant s**t' today..

I got called 'an arrogant s**t' today..

Old Oct 14th 2021, 2:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: I got called 'an arrogant s**t' today..

Originally Posted by caretaker
I never see or hear the word ex-pat outside of this forum, and I'm kind of surprised someone took any interest, good or bad.
Some do and it happens.

Just yesterday I got told by some old boy that used to apparently be a town councilor that if he was still a councilor he would have "put you bluddy pom in your place" This was at an art class.

My crime it seems was to query a bring a plate thing in a couple of weeks time. The old geezer was arranging a little out of art class meet up for his fellow kiwis & I inadvertently took that to mean inclusive. Oops
Old Oct 14th 2021, 8:47 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Some do and it happens.
Just yesterday I got told by some old boy that used to apparently be a town councilor that if he was still a councilor he would have "put you bluddy pom in your place" This was at an art class.
My crime it seems was to query a bring a plate thing in a couple of weeks time. The old geezer was arranging a little out of art class meet up for his fellow kiwis & I inadvertently took that to mean inclusive. Oops
Just my opinion, but you're better off not going. I would be inclined to take some revenge, but that is one of my character flaws and I'm not proud of it.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I often describe myself as someone who "probably stole someone's job to come over here and get rid of lots of jobs" that usually helps break the ice.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 4:22 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to call myself a filthy foreigner.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well being in a Commonwealth country if I am asked I just tell them that the Queen sent me to show you lot how to do the job. Seems to work for me.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I never see or hear the word ex-pat outside of this forum, and I'm kind of surprised someone took any interest, good or bad.

I also have never seen expat used outside this forum ............ in modern days that is.

Plenty of novels about Brits in the old colonies, such as Australia, Canada and African and Asian countries who were almost always called Expats ................. heavy drinking, authoritarian types in executive and ruling positions, or the black sheep of the family sent abroad to get them out of sight and out of mind.

The kind that led to the Aussies calling almost all Brits "b****y Poms" .............. still very commonly used when we lived in Australia in the mid-1970s.

I've always seen it as a derogatory term, and obviously don't use it myself or for myself.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
the black sheep of the family sent abroad to get them out of sight and out of mind.
Those were the Remittance Men, and many colorful stories have been written about them in the Canadian West.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t understand why there should be so much animosity against Brits, after all they speak with an accent…not us.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 5:35 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Plenty of novels about Brits in the old colonies, such as Australia, Canada and African and Asian countries who were almost always called Expats ................. heavy drinking, authoritarian types in executive and ruling positions, or the black sheep of the family sent abroad to get them out of sight and out of mind.
I have often thought I was born too late. I should have been a District Commissioner in southern Africa somewhere.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don’t understand why there should be so much animosity against Brits, after all they speak with an accent…not us.
Only animosity I've come across is when I tell people how much better we do something in England, and I don't understand why the Americans don't do it that way too. Why they get all upset when good advice is offered I have no idea.
Old Oct 14th 2021, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Only animosity I've come across is when I tell people how much better we do something in England, and I don't understand why the Americans don't do it that way too. Why they get all upset when good advice is offered I have no idea.
LOL, brilliant. I do actually do that sometimes at work, but with good reason. In my job, there’s a standard that pretty much the whole world follows, except one country………..
Old Oct 14th 2021, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian's dont take very kindly to being told something is better in another country, especially if you say something is better in the US, oh does that ever get Canadians riled up.

Old Oct 14th 2021, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't you be posting on britishexpats.ca not britishexpats.com? The .com(US) version is much better, wouldn't you agree?
Old Oct 14th 2021, 11:55 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canadian's dont take very kindly to being told something is better in another country, especially if you say something is better in the US, oh does that ever get Canadians riled up.
That makes sense … it normally takes significant effort to get a visa / move to another country, so why would anyone bother if it was not better in the new country they moved to. Most people make the effort because they think they will have a better life overall somewhere. That’s why I moved to the US from the UK.
Old Oct 15th 2021, 12:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just my opinion, but you're better off not going. I would be inclined to take some revenge, but that is one of my character flaws and I'm not proud of it.
Oh. I'm not wanting to keep any sort of company with that old goat now I've seen his inner workings. He can bog right off.

I'm plotting.

Old Oct 15th 2021, 1:13 am
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by BEVS
Oh. I'm not wanting to keep any sort of company with that old goat now I've seen his inner workings. He can bog right off.
I'm plotting.
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time , and try not to let interfere with enjoying the class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.