Hurricane Irma

Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Originally Posted by Lord PercyPercy
Because they're pinkos and their lives aren't worth worrying about

No, really I think it's because Cuba is after all those you have mentioned. It will be covered, but I imagine because media access may be limited it wont be as comprehensive as you'll see from PR. Barbuda by all accounts has been flattened.

Haiti is also rarely mentioned, despite sharing an island with Dominican Republic. Pat Robertson is usually the only one that mentions Haiti and I'd really rather he didn't.
I don't remember much, ever, on Cuba historically when it comes to hurricane coverage. I would say you are probably right - it comes (geographically) after all the other islands, and more importantly, US media has access to all those other islands. So they can do field reports and have photographs and videos from the other islands, but not Cuba, they can't do much more than just report that it hit there.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I don't remember much, ever, on Cuba historically when it comes to hurricane coverage. I would say you are probably right - it comes (geographically) after all the other islands, and more importantly, US media has access to all those other islands. So they can do field reports and have photographs and videos from the other islands, but not Cuba, they can't do much more than just report that it hit there.
The only thing I ever hear about Cuba and hurricanes is how good it is that their mountainous regions tear apart big storms, naturally nothing about the plight of the Cuban people.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I ever hear about Cuba and hurricanes is how good it is that their mountainous regions tear apart big storms, naturally nothing about the plight of the Cuban people.
Yes, and as you know, US citizens and businesses have severe restrictions on traveling to Cuba, that UK citizens do not have.

NBC can't just send a reporter and a camera crew there, the way the BBC might; aside from the restrictions on the US end, the Cuban Government also has to let them in and accredit them, and the Castros aren't big on letting foreign journalists film and broadcast embarrassing things like natural disasters, desperate citizens and the lack of an adequate government response to that.

As well, I think Cuba's geography due south of Florida may play a part - the brunt of a storm hitting Cuba means the brunt usually will not also hit Florida, and vice versa; it is very rare that a storm does what this one is doing, have the brunt hit Cuba and then turn quickly and also make a direct hit on Florida. Florida/Cuba are usually an either/or thing for hurricanes, and then if they turn, they usually do so after, when they are already in the Gulf of Mexico.

So once it's obvious the brunt will hit Cuba, often that means Florida will be spared the worst and the media loses interest, until it possibly turns and Texas or Louisiana are in the path, and by then Cuba is "old news" to them.

Last edited by carcajou; Sep 6th 2017 at 1:40 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Because they're pinkos and their lives aren't worth worrying about

No, really I think it's because Cuba is after all those you have mentioned. It will be covered, but I imagine because media access may be limited it wont be as comprehensive as you'll see from PR. Barbuda by all accounts has been flattened.

Haiti is also rarely mentioned, despite sharing an island with Dominican Republic. Pat Robertson is usually the only one that mentions Haiti and I'd really rather he didn't.
Yeah, but Cuba isn't even mentioned as being in the path. It's not about reporting from the street, etc., it's as though the name can't even be mentioned. I mean, the revolution was a long time ago people. And he's dead.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:04 pm. Reason: speeling
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Yeah, but Cuba isn't even mentioned as being in the path. It's not about reporting from the street, etc., it's as though the name can't even be mentioned. I mean, the revolution as a long time ago people. And he's dead.
Ha. Yeah.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, the revolution was a long time ago people. And he's dead.
I really should have that made into a t-shirt and take a walk through Miami, those old Cubans don't seem to understand that.

For what it's worth the forecasting models have it now missing Cuba just to the north.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Even here in NE GA it's something to be looking at - of course the forecast track for a week out is going to take some firming up, I have seen projections that see it hit the tip of FL head on and go up the middle of the state, but also ones that have it remain at a Cat 5 and trace up the Atlantic seaboard.

At this point there is no real way to tell what will happen, except if I was in Miami/Dade I would be GTFO now.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:19 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Looks like here in Pensacola, we'll escape the brunt of it but I'm scheduled to fly to the UK on Sunday (from Orlando )

I'm expecting that to either be cancelled or, at the least, re-scheduled.
Can you fly out of Gulfport instead or even drive further west and fly from Nola? Where is your connecting flight?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Can you fly out of Gulfport instead or even drive further west and fly from Nola? Where is your connecting flight?
The flight is with Thomas Cook direct from Orlando to Manchester and is non-refundable. Flying from elsewhere would cost more money.

We originally booked for myself and wife to go for Christmas but I used my ticket in April when my father was taken ill. I rebooked for next week just so the ticket wasn't wasted.

I could re-schedule it for later but they charge £100 re-booking fee. I'm hoping that by Friday, they will allow me to change it FOC (that's what they're doing for Caribbean flights at the moment).
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:41 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but Cuba isn't even mentioned as being in the path. It's not about reporting from the street, etc., it's as though the name can't even be mentioned. I mean, the revolution was a long time ago people. And he's dead.
I believe he died of old age because political assassination is "incompatible with American principle, international order, and morality."
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking like a bit of a nightmare scenario for SE Florida, Miami taking a direct hit and then going all the way up the coast before hitting Georgia/SC still as an extremely strong storm. Time for it to change, but I'd be getting out of Miami if I was down there.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Looking like a bit of a nightmare scenario for SE Florida, Miami taking a direct hit and then going all the way up the coast before hitting Georgia/SC still as an extremely strong storm. Time for it to change, but I'd be getting out of Miami if I was down there.
For years we have been toying with the idea of buying a place in Florida for the winter sun. Just as we had decided to head down to Ft L in a couple of weeks to look at places this happens. Maybe Canada isn't such a bad place after all.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I see that Disney will be shut again. I didn't realize I was in Tampa,Florida the first time they shut Disney for a hurricane Floyd back in 1999. All I remember is a lot of rain and then a beautiful day after it passed.

Will Disney World Close Due to Hurricane Irma?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 6:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For years we have been toying with the idea of buying a place in Florida for the winter sun. Just as we had decided to head down to Ft L in a couple of weeks to look at places this happens. Maybe Canada isn't such a bad place after all.
While a rarity in your neck of Canada, NS does have hurricanes more frequently than you would imagine. We have to contend with tornadoes and see the same, if not worse, devastation when one hits. I've lived through two tornadoes in New York, one in the Bronx/Westchester border and one in Sleepy Hollow, NY and one in Massachusetts on the CT/MA border. Guess no place is immune.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Try New Mexico instead ? As far as I can see, there are no tornados, no earthquakes, no hurricanes, and no active volcanoes. What's not to like ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.