Hurricane Irma

Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Originally Posted by RICH
I'm in Pinellas county / St Petersburg. Planning to stay put, but prepared to leg it to a nearby shelter if the house starts to fail.

Nothing but a stiff breeze so far...
No, no, no - this is going to get you killed. I mean that in all seriousness. Go back and read earlier posts about what to do if your house starts to fail and you are stuck [or do some quick research from government and news sites]. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I see you have posted this 15 minutes ago - if you are uncertain, go to the shelter now while it is still just a "stiff breeze."

Going outside to "leg it" to a shelter in a major hurricane is a death wish and not a viable "Plan B." You are spoiled for choice as to what will kill you, from debris hitting you in a 150 mph wind gust, to roads being blocked from debris and stranding you, to your car rolling over while you are in it.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 7:07 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
No, no, no - this is going to get you killed. I mean that in all seriousness. Go back and read earlier posts about what to do if your house starts to fail and you are stuck [or do some quick research from government and news sites]. DO NOT GO OUTSIDE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I see you have posted this 15 minutes ago - if you are uncertain, go to the shelter now while it is still just a "stiff breeze."

Going outside to "leg it" to a shelter in a major hurricane is a death wish and not a viable "Plan B." You are spoiled for choice as to what will kill you, from debris hitting you in a 150 mph wind gust, to roads being blocked from debris and stranding you, to your car rolling over while you are in it.
I hear you but I am not asking for advice, just sharing my experience. I may get in the truck and head to Orlando in the morning.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:43 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that's why I'm asking. I knew he left Miami but I don't know where he went. Entirely possible he left Miami and went into another hurricane alley town - people do odd things in these circumstances.

If he's in the Tampa Bay area, he needs to consider carefully his situation, and if he is going to leave, do so as soon as possible (and listen to local authority advice if they say, too late to leave).

If he's in "north central Florida" like the Orlando or Gainesville area - that is quite different from being in Ft Myers or Tampa. He needs to take his cue from what the local authorities are saying - and consider if evacuating is actually necessary or an overreaction. If I was in a sturdy hotel in Orlando or Gainesville that wasn't in a flood zone - I doubt very much I would leave there.

No. It's not "entirely possible". He told us exactly where he was staying and that he was already aware that the storm was tracking west. The following post, that he made in this thread, was your first clue . . .

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Thanks Rete. I might take you up on that.

We are almost to Ocala after 8 hours, but 2 of those were spent waiting for AAA when the car wouldn't start after a gas stop. Battery on an 18 month old SUV...!

We used gas buddy to find a gas station with no wait. Waze has probably shaved a few hours off the trip by routing us around heavy traffic on the turnpike this morning.

We're staying near Gainesville for the night and will decide where we go after getting an update tomorrow. It looks like this one might keep moving west.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
No. It's not "entirely possible". He told us exactly where he was staying and that he was already aware that the storm was tracking west. The following post, that he made in this thread, was your first clue . . .
Thank you for validating what I wrote. Somehow, in 13 pages of thread, I missed the one post where he mentioned that he was in Ocala. As he has mentioned that he was also having car trouble, and is not in the Tampa area - more reason for him not to go anywhere!
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I really hope you get through this. I have experienced 100 mph winds and moving was difficult, not to mention the flying projectiles. 150 mph winds, I doubt if you could move very much at all in those types of winds. Good luck

It doesn't look too bad this morning, This is a wbecam if anyone is interested https://app.truelook.com/?twresort=t...de=yes#tl_live

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 10th 2017 at 1:35 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the good wishes.

We're 30 miles inland between Ocala and Gainesville. I was considering moving further East but we are outside the predicted path and there's a lot of rain right now.

Also, we are very prepared and in a much better position than millions of others much less fortunate than me. I'm in a brick house, with a storm proof basement, on a farm; we have generators for essentials, a well, propane tanks for the grill, a wood stove, and edible wildlife/animals if things got really bad. We should be ok.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're 30 miles inland between Ocala and Gainesville. I was considering moving further East but we are outside the predicted path and there's a lot of rain right now.

Also, we are very prepared and in a much better position than millions of others much less fortunate than me. I'm in a brick house, with a storm proof basement, on a farm; we have generators for essentials, a well, propane tanks for the grill, a wood stove, and edible wildlife/animals if things got really bad. We should be ok.
This sounds like an excellent position to ride this out in. Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good morning!

Sounds like a good plan.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I almost forgot.... I also have an appropriate amount of liquor and beer
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:31 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Good man!!
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:33 pm
WTF?

I hear you but I am not asking for advice, just sharing my experience. I may get in the truck and head to Orlando in the morning.
Keep us updated when you can and stay safe!
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, please heed Carcajou.
I'm not personally experienced with hurricanes but I have a (reasonably) sensible wife who is third generation Bradenton and has sat through many hurricanes she, and many of the older families who've farmed this area for generations have fled (and feel guilty that they've left friends behind who aren't willing/able to leave). If the 'old hands' are fleeing have fled when they haven't before there has to some reasoning behind the decision.

I on the other hand have witnessed local construction methods. Pre 1992 they are wildly differing and I personally wouldn't be willing to trust my life to most of these structures. For a hurricane as strong as is predicted I'd be very wary of some post '92 fully coded buildings. If you aren't in a block built house you might want to reconsider staying.
Please keep safe, buildings can be rebuilt, missing/defunct body parts are not so easy to deal with.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a large bottle of Grand Marnier? If so I'll head right down there...sod the weather.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Do you have a large bottle of Grand Marnier? If so I'll head right down there...sod the weather.
Or something topical

Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by mrken30
No thank you...I only drink GM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.