Hurricane Irma

Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Originally Posted by tom169
Okay please forgive my ignorance, but as a recent resident of the USA, is this normal?
Not this size, no. Hurricanes like Irma are once-in-a-generation, which as I stated will be part of the problem.

Smaller hurricanes (Category 1 and 2, and the odd Category 3) do come and go but rarely cause much damage other than inconvenience.

Category 4 and 5 hurricanes will only hit a particular place every 20-40 years. So, people go through the smaller hurricanes, think a 4 or a 5 will just be a bit more rain and a bit more wind, and under-prepare and under-react.

Those of you still in South Florida: I advise you to get a very good PAPER or PLASTIC road map. If it hits as a 4 or a 5, many of the unconscious neighbourhood markers you are used to seeing and using to find your way around - street signs, certain trees, a neighbour's distinctive fence - could well be gone and you may get hopelessly lost in a place you've lived for 10 years. This happened quite a bit after Hurricane Andrew. Downloading a map on your phone may not work if you run out of battery and there isn't electricity yet. Having a map means you can count off streets to your house from a main arterial and find your direction that way.

As well, the poster who mentioned packing tape on the windows - supposedly the effect is that, while it won't stop the window from breaking, it will keep the broken pieces in fairly large bits (so, no shattering into a thousand pieces). I have never bothered with that though - it is a pain to get the tape off unbroken windows.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Hurricane Andrew wiped the city of Homestead off the map in Southern Florida back in 1992. It has since been rebuilt and will again take a direct hit from a category 5 hurricane. This time one of my former co-workers is living there with her husband and 2 children. Hope they have left for New York.
It was rebuilt, physically, but never recovered and never again was the place it once was.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Boiler
I remember reading the history of the area, was essentially bypassed until the 1920's, prior to that most of the population lived in the far north, can not help thinking there was a reason.
That's correct. There was no transport, no air conditioning, and much of the place was a swamp. When the East Coast Railroad was built (Henry Flagler, closely connected to Standard Oil and the Rockefellers, spearheaded that), that made transporting large numbers of people viable, and when air conditioning could be mass produced, that made it possible for large numbers of people to actually stay without maniacal misery from the heat and humidity.

Flagler intended South Florida to be a resort for northeasterners, but it just grew and grew and grew. That is also why "The South" effectively stops at Orlando - northerners were the ones who came to South Florida because of the railroad. It wasn't built to give South Florida connectivity with "southern" cities like Atlanta etc.

People couldn't forecast hurricanes back then and when they hit, it was a total surprise.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

British government statement this morning -

"No British nationals have yet contacted us to ask for assistance."

(Foreign Office minister Alan Duncan, in the House of Commons.)

Great, so the British response has been totally satisfactory so far!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
...of course
I gave my opinion. You are free to do the same. I won't be debating you, maybe somebody else will.

Or you could just sulk.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:47 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Not this size, no. Hurricanes like Irma are once-in-a-generation, which as I stated will be part of the problem.

As well, the poster who mentioned packing tape on the windows - supposedly the effect is that, while it won't stop the window from breaking, it will keep the broken pieces in fairly large bits (so, no shattering into a thousand pieces). I have never bothered with that though - it is a pain to get the tape off unbroken windows.
I would say a little more common than you state, but of course still not common. Also as they follow different tracks a place might go 60-70 years without a big one.

Satnav is THE solution to getting about so long as roads are generally passable, itll show the options better.

Re tape on windows, the preferred solution is to have sheets of thin explosafe plastic stuck to the windows - not at the time of course - - bit like tinting on a car but its very strong polycarbon film. Sticks the bits together even if it breaks. Also of course double glazed windows are 3-5 times stronger as the cushion of gas inside absorbs a lot of energy.

Here we dont see many in theory, 12 degrees N is considered south of the belt for insurance purposes.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:50 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
British government statement this morning -

"No British nationals have yet contacted us to ask for assistance."

(Foreign Office minister Alan Duncan, in the House of Commons.)

Great, so the British response has been totally satisfactory so far!
Thats what the british officials said after the agra massacre, 'no indians requested assistance' said the officer, 'exactly how does a 6 year old shot with a lee enfield rifle request assistance?' said the judge...
Old Sep 7th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
The flight is with Thomas Cook direct from Orlando to Manchester and is non-refundable. Flying from elsewhere would cost more money.

We originally booked for myself and wife to go for Christmas but I used my ticket in April when my father was taken ill. I rebooked for next week just so the ticket wasn't wasted.

I could re-schedule it for later but they charge £100 re-booking fee. I'm hoping that by Friday, they will allow me to change it FOC (that's what they're doing for Caribbean flights at the moment).
Well, I was able to cancel the trip and get a full refund of my non-refundable ticket.

Result!
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

GA is beginning to take things seriously, we in NE GA are starting to receive patients evacuated from the Brunswick/Savannah area.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well, lots of people are at work today. It appears a lot of my colleagues are staying put, figuring they have supplies, shutters, and strapped roofs.

Lots of people are worried about having to make a long drive without guarantees of being able to get gasoline, so they don't want to get stuck on the road.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Well, lots of people are at work today. It appears a lot of my colleagues are staying put, figuring they have supplies, shutters, and strapped roofs.

Lots of people are worried about having to make a long drive without guarantees of being able to get gasoline, so they don't want to get stuck on the road.
I heard cars and gas stations were running out of gas. I-95 looks like a nightmare. I wonder how long it would take to get from Miami to the state line with traffic crawling along?

On TV yesterday it showed a guy with a pick up truck...the back was full of gas containers. He was filling them up for the journey.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

We've been running out of gas and water since Monday up here and we're on the least likely side of FL to get anything that destructive. Schools are shut to be used as shelters, so my son is pretty happy about that.

This is the first real big storm that's come our way since I came in 2006, so I've had a good run. Ready to invest in storm shutters after this though, the sound of things hitting windows last year during Matthew was mildly disconcerting but something the size of Irma could easily blow out the windows, never mind just throwing debris at them.

I hope people in Miami and elsewhere in SE Florida are able to leave quickly enough or find rock solid structures to shelter in, this is no storm to mess around with. Leave now, or dig in. Indecision is dangerous.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I heard cars and gas stations were running out of gas. I-95 looks like a nightmare. I wonder how long it would take to get from Miami to the state line with traffic crawling along?

On TV yesterday it showed a guy with a pick up truck...the back was full of gas containers. He was filling them up for the journey.
My sister has been on the road since 5 am this morning and is still quite a ways from Route 10 in the Panhandle. She is traveling 75 and lives well above Miami. If memory serves, Naples to South Beach was approximately 1-1/2 hours and then Naples to Ft. Myers was about 40 minutes. So a good 2 hours north of Miami on the east coast.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

We are probably going to be told to evacuate by Saturday at the latest. My neighbor has been putting hurricane shutters up all day. We have plywood that we are going to put over all the windows and the glass doors in our dining room that go out to the backyard. My kids' school is closed until at least Wednesday. I am going to pick up sandbags tomorrow, and now that my kids are off school they can help me.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 7:41 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke with my bro-in-law in Florida yesterday. They live on the Gulf Coast 40 miles north of Fort Myers.
He didn't see the sense in getting stuck in a traffic jam and then being hit by the storm. The local high school is next to their home and it will be open as a shelter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.