Hurricane Irma

Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Originally Posted by tom169
Okay please forgive my ignorance, but as a recent resident of the USA, is this normal?
We always get tropical storms but this one is huge. Because of the size, the path it's on, and the memory of Harvey fresh in everyone's mind, a lot of people are panicking.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
We always get tropical storms but this one is huge. Because of the size, the path it's on, and the memory of Harvey fresh in everyone's mind, a lot of people are panicking.
I prefer to think they overestimate the destruction the hurricanes...but better safe than sorry.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:54 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maybe we can agree to disagree. For a Brit living in the NJ since 1996...devastating storms..tornadoes, hurricanes etc...plus winter storms...are all part of life in various parts of the US. All of which Brits 'back home' have never experienced on the scale it occurs in the US.
There's nothing to debate. The recent increases in super-storms, specifically hurricanes, are well documented and easily researched on the internet. I'm not a mind reader but I'm assuming that Tom was asking about back to back hurricanes with two more forming over the Atlantic, as we speak. This is a hurricane thread and two of the strongest hurricanes in recorded history have just happened within week(s) of each other. We can unpack tornadoes and winter storms but I didn't assume he was asking about those types of storms given the current situation and the title of the thread. I just hope that Irma turns back out to the Atlantic but, even if that happens, it's already on record as the largest hurricane in recorded history.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 7th 2017 at 3:59 am. Reason: past my bedtime
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:57 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Glad to see you avoided BE Jail.

I survived the storm.

(Too soon?)
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
There's nothing to debate. The recent increases in super-storms, specifically hurricanes, are well documented and easily researched on the internet. I'm not a mind reader but I'm assuming that Tom was asking about back to back hurricanes with two more forming over the Pacific, as we speak. This is a hurricane thread and two of the strongest hurricanes in recorded history have just happened within week(s) of each other. We can unpack tornadoes and winter storms but I didn't assume he was asking about those types of storms given the current situation and the title of the thread. I just hope that Irma turns back out to the Pacific but, even if that happens, it's already on record as the largest hurricane in recorded history.
Pacific...Atlantic surely.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 3:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You'll be surprised how many are staying. I'm probably leaving tomorrow evening.
Bring a tent and I'll let you set it up in the back yard. Free use of the facilities The kiddies can go to my daughter's house and room with her kids. Sorry but the guest room here is housing my Sis who gave you the hurricane shutter info last year.

Last edited by Rete; Sep 7th 2017 at 4:04 am.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:01 am
WTF?

Pacific...Atlantic surely.
I caught it. Shut up.

Edit to add:
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing to debate..
...of course
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:09 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer to think they overestimate the destruction the hurricanes...but better safe than sorry.
Hurricane Andrew wiped the city of Homestead off the map in Southern Florida back in 1992. It has since been rebuilt and will again take a direct hit from a category 5 hurricane. This time one of my former co-workers is living there with her husband and 2 children. Hope they have left for New York.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I survived the storm.

(Too soon?)
Good to hear, we are all adult ish here but you never know.

Quite a few people around me are seasonal visitors for Texas or Florida. Friend of mine took nearly the last plane out of Houston and I have a few more coming by in a few weeks. Sometimes the Floridians will start heading back now if the weather goes sour, probably not this year.

Local news seems mainly interested in Coloradans in Florida which when it is the same country seems a bit weird.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Hurricane Andrew wiped the city of Homestead off the map in Southern Florida back in 1992. It has since been rebuilt and will again take a direct hit from a category 5 hurricane. This time one of my former co-workers is living there with her husband and 2 children. Hope they have left for New York.
I remember reading the history of the area, was essentially bypassed until the 1920's, prior to that most of the population lived in the far north, can not help thinking there was a reason.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:25 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Nicked from Facebook Hold my beer
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Bring a tent and I'll let you set it up in the back yard. Free use of the facilities The kiddies can go to my daughter's house and room with her kids. Sorry but the guest room here is housing my Sis who gave you the hurricane shutter info last year.
Thanks. I might end up your way too
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for insight into the current weather, Leslie, JG and others.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing to debate. The recent increases in super-storms, specifically hurricanes, are well documented and easily researched on the internet. I'm not a mind reader but I'm assuming that Tom was asking about back to back hurricanes with two more forming over the Atlantic, as we speak. This is a hurricane thread and two of the strongest hurricanes in recorded history have just happened within week(s) of each other. We can unpack tornadoes and winter storms but I didn't assume he was asking about those types of storms given the current situation and the title of the thread. I just hope that Irma turns back out to the Atlantic but, even if that happens, it's already on record as the largest hurricane in recorded history.
Working in disaster management, we spend our lives watching the development of weather systems worldwide, and read reports in the destruction from numerous sources.

Frequent discussions at work have repeatedly brought up the fact that huge storms, of the ilk of Harvey and Irma are becoming more common.
We've had major shifts to the weather patterns in Australia over the last couple of years - NSW and Victoria being battered with the type of frequent storms that Queensland used to get. The storms are larger and more frequent.
When it comes to the UK even, there have been shifts in the severity of storms there - more serious ones are far more common than when I was growing up there.
And the US has definitely come in for more serious storms of all kinds - hurricanes, snow, whatever. The patterns have shifted worldwide and the severity of the storms that occur is growing.

Generally governments will err on the side of caution when warning of devastation, on the grounds that its better to have people move to safety than stay and die. However if they overestimate too much they create a 'cry wolf' situation and people stop taking any notice. So its a fine line when working out what devastation to warn about - not helped by the fact that Mother Nature can move the path of a system at any time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.