Hurricane Irma

Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hurricane Irma

She is just about to hit some of the Caribbean islands with winds up to 185 mph. Then it looks like she will be heading to Florida and some of the south eastern states.

The Florida Keys are now under mandatory evacuation.

To all our members in the Sunshine State...take care and stay safe.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/us/hur...rep/index.html

There is another thread re Irma in the Caribbean forum...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/carib...e-irma-902875/
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hurricane Irma

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She is just about to hit some of the Caribbean islands with winds up to 185 mph. Then it looks like she will be heading to Florida and some of the south eastern states.

The Florida Keys are now under mandatory evacuation.

To all our members in the Sunshine State...take care and stay safe.

Miami gears up for Irma, plans evacuations, shelters, closings - CNN

There is another thread re Irma in the Caribbean forum...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/carib...e-irma-902875/
Cheers. Glad we're not in the islands they are really going to get the shitty end of the stick.
If it comes up this way and looks a bit dicey we'll be headed to the wife's school (which doubles up as a hurricane centre) with a couple of dogs and a few bottles of happy juice.
Trifle annoying as I've spent the last two months in our new place clearing jungle from the yard and the three really old huge oak trees hovering above our roof are quite likely to make a right mess if there's a bit of a blow...
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:11 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not an expat family but sis in Ft. Myers is evacuating their home tomorrow to come and stay with us in Mississippi. The hurricane shutters are ready to be pulled down and the screening removed from the patio and off they will go.

Miami/Dade counties are under mandatory evacuation as of tomorrow.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to buy plywood/osb and screws if you haven't already. This looks bad, category 5

Last edited by mrken30; Sep 6th 2017 at 2:17 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not an expat family but sis in Ft. Myers is evacuating their home tomorrow to come and stay with us in Mississippi. The hurricane shutters are ready to be pulled down and the screening removed from the patio and off they will go.

Miami/Dade counties are under mandatory evacuation as of tomorrow.
Mandatory? I really should stop drinking...

I'm just going to rely on the good nature of Joel Osteen. He's going to fly here on his angel wings to give us free teeth whitening kits.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Sep 6th 2017 at 5:07 am.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Hurricane Andrew (Category 5 that hit Miami straight-on) in 1992.

Will never do that again! Those of you reading this in South Florida, Southwest Florida or the Keys - evacuate to a sturdy structure such as your local emergency shelter.

As I look at the forecast map, it seems the Keys are in for a direct strike and the hurricane is then going to hit the bottom of the state and move straight up the middle.
I would be long out of the Keys by now if any of you there are reading this.

I have been in probably 20 hurricanes. There is a world of difference between a Category 1 hurricane and a Category 5 hurricane. Do not think that because you made it through a Category 1 or 2 hurricane, that this one will be nothing to worry about. Though Category 5 winds will not be uniform and the farther you are from the centre, the weaker the winds will be.

When they get to Category 3, that is when you need to consider evacuating, when they get to Category 4 or stronger, do evacuate to an emergency shelter. It isn't about flood waters (which may or may not come), it is about the wind strength and the structure of your house. Virtually all roofs sustain serious damage in Category 4 or 5 conditions and with debris flying around that fast, anything goes. In 1992 we had people's storm shutters in our lawn the morning after and were without water and electricity for 2 weeks, and I remember ships (not private boats) were tossed out of the harbours and were on main streets.

People don't just sweep away some foliage debris after a Category 4 or 5 storm, and it may take the insurance providers MONTHS to assess your damage and pay out. For months after Andrew neighbours were still living out of trailers and RVs.

If you stay: The bathtub/bathroom is the safest place in your house. Have mattresses ready - if the worst starts to happen, go into the bathtub and put the mattress over your head. WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT PANIC AND GO OUTSIDE, AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE ANYWHERE DURING THE STORM.

Good luck.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The TV weatherman has just said a cat 5 hurricane is not 5 times stronger than a cat 1...it is 500 times stronger.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 11:50 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The TV weatherman has just said a cat 5 hurricane is not 5 times stronger than a cat 1...it is 500 times stronger.
That is concerning indeed.

Good luck to all in FL and to all in the islands in its path, buena suerte.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like here in Pensacola, we'll escape the brunt of it but I'm scheduled to fly to the UK on Sunday (from Orlando )

I'm expecting that to either be cancelled or, at the least, re-scheduled.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:40 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Don't fool yourself - the whole of south Florida is currently (8.30am, Sept6) within the National Hurricane Center's "5 day cone" of probability of paths of the eye of Irma. In other words the National Hurricane Center prediction is currently such the anywhere in south Florida the eye could pass to the east or the west of you, .... or straight over the top of you!
Hmm I looked at a map of south Florida searching for Pensacola and didn't find it
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Pensacola is in the Panhandle, on the Florida-Alabama border.

I lived there for a few years - lovely town, white sand beaches. About 400,000 residents. Also quite historic by US standards - one of the historical claims to fame is that it is the City of Five Flags because five different countries have controlled it at one time or another.

Big military presence and huge Air Force bases around there - the Blue Angels are headquartered there.

Also something like 11 Waffle Houses? Maybe more now. Not bad for a town that size.

It's also something of an alternative winter hibernation spot for Canadian snowbirds. The Pensacola-Ft Walton Beach-Mobile-Biloxi/Gulfport coast is also derogatorily known as the "Redneck Riviera," often by Pensacolans themselves.

Florida's regions are very, very diverse and Pensacola is a polar opposite to Miami, at the other end of the state.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Hmm I looked at a map of south Florida searching for Pensacola and didn't find it
That's OK. Florida can be quite regional in mindset. When I lived in Pensacola, I had to explain to those I knew in South Florida - in all seriousness - both where Pensacola was, and that the state doesn't end at Orlando or Gainesville.

PS - Another Florida-ism for you - "South Florida" does not mean "the southern part of Florida." It is understood universally by Floridians to mean the Miami metropolitan area (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach and the Keys). NOT Ft Myers, Naples etc. That is not "South Florida" and is instead Southwest Florida or the Gulf Coast.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

How is it possible, when talking just about weather, that we can see a map on tv andhear the commentary on the impact on the Caribbean islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc. but not even mention Cuba when the path of the storm seems to be about to pass right over it?
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah. We're about as far west as you can go in Florida. Early yesterday, one of the ensemble predictions went straight over the top of us. This morning it's looking like it is just heading straight up the center of the Florida peninsula which puts my flight in jeopardy.

I'll continue to monitor until Friday and make my decision then (if it's not made for me). I may be able to fly out on Saturday.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond reputeLord PercyPercy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
How is it possible, when talking just about weather, that we can see a map on tv andhear the commentary on the impact on the Caribbean islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc. but not even mention Cuba when the path of the storm seems to be about to pass right over it?
Because they're pinkos and their lives aren't worth worrying about

No, really I think it's because Cuba is after all those you have mentioned. It will be covered, but I imagine because media access may be limited it wont be as comprehensive as you'll see from PR. Barbuda by all accounts has been flattened.

Haiti is also rarely mentioned, despite sharing an island with Dominican Republic. Pat Robertson is usually the only one that mentions Haiti and I'd really rather he didn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.