Hunting

Old Dec 18th 2014, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hunting

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Many hunting lands on the East Coast are almost thickets. It would not be uncommon to not get a clear shot until you're within 30ft of your target.
Now I think of I went to the Shiloh battlefield and it was pretty much impassable, the battle had caused a major fire and the scrub had grown back.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by English88
Hog to begin with but will want the option of whitetail too. I'm leaning towards a Weatherby Vanguard S2 at either 30-06 or 308 but still need to do more research. Budget around $1000 for scope & gun if possible.
You should have enough for a reasonable scope. Hunting is pretty much finished for the season here so deals are out there.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 11:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I can only speak for Colorado. Dusk and dawn are the best times. 100 yds well that is point blank and unusual. At this altitude you can see a looong way.
Even if you can see at that distance, it's about how far you can hit the target at. Try putting a deer size target up at 500 yards and see how you do. Colorado isn't really any different for hunting than Alberta and on the leeward side of the Rockies it's very windy. 100 yards is definitely not unusual by any stretch of the imagination, this is an animal you're trying to kill humanely.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Even if you can see at that distance, it's about how far you can hit the target at. Try putting a deer size target up at 500 yards and see how you do. Colorado isn't really any different for hunting than Alberta and on the leeward side of the Rockies it's very windy. 100 yards is definitely not unusual by any stretch of the imagination, this is an animal you're trying to kill humanely.
I don't see how anyone would likely hit a deer at 500 yards except in the foot unless the scope was set for 500 yards. At 500 yards the trajectory drops 55" with a 30-06. Anything above about 150 yards is a body shot unless you have enough time to calculate the distance accurately and set the scope. Also depending on air pressure (elevation) and other factors, significant inaccuracies can occur at 500 yards. If your estimate of distance is off by 50 yards (550 instead of 500 yards), your shot is off by 16".

30-06 Ballistics Chart & Coefficient GunData.org

Last edited by Michael; Dec 19th 2014 at 12:45 am.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:27 am
Account Closed

You set the scope for the range you are likely to shoot at.

Let's use that table, and you zero in at 350 yds. 500 yds you would have to aim 2ft high to hit your aim point.

If the target is moving then you have to judge the lead.

I would not go to 500 yds personally, just do have the craft, but I have friends who have been doing this for many years and are very familiar with their equipment and their capabilities.

30.06 is not very flat, other cartridges may be a better option if you have a wide range of likely target distances.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:29 am
Account Closed

Deer here are big, we are not talking Bambi.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

How big is their stomach. It's not 55" high but more like less than 2'. You could go for a shoulder shoot but that's not much better. If the stomach is 2' and your scope is 50 yards off, they'd need a high aim to hit the deer. A direct aim at the stomach won't hit the deer.

I suspect your friends are like fishermen and tell tall tales.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 19th 2014 at 3:42 am.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:53 am
Account Closed

One of my friends uses the 30 06. From his balcony he has various aim points to zero in his rifle all the way out to 1000 yards. I have seen what he can do.

Me, 30 06 and I flinch and if you look at that table you can see things get a lot more interesting over 300 yds. Without looking again pretty sure if you zeroed at 250 yards you can pretty much ignore range estimating up to 300 yds.

Also at shorter distances you can use something that is not going to hurt, 6.5 Swede for example.

Kill zone on a reasonable sized deer is about 20 inches. Aspect is also of course important.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Butchering a hogg which Is a close relative of a domestic pig I hope your aware that animals heart has to be pumping for it to bleed out correctly and the carcase would need to be hung I'm sure
Old Dec 19th 2014, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive hit a mule deer in Wyoming on i-15 North of Casper very messy
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of my friends uses the 30 06. From his balcony he has various aim points to zero in his rifle all the way out to 1000 yards. I have seen what he can do.
That is like playing on the same golf course a 100 times. When you are deer hunting in different environments, perception of distance is not the same.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
That is like playing on the same golf course a 100 times. When you are deer hunting in different environments, perception of distance is not the same.
There are two kinds of hunters, shooters and meat hunters. Shooters love to shoot animals as they give them more of a challenge. Out West it ain't unusual to see long shots, many times just for the hell of it. Since I'm a meat hunter I don't go there but I've hunted with people taking quarter mile shots at whitetail no less, which are a lot smaller than Boiler's Colorado Mulies.

As for what gun to buy, if I had to have just one gun It would be a twelve gauge shotgun. You can hunt anything with those from rabbits, birds to deer slugs for big game.

If you're hunting in heavy forest and brush an iron sight is preferable to a scope which is best suited for open country.

Deboning an animal? Lots of luck, it's a royal bitch. Better take it to a butcher.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Michael
He has hunted the area for decades so like playing his home golf course.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 4:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
Ive hit a mule deer in Wyoming on i-15 North of Casper very messy
Write off?

Stay away from Elk....
Old Dec 19th 2014, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jeepster
Deboning an animal? Lots of luck, it's a royal bitch. Better take it to a butcher.
My father used to own a rural grocery store and would get in a quarter or half side of beef each week. Most of the work was with the ban saw and then cleaning each piece with a knife and trimming the fat. The only thing I remember for deboning were chuck roasts that he got from a local farmer (probably not the best beef) that he deboned for ground beef. He also did some white tail deer and if I remember correctly, it was pretty much the same except he had to wrap several together and mark what was in it.

However that was a long time ago so I might have it wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.