Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

HSBC asking for id and address proof

HSBC asking for id and address proof

Old Dec 22nd 2015, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC asking for id and address proof

Originally Posted by theOAP
including Part III of Schedule B,
Am I the only person not making any interest on my UK accounts?
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Some really exciting reading from HSBC:

FATCA
United Kingdom | Retail Banking and Wealth Management | Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) | HSBC

CRS
The OECD's Common Reporting Standard for the Automatic Exchange of Financial Information (CRS)

Of course, the US refuses to be part of the OECD CRS.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 22nd 2015 at 11:07 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Am I the only person not making any interest on my UK accounts?
Unfortunately, Part III of Schedule B has nothing to do with whether or not you're getting any interest. Ah, FATCA, it's a grand world.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, Part III of Schedule B has nothing to do with whether or not you're getting any interest. Ah, FATCA, it's a grand world.
OOps I thought schedule B was the interest reporting and the FBAR was the FATCA reporting
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does anyone know if I am supposed to get a W-9 from contractors in the UK like I do in the US
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrken30
OOps I thought schedule B was the interest reporting and the FBAR was the FATCA reporting
First, Part III relates to IRS reporting, and then subsequently relates to both although it states it's primarily for FBAR. FATCA and FBAR are not the same animal. They are two different reporting obligations which ultimately reports basically the same thing (but not exactly the same thing). They have different thresholds. FBAR is for signature authority over foreign accounts and FATCA (Form 8938) is for foreign assets. Part III is your statement that you have foreign accounts to be reported on your FBAR if you're over the threshold (which are likely to be reported on 8938 as well if you're over the threshold for it). EDIT: You also complete Part III if you are not over the threshold for FBAR.

Last edited by theOAP; Dec 22nd 2015 at 11:19 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2015, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

First, Part III relates to IRS reporting, and then subsequently relates to both although it states it's primarily for FBAR. FATCA and FBAR are not the same animal. They are two different reporting obligations which ultimately reports basically the same thing (but not exactly the same thing). They have different thresholds. FBAR is for signature authority over foreign accounts and FATCA (Form 8938) is for foreign assets. Part III is your statement that you have foreign accounts to be reported on your FBAR if you're over the threshold (which are likely to be reported on 8938 as well if you're over the threshold for it).
It's nice to keep things simple
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Both OH and I have both received letters asking for proof of id (certified) and address from HSBC. They've said it's part of tightening security even though we have been clients of theirs for about 20 years.
Just curious to see if anyone else has had anything from them recently about this.
Yes, I received the letter a few weeks ago and my husband got the same letter last week.

They either want notarised documents or to schedule a video call for them to see the docs. I'll probably do notarised docs.

I've banked with First Direct for about 20 years too.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But you moved to the US less than two years ago, and have lived in at least three countries in the past twenty years.
I've lived in the US over eight years and have only lived in the US and UK in the last 40 years and I've received the same request...