Wikiposts

HSA for Dummies

Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSA for Dummies

Originally Posted by Leslie
I need to know how Health Savings Accounts work. ..... When the employer withholds the amount from your payroll, where does it go? Whose account does it go into and who controls the money after it's been withheld from your wages?
Others seem to have covered most aspects but my HSA contributions are paid like my salary, directly by my employer into my HSA at the bank that holds it. It goes straight to the bank, there is no intermediary step, so far as I can tell.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Others seem to have covered most aspects but my HSA contributions are paid like my salary, directly by my employer into my HSA at the bank that holds it. It goes straight to the bank, there is no intermediary step, so far as I can tell.
Mine works the same way. I can monitor it on-line and pay using a card.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You should have an HSA account number. I assume payroll probably has this aswell. Maybe ask for you account number from payroll and then contact the HSA company.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 11:21 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everybody! I am trying to dig into this a little more and it looks to me that I simply wasn't signed up by anybody for anything until I started making a stink.

I signed up for the HSA at the last minute as I realized that I would probably have a couple of thousand dollars in out of pocket expense for new glasses and some elective medical stuff.

I do not believe that the, less than helpful, agent at the company that administers the HSA (they also do Cobra and that type of thing) entered my application into the system even though he verbally acknowledged receipt of my application. My conversation with him was basically me making sure that he had everything he needed from me and his answer was "yes". But then I never got the debit card or welcome packet.

In looking back, I also noticed that my first few paychecks did not have any deductions for HSA and then they did start taking it out. Either that's how it was supposed to be or they started taking money out when I started quizzing them about it. Either way, I am contributing now and have had over $500 taken out of my checks to date. I get paid this Friday so I'll be sure to take a close look at this week's paycheck.

I'm going to shoot off some emails to the involved parties and see what happens. I need to kick somebody in the ass but I can't decide who. I don't want to throw a fit with the HSA people only to find out the problem is on the side of my company. To complicate things, my "HR" department is in another city and my "HR" department is actually my boss.

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 11th 2017 at 11:24 am.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 11:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
.... In looking back, I also noticed that my first few paychecks did not have any deductions for HSA and then they did start taking it out. Either that's how it was supposed to be or they started taking money out when I started quizzing them about it. Either way, I am contributing now and have had over $500 taken out of my checks to date. I get paid this Friday so I'll be sure to take a close look at this week's paycheck.

I'm going to shoot off some emails to the involved parties and see what happens. I need to kick somebody in the ass but I can't decide who. I don't want to throw a fit with the HSA people only to find out the problem is on the side of my company. ....
You need to ask them "Where's my HSA account?" .... That will be with a bank, or perhaps a CU.

If there is no bank account then they screwed up and need to fix it!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 11:30 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need to ask them "Where's my HSA account?" .... That will be with a bank, or perhaps a CU.

If there is no bank account then they screwed up and need to fix it!
I will!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is no benefit from having your employer manage your HSA plan, maybe a good idea to manage your own plan with your bank or CU.

The advantages would be is that you have a "cafeteria" plan and pay less tax.
Your employer adds fund to your HSA in addition to your contributions.