Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How to work or open bank account in USA?

Wikiposts

How to work or open bank account in USA?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

ikehasu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to work or open bank account in USA?

Hi, everybody.
I have been in USA over 2 weeks so far. I just wonder how to open bank account and work in USA?

I haven't apply for SS card yet, and we are marrying in August.
My friend who lives in USA said that I wan not allowed to work until I got a working permit which was different from what I had known.

Also, I have to pay enormous money for my schooling like foreign students do if I go to school before getting the Green Card. Is that true?

How long doe it take until get a working permit after we get married?

All you have a nice day!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:07 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to work or open bank account in USA?

Originally Posted by ikehasu
Hi, everybody.
I have been in USA over 2 weeks so far. I just wonder how to open bank account and work in USA?

I haven't apply for SS card yet, and we are marrying in August.
My friend who lives in USA said that I wan not allowed to work until I got a working permit which was different from what I had known.

Also, I have to pay enormous money for my schooling like foreign students do if I go to school before getting the Green Card. Is that true?

How long doe it take until get a working permit after we get married?

All you have a nice day!!
Take this form to a Social security office and get your SN
http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5fs.html

after marriage..one of the forms you file will be for a work permit
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You came on a K-1 visa. That is helpful for others to know.

Did you come through JFK and get the temp EAD stamp? If so, you are work authorized right now.

Fill out the form Ray posted, take it to your local SS office, along with your passport, K-1 visa, and I-94. Your SS card should come in the mail within 2 weeks.

After you get married and apply for AOS, one of the forms is I-765, which is for your employment authorization document. The EAD takes about 90 days to receive after applying.

In the meantime, you should be able to open a US bank account. You just need to show your passport as ID.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You came on a K-1 visa. That is helpful for others to know.

Did you come through JFK and get the temp EAD stamp? If so, you are work authorized right now.

Fill out the form Ray posted, take it to your local SS office, along with your passport, K-1 visa, and I-94. Your SS card should come in the mail within 2 weeks.

After you get married and apply for AOS, one of the forms is I-765, which is for your employment authorization document. The EAD takes about 90 days to receive after applying.

In the meantime, you should be able to open a US bank account. You just need to show your passport as ID.

Rene

What is the JFK?
You mean the EAD stamp on my passport?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:27 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the JFK?
You mean the EAD stamp on my passport?
JFK = John F. Kennedy Airport in New York.

Did you get an EAD stamp in your passport when you came to the USA? If you did, then you are work authorized right now, for your first 90 days here.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

JFK = John F. Kennedy Airport in New York.

Did you get an EAD stamp in your passport when you came to the USA? If you did, then you are work authorized right now, for your first 90 days here.

Rene
No, I came through Michigan Airport.
I have just checked my passport which has a Admitted DMA stemp.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like no work for you until sometime around November.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Looks like no work for you until sometime around November.
Why November?
Is it because I was unlucky or because they has changed their rules?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:11 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Why November?
Is it because I was unlucky or because they has changed their rules?
The stamp isn't put in your passport, it's on the back of your I-94 card, stapled into your passport. If you have it, it would say 'employment authorized'.

If you do not have a card with that stamp, you need an Employment Authorization Document/EAD, which you apply for with form I-765.
Now, you MAY apply for one as a K-1. However, the document will be valid ONLY for the 90 day K-1 admission.
That document takes about 90 days to receive, from application. When you do the math, you see the problem.

After you marry and are applying for your Adjustment of Status/AOS, you may also apply for an EAD based on THAT application (different code than for K-1).
That EAD is valid for one year, and takes about 90 days to receive, from application.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:11 am

Not sure what a DMA stamp is.

So you will be work authorized once you marry, file AOS, and receive your EAD in the mail.

November, because you will be married in August, file AOS sometime in August (we assume), and it takes 90 days to get your EAD from that time. That makes it November.

Rene
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:17 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what a DMA stamp is.
I'm gonna guess.... Detroit Metro Airport?
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm gonna guess.... Detroit Metro Airport?
hahaha...duh! Sadegh and I just came through there, I should look at my our passports and see what we got stamped!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Thank you buys.
I checked the I-94 card on my passport and I don't have EAD stemp on it.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 10:01 am

Thank you buys.
I checked the I-94 card on my passport and I don't have EAD stemp on it.
That's not unusual. I believe JFK in New York is the only POE (point of entry) which gives out the temp EAD stamp now.

Rene