Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How to use a roundabout

How to use a roundabout

Old May 1st 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to use a roundabout

Originally Posted by markonline1
I’ve had people stop in the roundabout to give way to me entering.
This is the correct protocol in Jersey, Channel Islands, at the "filter in turn" roundabouts.

Old May 1st 2020, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
There are three within a mile of my house. Coming from Swindon, I am exceptionally proud of my new home City and their penchant for bringing them over here. The best ones are the cross roads versions, which I presume replace 4 way stops, or lights. Those are the ones that create the most local confusion.
Swindon!! I was born there and lived 20 minutes away up until I left the uk back in 2014. nice to see a fellow magic roundabouter.

we have 2 roundabouts where I live, people tend to stop at each entrance to let the person waiting there get on. not sure why they think that's how it works.
Old May 1st 2020, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
I'm absolutely convinced that the problem lies in the name.

It's called a turn signal, so people seem to think they should put it on when/as they turn the vehicle.

In the UK however we call them indicators, and they should be used first and foremost to indicate (the clue is in the name...) your intention before you carry out an action, giving other drivers and opportunity to prepare and react.

I rarely saw anyone in the UK just stop in a road at a junction, put their indicator on and THEN turn into the junction since British drivers seem to implicitly understand that the point of the indicator was to show intent before slowing on approach to the junction.
I have the same issue with the 'emergency brake', it implies that it's something it's not.
Old May 2nd 2020, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

There doesn't appear to be many roundabouts in Southern California, but I think that the ones that I have seen have had YIELD painted on the road and/or signs to suggest that much. I think that those help the locals realize the need to wait for a gap versus just entering. No one seems to know (or care enough) to signal when coming off the roundabout though.
Old May 2nd 2020, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Seen a few here in the UK, and well inland, where the car in front went the wrong way round, funny enough they always had non UK plates, I wonder why that happened . I've driven a lot on European roads, not just in Spain, and NEVER made that mistake.
I confess that I did it once, Mike: many years ago and in a left-hand-drive car, straight off the ferry to France - Bologne, I think. Scared the shit out of me as soon as I realised, and I never made that mistake again.
Old May 6th 2020, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Swindon!! I was born there and lived 20 minutes away up until I left the uk back in 2014. nice to see a fellow magic roundabouter. .
I know it well, and worked nearby briefly (WHS HQ), but as I lived in London and my parents lived in Gloucester, which incidentally has more than its fair share of roundabouts too, I did on occasion take a detour off the A419 on the way to my parent's home, to visit the Magic Roundabout.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The Magic Roundabout is a marvel of engineering, or traffic management theory, whatever it is. 6 exits in total (although 4 are main thru roads, one a side street and one an entrance to the football car park) and very rarely did I ever see traffic build up beyond 7 or 8 cars back at any single roundabout - the traffic finds a way - once one route blocks, people use alternatives, which in turn free's up the original, and so on.

I'd love to see something like that plonked in Atlanta.
Old May 6th 2020, 5:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
The Magic Roundabout is a marvel of engineering, or traffic management theory, whatever it is. 6 exits in total (although 4 are main thru roads, one a side street and one an entrance to the football car park) and very rarely did I ever see traffic build up beyond 7 or 8 cars back at any single roundabout - the traffic finds a way - once one route blocks, people use alternatives, which in turn free's up the original, and so on.

I'd love to see something like that plonked in Atlanta.
From a viewing area, presumably, not from a vehicle actually in the junction.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 6th 2020 at 5:17 pm.