Wikiposts

How sad..

Old Feb 4th 2009, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Hatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How sad..

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if this place is a rental or not? If it were, you probably aren't in a position to change that kind of stuff...
You can put up gates and those plug filly thingys. It’s not that hard or expensive.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Very sad, and almost makes me sick to my stomach. As a mom of 2 young kids, jim and I both know how quickly kids can disappear or get into trouble if your turn back for even a moment.

However it would seem that this house was not child-proof, which is really something that every responsible parent would do with two small kids. What sort of idiot would have a plug 20 inches off the ground and at the very least have a childproof plug in it......
It was my understanding it was the washer start button that was only 20inches off the ground, not the actual electrical plug. Don't know about your house, but all my electrical outlets are only about 16" or so above the floor.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:32 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

The article says the machine was a front loader. I have an LG front loader, and although I haven't actually measured it, the start button is certainly low enough for a child of his age to accidently bump into or randomly push while playing.

Once you push the start button the door locks automatically, so there would have been no way the girl could have gotten out without someone pushing "pause" from the outside.

I'll bet appliance companies will be rethinking their control panels after this.

~SecretGarden
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
The article says the machine was a front loader. I have an LG front loader, and although I haven't actually measured it, the start button is certainly low enough for a child of his age to accidently bump into or randomly push while playing.

Once you push the start button the door locks automatically, so there would have been no way the girl could have gotten out without someone pushing "pause" from the outside.

I'll bet appliance companies will be rethinking their control panels after this.

~SecretGarden

Ah ok, thanks for that info. I have a top loader and was a little confused.

I think its a safe bet that the appliance companies will be adding some sort of safety device after this.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't know if this place is a rental or not? If it were, you probably aren't in a position to change that kind of stuff...
Perhaps not, but you could add a gate or something.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hatfield
You can put up gates and those plug filly thingys. It’s not that hard or expensive.
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. When my first arrived we were in an awful mess totally renovating a house. We made sure in spite of the confusion that childproof plugs and gates were added so this sort of tragedy wouldnt happen.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Hatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of lightHatfield is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by willmore
Yea, that's what I was thinking as well. When my first arrived we were in an awful mess totally renovating a house. We made sure in spite of the confusion that childproof plugs and gates were added so this sort of tragedy wouldnt happen.
I know it’s like rocket science or something.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:27 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Who the hell puts an on/off switch 20 inches off the ground on any appliance?
Attached Thumbnails How sad..-midget-wrestler-darling-dagmar.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2009, 2:42 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
That's what step stools are for.