Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

how is online schooling going?

how is online schooling going?

Old Sep 30th 2020, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how is online schooling going?

Originally Posted by robtuck
Having said that, our youngest has a pretty crap PE teacher.
As in physical education? If so that takes some effort on the teachers part.

Unless PE has changed to become something other than running around and play sports.

It's interesting reading how different places are handling school, British Columbia sent kids back to school, largely believed due to pressure form parents who cannot afford to hire child care, or able to work from home. 3 weeks in and there have been a few cases in schools but not huge amounts, so far so good.

Old Sep 30th 2020, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
.... how many people have a giggle about Teachers having short days, or having such great Holiday time? The reality is a stressful job with the added pressure of knowing the people you churn out are supposed to be well educated and adjusted! ....
Not me, for sure. My mother was a high school teacher (mostly English, some history, and occasional basic math in the entry grades (7&8) ), and a damn good one, often getting her students an O level when only a CSE had been expected. Anyway from a young age, when I was asked "what do you want to do when you grow up", my usual answer was "I don't know, but I don't want to be a teacher!" And that would still be my answer today, if I needed to make a total change of career, retraining as a teacher would not even be on the list of jobs to consider.

Oh, and for the years while I was at uni, my mother had the shortest holidays in the family - my father, younger sister, and me.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2020 at 9:19 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

May not be going too well for one California high school.

D's and F's have taken off compared to previous years.

While these grades are not final and only a progress report (final grades are in Jan and June of each school year) I can say from experience of having D's and F's in high school if your that low 1/2 way through the semester it's incredibly difficult to raise the grade by final grades in Jan.

Old Nov 11th 2020, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also have many family members in the Profession, teachers, Heads, Inspectors, Consultants, Professors.

Also know people over here and sounds no fun, to the point one at least is considering giving it up and another waiting for the pension to kick in.

Trying to remember where the falling grades was discussed, BBC Radio % Live I think.
Old Nov 11th 2020, 9:09 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
May not be going too well for one California high school.

D's and F's have taken off compared to previous years.

While these grades are not final and only a progress report (final grades are in Jan and June of each school year) I can say from experience of having D's and F's in high school if your that low 1/2 way through the semester it's incredibly difficult to raise the grade by final grades in Jan.
In the two districts that I have knowledge of, where I work, and where my kid goes, you have to make an effort to fail. Grading has been rejigged for the current environment. No D grades are given now. It is possible to get an NC, which means you didnt go to any Zoom meetings and didnt do any work. (not done enough to fail) A "P" is also possible, if you tried but didnt really get it, you pass, but it will not look good on a transcript if you want to go to college,

Online is clearly hurting many students but is also benefiting some. I have been surprised how the anonymity of Zoom has continued to help some struggling students.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 4:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter (5th grade, which is middle school in our district now) isn't enjoying virtual learning but it doesn't seem to be affecting her grades which is good.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guardian had an article on falling grades etc.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

strat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. Son has been doing the virtual thing since August start. He’s lucky I’m retired, so IT support and subject matter expertise a given. Like others mention above, he also has dedicated office and we are lucky to have pretty much flawless broadband 300/12. 6th grade, so transferred from elementary to middle. He’s doing really well. I think for some, in this case him, he benefits from being able to concentrate and ask if he doesn’t understand without holding up a class... his grades have shot up over 90 in all but one area where he’s cruising in the upper 80s. I used to dread the Thursday coming home after test results, but lately it’s 90% smiles and singing. Teachers have really done a great job. Even Saxophone class is going from strength to strength... just wish I could sit in and do it with him 😎
Old Nov 13th 2020, 6:42 pm
Account Closed

Some people are more suited to distance learning than others, same with work from home for adults, some excel and some struggle along with it.

Old Nov 13th 2020, 6:43 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Some people are more suited to distance learning than others, same with work from home for adults, some excel and some struggle along with it.
I can't work from home. I don't have the discipline for it.
Old Nov 13th 2020, 6:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I can't work from home. I don't have the discipline for it.
I never could, at least living in an apartment, it's too noisy, pets, car noise, spouse coming and going, neighbors upstairs walking around, everytime the flush the toilet can hear the water go down the pipes. Just wouldn't work out well, but luckily for me the kinds of jobs I tend to get can't be done from home....

Old Nov 13th 2020, 6:54 pm
I have a comma problem

I never could, at least living in an apartment, it's too noisy, pets, car noise, spouse coming and going, neighbors upstairs walking around, everytime the flush the toilet can hear the water go down the pipes. Just wouldn't work out well, but luckily for me the kinds of jobs I tend to get can't be done from home....
I have my own office and 99% of my interactions are with vendors via email or phone so I can camp out in here all day and be fine.

Too many distractions at home.
Old Nov 13th 2020, 7:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I have my own office and 99% of my interactions are with vendors via email or phone so I can camp out in here all day and be fine.

Too many distractions at home.

Even a hotel front desk overnight is less distracting than home....

Just thinking how many times a day the dog or cat want something is enough not to be as productive...
Old Nov 13th 2020, 9:24 pm
I have a comma problem

Even a hotel front desk overnight is less distracting than home....

Just thinking how many times a day the dog or cat want something is enough not to be as productive...
My cat would largely leave me alone but I'd just end up sleeping in or procrastinating, or gaming.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Middle school kid, isn't doing to bad, but the one issue is the school bandwidth is tanking.

Remote cohorts, the teachers are still doing them from school.

The kids in class are still logging into Google Class during their in school days so they can interact with the kids that are on remote days. The network is failing, so starting on Monday, kids who are remote won't be logging into their home room classes and will just have to read their class notes, but will have online classes for sciences and stuff that wouldn't be done in their home room. Kids in class won't be logging in online either, so no interaction with half the class. Until they do something about the network at least.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.