British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   how is online schooling going? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/how-online-schooling-going-934427/)

jjmb Aug 19th 2020 9:15 pm

how is online schooling going?

Our district has decided to do 7 weeks (was 3, initially) of online schooling and its been interesting to watch as an outsider. Most of the time, our grand-daughter, grade 3, has scheduled meetings with her teacher and class with a mix of zoom and google rooms. There is a lunch break at their normal school time - 11.10am to 11.40 Mon, Tues, Thurs and Friday. Today is freeform time where assignments are given that they do on their own while the teacher gets on with admin stuff. Most days she seems to be finished by 2.30 at the latest but today she had completed all her assignments by 1.30. Most days she and her Mum are OK but there have been a few bust ups with frustration about something. She does seem pretty focus when she is doing assignments which is an issue she has in real-time classroom. Only 1 week down, so will be interesting to see how it works out. Being an only child, she is desperate for company other than grumpy adults :rofl: After school, Nana is on Roblox duty!

markonline1 Aug 19th 2020 11:09 pm

Re: how is online schooling going?

My 11 year old is struggling to get motivated. She’s already falling behind. My 5 year old is fine for a bit but by the end of the hour, she’s done. Should be interesting when her classes are upped to 4 hours a day LOL. Feel sorry for them, it’s no way to learn. My eldest has transitioned from elementary to middle school, so doubly hard for her.

scrubbedexpat091 Aug 19th 2020 11:12 pm

Based on my sisters complaints, ha ha not very well.

mrken30 Aug 20th 2020 1:10 am

Bit of a struggle to get google classroom setup, the teacher didn't send us the code. We start next week, I have to find access to a color printer for Monday, so probably off to Staples this weekend.

civilservant Aug 20th 2020 10:55 am

All 3 of my counties schools are back to in person classes.... with the associated school buses clogging up the roads again.

mrken30 Aug 20th 2020 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12899372)
All 3 of my counties schools are back to in person classes.... with the associated school buses clogging up the roads again.

You must have a male Governor

Bob Aug 20th 2020 9:05 pm

We don't start for another month. Our district is currently going hybrid, so 2 days in school, 3 days remote. Two cohorts on opposite ends of the week and a third cohort for all in school, but that's limited to English not first language, the homeless kids and IEP. There was a option for full remote, but that was being outsourced.

civilservant Aug 20th 2020 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12899673)
You must have a male Governor

Brian Kemp. He's male, white, and useless.

Pulaski Aug 21st 2020 6:12 pm

All well with little Miss P - the setup at home is good, with broadband internet, and a private office with desk for her.

There are minor teething problems with the school's end, so the camera tracking doesn't seem to function in all classes. The only apparently insurmountable problem is the sound quality for music so while the teacher can see LMP, she can't hear her playing, as the sound is so distorted. We might have to look into getting a proper microphone and better set up. The school thinks it might be data restrictions leading to packet delay or loss, but I am not sure if that is the case.

The schools across NC have a variety of opening plans, some full in-person, some remote only with delayed in-person, and some hybrid.

scaly back Aug 21st 2020 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12899687)
Brian Kemp. He's male, white, and useless.

Serious question, what has his ethnicity got to do with his ability to do the job? Or is it a bandwagon you jumped on with the Duke of Sussex?

Pulaski Aug 22nd 2020 12:21 am

Originally Posted by scaly back (Post 12900288)
Serious question, what has his ethnicity got to do with his ability to do the job? ....

Ditto gender.

robin1234 Aug 22nd 2020 12:36 am

Originally Posted by scaly back (Post 12900288)
Serious question, what has his ethnicity got to do with his ability to do the job? Or is it a bandwagon you jumped on with the Duke of Sussex?

Er yes - Duke of Sussex & Brian Kemp are two of the people in the world who are of European ancestry. Not sure what conceivable link you are making between the two of them? Or what bandwagon you’re thinking of?

mrken30 Aug 22nd 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12900312)
Ditto gender.

It's a recent news topic, may or may not be relevant

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...n-study-2020-8

mrken30 Aug 22nd 2020 1:09 am

200 days estimated until schools go back to "in classroom" here. In the meantime schools in Scotland and Berlin have seen increases in cases.

scaly back Aug 22nd 2020 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12900314)
Er yes - Duke of Sussex & Brian Kemp are two of the people in the world who are of European ancestry. Not sure what conceivable link you are making between the two of them? Or what bandwagon you’re thinking of?

Sorry, I may have been unclear, there is absolutely no link between the two. My first question was about the perceived impact of ethnicity to ability, the other was meant to be a lighthearted reference to a woke perceived wisdom, to which the Duke is reported to subscribe to. Unless you misread for deflection? In which case Er no.....