Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How old were your kids when you moved, and how did they handle it?

How old were your kids when you moved, and how did they handle it?

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic_chap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How old were your kids when you moved, and how did they handle it?

I'm interested to hear from people with kids who have moved to the US -- what were the pros and cons, and how did the kids adjust?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How old were your kids when you moved, and how did they handle it?

Might want to have a search back as there's been a similar thread a few weeks back and a couple decent ones over the summer.

Lot of it depended on kids ages and where they moved in the UK/US as it's going to be really different moving from a village school to down town school in a big city and then add the difference in the country...
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Aha - I had a look and couldn't find it. Will look again.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

My two were 7 and 6. That was 18 months ago. They also had 16 weeks out of school, as we moved mid May and couldn't get them registered for school quick enough before the summer vacation started.
They found starting school hard, but settled well and made friends relatively quickly. We went from a village school of 135 children total, to an elementary of almost 500! Quite a shock to the system.
The biggest thing was knowing what the American kids were into - no Moshi Monsters here! The first summer was long and I am sooooo lucky they get on really well.
We moved again this summer (only 7 miles), but a new school again. This time they fitted straight in and made friends much easier.
My daughter (now 8) is sounding more American everyday. Girls seems to change easier to fit in, although I have heard the odd 'zee' and 'aloominium' from my 9 year old son as well.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My son was 6 & my daughter was 4. They both took it in their stride and loved their new environment. My son had a little 'blip' in school and was moved from 1st grade to Kindergarten but it was the right thing to do. They are now 8 and 10 and are thriving here. They both love it and have no desire to move back to the UK. Just as well really as neither their dad or I want to move back either.
My son is keeping his English accent but I think he likes that people comment on it. His sister sounds more American than British now. They both have become involved in school activities and love travelling around with us during school breaks to see other parts of the country.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was 9 and found it fine. She seems to like the superficial fashion stuff and cliques, which helps.

My son was 12 and found it much harder. Grade 7, halfway through middle school, and he hated the la-la land stuff and the dry landscape. Also hated being different, being called 'Johnny English' etc.

Age has a bearing, also their individual personalities.

This was 8 years ago, my son has settled into university now, my daughter is in the last year of high school. We are now contemplating a return to the UK. Son will stay here, and daughter seems happy to go back.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Dec 3rd 2013 at 11:29 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

These are all very interesting -- thanks! Can anyone dig up the link to the earlier thread on this topic? I can't seem to find it.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Mine were 2 and 3 (now 9 and 10) and don't have much recollection of living in England. Put them with a group of American kids and you'd have trouble guessing who the British ones were ... although their pasty skin might give them away.

They really had no trouble settling here, love school, love the American way of life but also love going back to England to visit. I hadn't realised how American they had become until this year, they stuck out like sore thumbs in England with their accents and sports gear!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
My daughter was 9 and found it fine. She seems to like the superficial fashion stuff and cliques, which helps.

My son was 12 and found it much harder. Grade 7, halfway through middle school, and he hated the la-la land stuff and the dry landscape. Also hated being different, being called 'Johnny English' etc.

Age has a bearing, also their individual personalities.

This was 8 years ago, my son has settled into university now, my daughter is in the last year of high school. We are now contemplating a return to the UK. Son will stay here, and daughter seems happy to go back.
Grade 7 is a bitch in any case. I think it is a miracle that any kid survives Grade 7. [In my day, I attended "Junior High" which was 7-8-9 while "High School" was 10-11-12. I think that "Middle School" is an improvement. Older daughter was caught in the transition and did only 7-8 for her Middle School.]
Old Dec 4th 2013, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Grade 7 is a bitch in any case. I think it is a miracle that any kid survives Grade 7. [In my day, I attended "Junior High" which was 7-8-9 while "High School" was 10-11-12. I think that "Middle School" is an improvement. Older daughter was caught in the transition and did only 7-8 for her Middle School.]
Yes it is
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were 6, 4 and 2.

It was hardest for the 6yo - ignorant Americans making fun of her accent and the fact that she didn't know she was supposed to support the Red Sox. Having said that, she had a few wobbles in her first year then was fine.

The other two... I'm not sure they even noticed they were in a new country. Except that my 2yo hated snow during his first winter.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 3:02 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest totally crapped himself, cried quite a bit, there was lots of fighting with new "friends", that sort of thing. He was only 16 months at the time though.....

He's now having fun in the aforementioned 7th grade......and still getting Mickey taken about his English accent
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
My eldest totally crapped himself, cried quite a bit, there was lots of fighting with new "friends", that sort of thing. He was only 16 months at the time though.....

He's now having fun in the aforementioned 7th grade......and still getting Mickey taken about his English accent
Old Dec 5th 2013, 5:58 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice

Mine were 5 and 7. 5 year old found it easy. 7 year old found it v hard- American kids are into totally different things and he found it hard to fit in. People laughed at his accent. 3 months later and he is sporting an American accent, has discovered the great leveler that is Pokemon cards, and all is well
Old Dec 5th 2013, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
Mine were 5 and 7. 5 year old found it easy. 7 year old found it v hard- American kids are into totally different things and he found it hard to fit in. People laughed at his accent. 3 months later and he is sporting an American accent, has discovered the great leveler that is Pokemon cards, and all is well
It's interesting that young American kids kid them about their accent since when they are in their teens, American guys go gaga over an English girls accent and American girls go gaga over an English guys accent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.