Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How often do you call your parents in the UK?

How often do you call your parents in the UK?

Old Apr 27th 2011, 3:21 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often do you call your parents in the UK?

Both my parents are gone but I call my eldest sister every morning and sometimes at lunch time too! But then I still really miss the UK even though I've been here 10 years it's still not home!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

nsdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nicensdale is just really nice

I speak to my parents maybe once or twice a week mainly via skype (we got an online number and they have free calls to the US) Hopefully going over in Summer for a month to allow them to see their granddaughter.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I call my mum every couple of weeks, that is more than enough for me since we aren't that close. SHe is threatening to come to stay for 6 weeks when I have my baby later this year though - wonder if I can get her added to a no-fly list!? I keep up with family events and message family back and forth via facebook.

My husband speaks to his parents every day - some families are just closer than others.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:29 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I never phone my parents anymore. They call us occasionally and I answer the phone only when I feel like talking to them.

They came to stay with us 2 years ago for 4 weeks! (that's the longest we had spent together since well before I left home) I nearly killed my mother in the 3rd week! They had to go travelling for a few days to let things calm down a bit.

They call to ask if I sent a mothers day card or birthday card. I say no and they don't understand why not.

We have a very dysfunctional family and my parents just really annoy me. They were foul when they stayed with us.

We are going to England in August for 3 weeks and I've told my parents I will meet up with them for 1 afternoon. I may be able to just manage that!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually call or webcam once a week or two.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Do Skype about once a month so my mother can see the kids, which normally culminates in my mother talking over the kids, them getting bored and buggering off. Much like my phone calls with her.
I do the same with my parents once per week, but the same results with my kids. A good 90% of what my kids say to my parents, and vice versa, is either not understood or ignored. With my dad going more racist by the day and completely misunderstanding everything he sees in the news, there will often be some rather odd conversations going on. I never speak to my siblings unless they happen to be there at the same time, although my sister will email me every now and then (she is the only one who has come out to visit me, and her second time will be next month)

I called them less often when I lived 100 miles from them.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Never. They call me twice a week. 12:45pm on Wednesday and around noon on Sunday
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

An elderly friend of my mother's - an English lady originally from south east London - will be 79 years old on 21 May and she has health issues, and in addition has to walk with the aid of a frame, and she also has an electric wheel chair. She has never travelled outside of the UK in her life before and only recently acquired her first UK passport after a lengthy interview with a UK Home Office official.

She lives in a sheltered accommodation one bedroom flat, spends practically the whole of her time sitting in front of her TV, has a cleaning lady visit her twice a week and in between allows the flat get into a mess, and has all her meals delivered daily by a kind of "meals on wheels" set up. She has a wee dog which other people take out on its daily walks (but she does take care of the dog well) and has a 34 years old son who is in the RAF, based in Norfolk, England, but currently based in southern Italy as he is part of the UK team engaged in the air operations over in Libya.

She has a London born sister - over three years older than her, who lives in northern California - now a UK citizen and has lived in the uSA for almost 40 years. She and her sister speak on the phone every single day, all of the calls originating at the American end.

On 16 May the sister here in Edinburgh will fly from Heathrow to San Francisco, where she will be met by her sister there, accompanied by a male friend of hers, who will drive them the long distance to her home in the very small town in northern CA, and all arrangements have been made regarding the UK sister's mobility problems, and she will have taken with her all the medications she will need for the full six weeks she will be in America.

Another friend of hers will take care of her dog while she is away....she returns to Heathrow on 27 June.

Apparently her sister has made arrangements for her to be taken to all kinds of places of interest, including Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and even the Grand Canyon; also to meet all her American friends and to eat as much of traditional American foods as possible. How fantastic is that!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Peter525839 will become famous soon enoughPeter525839 will become famous soon enough

I have called my mother once each weekend for at least 1 hour for nearly 30 years
18 months ago I bought her a laptop and at 88 yrs young w/o ever having touched a computer before she got the hang of it
She is 90 next month We email at leasttwice a week, still call and every couple of weeks we skype Problem is she cant hear over skype / computer so we still jhave the phone going at the same time
Skype is very easy but sometimes connection can be so so
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:19 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Usually 5 or 6 times a week.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:21 pm
Happy with my lot For now

anne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to allanne55 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
An elderly friend of my mother's - an English lady originally from south east London - will be 79 years old on 21 May and she has health issues, and in addition has to walk with the aid of a frame, and she also has an electric wheel chair. She has never travelled outside of the UK in her life before and only recently acquired her first UK passport after a lengthy interview with a UK Home Office official.

She lives in a sheltered accommodation one bedroom flat, spends practically the whole of her time sitting in front of her TV, has a cleaning lady visit her twice a week and in between allows the flat get into a mess, and has all her meals delivered daily by a kind of "meals on wheels" set up. She has a wee dog which other people take out on its daily walks (but she does take care of the dog well) and has a 34 years old son who is in the RAF, based in Norfolk, England, but currently based in southern Italy as he is part of the UK team engaged in the air operations over in Libya.

She has a London born sister - over three years older than her, who lives in northern California - now a UK citizen and has lived in the uSA for almost 40 years. She and her sister speak on the phone every single day, all of the calls originating at the American end.

On 16 May the sister here in Edinburgh will fly from Heathrow to San Francisco, where she will be met by her sister there, accompanied by a male friend of hers, who will drive them the long distance to her home in the very small town in northern CA, and all arrangements have been made regarding the UK sister's mobility problems, and she will have taken with her all the medications she will need for the full six weeks she will be in America.

Another friend of hers will take care of her dog while she is away....she returns to Heathrow on 27 June.

Apparently her sister has made arrangements for her to be taken to all kinds of places of interest, including Las Vegas, Lake Tahoe and even the Grand Canyon; also to meet all her American friends and to eat as much of traditional American foods as possible. How fantastic is that!

Brave Lady. I am impressed
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne55
Brave Lady. I am impressed
+1
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:02 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
I never phone my parents anymore. They call us occasionally and I answer the phone only when I feel like talking to them.

They came to stay with us 2 years ago for 4 weeks! (that's the longest we had spent together since well before I left home) I nearly killed my mother in the 3rd week! They had to go travelling for a few days to let things calm down a bit.

They call to ask if I sent a mothers day card or birthday card. I say no and they don't understand why not.

We have a very dysfunctional family and my parents just really annoy me. They were foul when they stayed with us.

We are going to England in August for 3 weeks and I've told my parents I will meet up with them for 1 afternoon. I may be able to just manage that!
Even though my husband speaks to his partents once a week I very rarely talk to them. When we were in Scotland we stayed two days with them and the rest in a hotel. The only dinners they would go out for were the 2 for 10 quid dinners or they wouldn't go., Meanwhile they are sailing over this summer to NYC on the Queen Mary 2 and are staying in NYC for 6 days then sailing back. They are staying in a hotel the whole time. I don't have room and even if I did I would still want them to stay in a hotel. My mother in law can be very pretentious and I am sick of them always talking about the price of things. I told my husband if they piss me off I'm walking away and he can deal with them. When my mother inlaw was here. for our wedding all she did was complain! I can hear it starting already! This is the only way I can deal with them
Old Apr 29th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

You guys make me seem very bad. Haven't spoken to my mother for about 4 years now. Haven't spoken to my father in almost 20 years. Oh well.