Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How long until the apocalypse?

View Poll Results: How long until the apocalypse?
Less than 10 days.
0%
Before the next Presidential Election.
44.44%
On or slightly after November 3rd, 2020.
7.41%
It will shortly be illegal to criticize Trump, so never.
48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

How long until the apocalypse?

Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long until the apocalypse?

Originally Posted by Steve_
I always like watching CNBC because it hones my skills at detecting liars.

Like, some guy the other day saying "when Dodd-Frank is repealed the markets will soar", Dodd-Frank isn't going to be repealed, it will never get through the Senate. Obvious liar, because he obviously knows this.

Or, the tax reform bill will send the markets soaring. Well, for there to even be a major tax reform bill, there has to be massive cuts to Medicaid and I'm not convinced that will get through Congress either. There might be a tax holiday for repatriation of profits, so high dividend yield ETFs make sense.

At some point these people will stop reading the WSJ and realize that Trump is a moron, my bet is somewhere around Labour Day.

Even if they get the healthcare bill through, they're constrained by budget reconciliation and they can't do tax reform until next year anyway, and that's an election year and the squeamish Republicans in the Senate will be even more squeamish as the Republicans have heavy exposure in 2018.

So my view is that people going out buying equities based on Trump & Co. makes as much sense as buying Sterling did prior to the Brexit referendum.
. I hear from a few involved in equity markets, all believe Trump will get Congress to reduce some of the more onerous Dodd-Frank requirements.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:43 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

They might be able to dick around with some of the regulations but the idea that it's going to be repealed is laughable. McCain is trying to revive the Glass-Steagal Act ffs.

Who was that guy on the TV today, Mnuchin, the Treasury Secretary? Definitely going to pass healthcare reform and tax reform by year's end and the US will have 3% growth by 2019.

Didn't he used to work for Goldman Sachs?

I'm far from certain there will be a healthcare reform Bill, there's got to be something to stabilize the healthcare exchanges but what they've proposed keeps getting dialled back. And tax reform this year. Mmm.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

How much tax payers money was used to prop up Goldman Sachs?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 11:59 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

All of it?
Old Jun 30th 2017, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

They might be able to dick around with some of the regulations but the idea that it's going to be repealed is laughable. McCain is trying to revive the Glass-Steagal Act ffs.

Who was that guy on the TV today, Mnuchin, the Treasury Secretary? Definitely going to pass healthcare reform and tax reform by year's end and the US will have 3% growth by 2019.

I'm far from certain there will be a healthcare reform Bill, there's got to be something to stabilize the healthcare exchanges but what they've proposed keeps getting dialled back. And tax reform this year. Mmm.
Judging from press reports, seems the mishandling of health care reform by the Republicans may be the death of the Republican party in terms of having a majority in Congress for many years. Maybe the strategy is to delay the full impact until after the midterm elections.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Judging from press reports, seems the mishandling of health care reform by the Republicans may be the death of the Republican party in terms of having a majority in Congress for many years. Maybe the strategy is to delay the full impact until after the midterm elections.
It seems the Republicans in Congress have some sort of death wish when they get a majority. If they don't deliver on their promises "Nancy P" will be in charge and then nothing will get done other than endless investigations in multiple efforts to impeach Trump.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
It seems the Republicans in Congress have some sort of death wish when they get a majority. If they don't deliver on their promises "Nancy P" will be in charge and then nothing will get done other than endless investigations in multiple efforts to impeach Trump.
Maybe the Republicans should have thought about that before "endless investigations" into Benghazi... which, strangely, seem to have disappeared since the election. I wonder why?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 3rd 2017 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Should Californians decide to secede, the Red counties will definitely pull a West Virginia and secede from California and form the great state of Jefferson. I still think if California were to go the secession route, it would be a matter of negotiation, much like Brexit, not a civil war.
There was an article about this in today's NY Times. What I didn't know was that that "great state of Jefferson" is not named after Thomas Jefferson, but after Jefferson Davis. That probably tells you all you need to know about the motivations of those who want this state.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:43 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I've been enjoying watching the press and Democrats lose their minds over the "uncouth peasant" in the White House. Without a hint of self-awareness or irony, those who formerly referred to Republicans the dastardly "obstructionist Party of No" now refer to Democrats as the heroic "Resistance". Hilariously (offensively?), many directly compare Trump to Hitler over a couple of somewhat rude tweets. Progressives seem more desperate to signal that they are the anti-Trump than to actually propose anything constructive. Few seem to realize that Trump hasn't actually done anything yet. Few seem to understand that by being so desperate to paint themselves as virtuous anti-Trumpers, they're playing the exact role that Trump has assigned to them. Few seem to remember that Trump's illustrious predecessor unleashed clouds of drones and didn't do anything about Crimea or Gitmo. I guess Obama "said the right things" regardless of his actions. Some perspective seems necessary.

It's all noise to me. Entertaining noise, but noise nonetheless. California succeeding? Relax, people. Serious challenges like North Korea are on the horizon. Then we might see the true colors of this administration.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
California succeeding?
I believe it is succeeding, yes. California has a very strong economy.

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I do not believe they are seceding though.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I do not believe they are seceding though.
I agree... but that's not what he wrote!

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2017, 8:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I knew someone would pick up on that one after I couldn't be arsed doing so myself ...

Never change
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I knew someone would pick up on that one after I couldn't be arsed doing so myself ...

Never change
I thought you would be on the beach eating monster munch.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Never change
I've been thinking of adopting a new motto: Ever vigilant!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.