Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How long until the apocalypse?

View Poll Results: How long until the apocalypse?
Less than 10 days.
0%
Before the next Presidential Election.
44.44%
On or slightly after November 3rd, 2020.
7.41%
It will shortly be illegal to criticize Trump, so never.
48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

How long until the apocalypse?

Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long until the apocalypse?

Originally Posted by dc koop
We also provide considerable revenue to States like West Virginia whose government seem to be completely unable to diversify their economy beyond coal mining.

Same goes for Oregon. Lumber, lumber and more lumber. How would their economy fare if the present California building boom suddenly went the way it did in 2008?
As California goes so does Oregon.

The fact that Oregon gas stations still have employees to pump gas indicates that the State has a long way to go in diversifying and creating meaningful jobs for it's workforce
I forget reason why, but I thought there was another reason Oregon required someone be on hand to pump gas than to provide jobs. Maybe someone knows ?
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's pretty obvious that secession will never be in the cards. Who wants to go to all the trouble of having checkpoints, passport control, tariff and trade agreements to negotiate, A gigantic headache that would make no sense. California is intertwined with the rest of the union. Many wrote off the United Sates as a failure during the civil war. The Vietnam war tore the country apart. It will take more than a tweet addict with fake hair dyed platinum blond and the bullshit of a used car salesman to bring this country to the point of a break up
Kind of like Brexit yet millions voted for it. Judging from many comments on BE threads , seems there are people in California who would be quite happy to not be in same nation as some other states. And vice versa.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We also provide considerable revenue to States like West Virginia whose government seem to be completely unable to diversify their economy beyond coal mining.

Same goes for Oregon. Lumber, lumber and more lumber. How would their economy fare if the present California building boom suddenly went the way it did in 2008?

The fact that Oregon gas stations still have employees to pump gas indicates that the State has a long way to go in diversifying and creating meaningful jobs for it's workforce
Good point, Has there been any articles showing how much California receives/pays in terms of federal funds ?
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:06 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I forget reason why, but I thought there was another reason Oregon required someone be on hand to pump gas than to provide jobs. Maybe someone knows ?
it's a "make work" thing. Even a trained monkey would know how operate a modern gas pump.

The lack of diversity in Oregon's industrial base is probably because that State has a very aggressive environmental protection movement at work.

The "spotted owl" issue almost brought the State's logging industry to a near halt a few years ago

Last edited by dc koop; Jun 20th 2017 at 12:49 am.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 12:14 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of like Brexit yet millions voted for it. Judging from many comments on BE threads , seems there are people in California who would be quite happy to not be in same nation as some other states. And vice versa.
The Republicans are generally the ones with the whacko ideas in this State. There's the "State of Jefferson" idea that's been floating around for some time, Another Republican more recently tried to get a proposition on the ballot to split the State into six new States. His reason? The State's population had become too large to be governed effectively from Sacramento alone

Fortunately the GOP have very limited political power in this State
Old Jun 20th 2017, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond reputeFlaviusAetius has a reputation beyond repute

There's the "State of Jefferson" idea that's been floating around for some time...

Should Californians decide to secede, the Red counties will definitely pull a West Virginia and secede from California and form the great state of Jefferson. I still think if California were to go the secession route, it would be a matter of negotiation, much like Brexit, not a civil war.

If Calexit succeeds, California would then become a true laboratory to prove whether or not "progressive" politics can create a sustainable economic model and improve the quality of life of its citizens. However, I think most of the Silicon Valley enterprises would leave within 2 or 3 years and prove just how fragile Cali's economy really is.

As for the GOP voters, I foresee that they would be leaving Cali en masse, and moving into the US, so Cali would soon become an authoritarian one-party state with all the advantages of a system that has no credible opposition party.

[Fortunately? Guess again.] The Left in California is already trying to shut down free speech with its masked, black-shirted Antifa thugs. Imagine them becoming incorporated into California's new internal security apparatus. It would be East Germany all over again.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius
Should Californians decide to secede, the Red counties will definitely pull a West Virginia and secede from California and form the great state of Jefferson. I still think if California were to go the secession route, it would be a matter of negotiation, much like Brexit, not a civil war.

If Calexit succeeds, California would then become a true laboratory to prove whether or not "progressive" politics can create a sustainable economic model and improve the quality of life of its citizens. However, I think most of the Silicon Valley enterprises would leave within 2 or 3 years and prove just how fragile Cali's economy really is.

As for the GOP voters, I foresee that they would be leaving Cali en masse, and moving into the US, so Cali would soon become an authoritarian one-party state with all the advantages of a system that has no credible opposition party.

[Fortunately? Guess again.] The Left in California is already trying to shut down free speech with its masked, black-shirted Antifa thugs. Imagine them becoming incorporated into California's new internal security apparatus. It would be East Germany all over again.
2/10 for being mildly amusing trolling...
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Republicans are generally the ones with the whacko ideas in this State. There's the "State of Jefferson" idea that's been floating around for some time, Another Republican more recently tried to get a proposition on the ballot to split the State into six new States. His reason? The State's population had become too large to be governed effectively from Sacramento alone

Just out of curiosity, is Sacramento governing the state effectively ?

I remember back in the 80's there was a discussion of splitting the state into three - north, south and central.
Old Jun 20th 2017, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FlaviusAetius

I agree in that scenario free speech would probably become curtailed in practice. On the other hand I cant imagine enterprises in Silicon Valley leaving, Silicon Valley has shown itself quote able to retain its dominance and grow. Silicon Valley, tourism, film industry, agriculture- California surely could prosper as an independent or semi-independent state.
Old Jun 21st 2017, 10:16 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my you have a very outdated view of Oregon. Timber is nearly dead, the two largest employers in the state are Nike and Intel. Don't take my word for it use Google.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:27 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Four special elections, four Republican wins. Healthcare bill could be voted on in the next few days in the Senate with zero amendments and zero hearings.

The apocalypse approaches...
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:30 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think if Puerto Rico were to be added as a state, the compromise would be to add Guam at the same time, so both parties would gain.
Huh? I must have missed Guam becoming a Republican stronghold and even if it were, Puerto Rico would have more representatives. I never understand this argument about Puerto Rico being full of Democrats either, neither the Democrats or the Republicans do well there, they have their own political parties.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by lansbury
Looking at how much my two investment accounts with J P Morgan Chase have increased in value since Trump was elected, he can keep on doing whatever it is he is doing.
I always like watching CNBC because it hones my skills at detecting liars.

Like, some guy the other day saying "when Dodd-Frank is repealed the markets will soar", Dodd-Frank isn't going to be repealed, it will never get through the Senate. Obvious liar, because he obviously knows this.

Or, the tax reform bill will send the markets soaring. Well, for there to even be a major tax reform bill, there has to be massive cuts to Medicaid and I'm not convinced that will get through Congress either. There might be a tax holiday for repatriation of profits, so high dividend yield ETFs make sense.

At some point these people will stop reading the WSJ and realize that Trump is a moron, my bet is somewhere around Labour Day.

Even if they get the healthcare bill through, they're constrained by budget reconciliation and they can't do tax reform until next year anyway, and that's an election year and the squeamish Republicans in the Senate will be even more squeamish as the Republicans have heavy exposure in 2018.

So my view is that people going out buying equities based on Trump & Co. makes as much sense as buying Sterling did prior to the Brexit referendum.
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Oh my you have a very outdated view of Oregon. Timber is nearly dead, the two largest employers in the state are Nike and Intel. Don't take my word for it use Google.
Neither of which are based in Portland.

Oregonians are not trusted to pump their own gas. It was deemed too dangerous. Now it's just an excuse to have people sitting with their cars idling to pollute the air. Having 15 to 20 cars at a gas station sitting with engines running for 20 minutes creates Oregon's share of carbon emissions.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 12:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Majority of strategists see big gains for the second half: CNBC survey

60% of Wall Street strategists think that there will be a healthcare bill and a tax reform bill passed by the end of the year.

OMG the bullshit these people are spreading to try and stop a market correction. "Aaaaa, everyone is going to cash out how do we stop them!!!"

First off, a tax reform bill is impossible until next year's budget reconciliation and if the Medicaid cuts don't happen, which seems increasingly unlikely, the tax reform bill will be very tepid. And the markets know this and they've started to slide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.