Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Isolated is everyone right now?

How Isolated is everyone right now?

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Isolated is everyone right now?

Staying inside our apartment, living in a building with hundreds of others just going out is a risk, being stuck in elevator just to get to ground level and back up, and the building isn't upping their cleaning, in-fact the cleaner hasn't even been around.

We also were told last week we had a confirmed case in the building, and today an email was sent saying 3 units are in self isolation after arriving from a high risk country.

So I am trying to not leave the apartment.

I have no friends or family besides my wife who lives with me, but not being able to go to my usual stores and go to the fish store and watch the fish and talk to people there, is starting to bother me, cabin fever has set in, and being stuck in a small apartment 24/7 with another person is well not exactly fun either.

People are not listening and not fully understanding that the health officer when she says not to do something or that certain places need to close are not requests they verbal orders, she has the power in a public health emergency to make such orders.

Because people are not listening, this coming week I expect a crack down and the government will stop playing nice.

They have had to close regional trails and parks because so many people were flocking to them.

Social distancing means staying away from people you do no reside with.

Social distancing does not mean getting coffee with friends.
Social distancing does not mean its okay to make play dates for your kids.
Social distancing does not mean its okay to have family gatherings with family who do not live with you.

Considering people refused to cancel weddings, and considering the size of some of the weddings, wont be surprised in 2 weeks of they start reporting confirmed cases linked to these weddings.

Yes it sucks your wedding has to be cancelled, but having a party with hundreds of others is not social distancing.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 22nd 2020 at 7:12 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Shelter in place here, not lockdown. Both the wife and I are in “essential business” so we are both at work. Managed to get out on the golf course today, they did a great job with the measures they’ve
put in place to ensure the safety of anyone playing. The kids are starting to go a little stir crazy, but other than that, things aren’t too bad here....... yet.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Colorado is not under complete lock-down, yet. I would not be surprised if we are on lock-down this week or beginning of April as more precaution. Restaurants and bars have been closed for dine-in for a while - take-out and delivery only. Grog shops and Dispensaries are open for reg biz ("essential business"). The ski resorts were closed about 10 days ago - the mountains are hardest hit with cases w/in Colorado as its the skiing which brings in the out of staters and encourages front range travel up to the slopes. CO is taking precautionary steps. To date - 475 cases and 6 deaths.

I basically am practicing personal isolation. I work from home anyway so used to the routine (although RE is not really moving at the mo!). If I were to leave its only to top up on any grocery needs every few days or take the the dog out for a walk - basically minimizing any interactions ... and keeping my distance if people happen to cross paths! People are being very mindful about social distancing and much socializing is being done virtually. I can't help but wonder if 'we' already have been exposed to it for a while, contracted it and never ever knew it because it was fought off before it presented symptoms or symptoms were ever so mild it was dismissed as being corona. Who knows.
The bulk of Mexico's cases has been traced to wealthy Mexicans who returned from skiing at Vail Colorado.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 22nd 2020 at 11:26 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Well, things are pretty grim here in NYC. I have been working from home for the past two weeks and my last time on the subway was a week ago. I have been out and about for groceries and walking/running, but pretty keen on keeping my physical distance. Restaurants/bars/gyms have been closed all week, and now all non-essential businesses are due to close in 6 minutes. Take-out is still allowed from restaurants and bars (yes, drinks to go!), but most in my neighborhood seem to have closed down anyway. (Which has led to some pondering of how many New Yorkers actually know how to feed themselves??)

Yesterday, I went out for a walk in the glorious Spring sunshine with some other regulars from my local. The Japanese person in our midst even brought his tape measure! It was bizarre, but lovely, to spend time outside with people I normally drink with in the dark.

Am I the only expat who feels like this life has prepared me for many aspects of isolation? (I moved for work on my own.) Obviously, I am already totally pro about keeping in touch with my family remotely, so that is completely business as usual. I am seeing other people struggling with these kinds of changes though.

The main downside to all of this for me is that, as a chronic workaholic, I have lost my usual boundaries that get me out of the office! I am trying to enforce some semblance of work hours, but tbh, it is kind of convenient to keep working into the evening because then I don't need to worry about what to do after work...

My latest hobby is to find ways to redirect my usual entertainment budget to friends and local business that are being hit by all this. "Oh, service by Friend X would help Friend Y make it through the lockdown? My gift to both of you...". I know I am finding it entertaining
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 5:30 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As with everyone else, here in Phoenix gyms, schools, movie theaters, concert and sports venues, restaurants and bars are closed (take-out only). I started working from home last week, which is totally new for me. Supposedly doing so through the upcoming week, but my guess is it will be longer. Not supposed to go to any non-essential appointments so I'll be canceling my hair appointment this week (not even sure they are going to be open, I need to check tomorrow).

One of my hobbies is figure skating, but all the rinks are completely closed until further notice, so that's out. My other hobby is learning to play guitar. My teacher has canceled in-person lessons but we are trying to use Skype or Zoom which I don't care for. But at least I can practice that alone at home.

I started redecorating my house this year so I am keeping busy inside with all of that (almost finished though). I'm going for a walk almost every day. All in all, I'm not unhappy with having to do the social distancing thing.

I'm saving money on gas and eating out, that's a plus.

Rene
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 6:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am finding my mental health is declining fast, none of the usual methods are doable and I am not sure. Youtube and the internet only go so far to stay occupied.

Time will tell, if it goes too long, not sure I will mentally be able to function long term like this.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

So far in my rural TN county (Moore) no cases yet or in adjoining counties. It’s just a matter of time. Our only risk is going shopping for food. All restaurants are closed except take out and drive thru. I would be a lot more concerned if I was in a densely packed urban environment. Except for not being able to go out for lunch everyday life is about same. If things get really, really bad we have a back up food supply.
Just kidding we like our deer. On three occasions we have had a deer take bread from our hand.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
So far in my rural TN county (Moore) no cases yet or in adjoining counties. It’s just a matter of time. Our only risk is going shopping for food. All restaurants are closed except take out and drive thru. I would be a lot more concerned if I was in a densely packed urban environment. Except for not being able to go out for lunch everyday life is about same. If things get really, really bad we have a back up food supply.
Just kidding we like our deer. On three occasions we have had a deer take bread from our hand.
our back garden in NJ looked like that. Beautiful as the deer are the only thing I see is ticks.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 1:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I am finding my mental health is declining fast, none of the usual methods are doable and I am not sure. Youtube and the internet only go so far to stay occupied.

Time will tell, if it goes too long, not sure I will mentally be able to function long term like this.

All your BE friends are here for you -- hope you'll check in and talk to us regularly. This too shall pass!
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
our back garden in NJ looked like that. Beautiful as the deer are the only thing I see is ticks.
When I first bought the land it was a jungle and I cleaned it off largely by hand with chainsaw and burning. During that time I had many tick bites but since cleaned no problem. There are so many deer around our neighborhood deer ticks and Lyme disease is certainly a concern. We feed the one herd everyday. They are standing by back porch when we get up. We buy corn but they will eat anything including left over chicken. Especially fond of bread and we buy a lot of that for them also.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
When I first bought the land it was a jungle and I cleaned it off largely by hand with chainsaw and burning. During that time I had many tick bites but since cleaned no problem. There are so many deer around our neighborhood deer ticks and Lyme disease is certainly a concern. We feed the one herd everyday. They are standing by back porch when we get up. We buy corn but they will eat anything including left over chicken. Especially fond of bread and we buy a lot of that for them also.
we lived in the house for almost 20 years and I don’t think I ever stepped on the grass. Beautiful to watch...especially the stage and newly born fawns.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
All your BE friends are here for you -- hope you'll check in and talk to us regularly. This too shall pass!
Absolutely! We are all alongside you

Jsmth321 There are some great virtual tours of museums/zoos/etc. online, perhaps they can provide a bit of distraction? Also, there's BE's own Interesting Live Streaming Web Cams Around The World. Or even exploring neighborhoods in cities you'd like to visit via Google street view.

I don't know if you have ever done any breathing exercises, but now might be a good time to give them a try. When we get stressed out, we normally don't breathe deeply enough; taking a break to oxygenate the brain can be surprisingly relaxing.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Austin - Texas: I've been staying at home for the last week. Been out 2x to get groceries. The Governor yesterday declined to order shelter in place for the whole state but we all expect the Mayor to declare it in the next few days. Restaurants/bars open only for deliveries/take out. No gatherings of more than 10. However, a post on my EuroCircle FB group last night from one of the members who is an ICU nurse was pretty scary - there is the assumption that in Texas we aren't really affected yet but she's talking about the speed at which the hospital beds are filling up and begged us all to stay home.
IB exams have been cancelled so littlest PF won't be doing her diploma exams.
Personally, I am used to being on my own a lot so doing ok so far on that front. Been facetiming my mates that I haven't spoken to for a while, clearing up the garden. If I get truly bored, I'll have a go at the garage...
stay well everyone.
Bon courage!
PF

Old Mar 23rd 2020, 3:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hattiesburg, MS

We have a confirmed 80 cases in the city. Two are in ICU. Yes, count is low but this is a city of college/university students who for the most part were all at home or away for spring break and senior citizens. The few times I've out, like yesterday to go to Petsmart for cat food (44 lbs ... enough for 4 months) every store is closed by mandate of the Mayor as are all bars/restaurants/fast food places with the exception of drive thrus and take outs. Schools are closed until mid April but that will probably change if need arises. The town is a ghost town.
Old Mar 23rd 2020, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Staying inside our apartment, living in a building with hundreds of others just going out is a risk, being stuck in elevator just to get to ground level and back up, and the building isn't upping their cleaning, in-fact the cleaner hasn't even been around.

We also were told last week we had a confirmed case in the building, and today an email was sent saying 3 units are in self isolation after arriving from a high risk country.

So I am trying to not leave the apartment.

I have no friends or family besides my wife who lives with me, but not being able to go to my usual stores and go to the fish store and watch the fish and talk to people there, is starting to bother me, cabin fever has set in, and being stuck in a small apartment 24/7 with another person is well not exactly fun either.

People are not listening and not fully understanding that the health officer when she says not to do something or that certain places need to close are not requests they verbal orders, she has the power in a public health emergency to make such orders.

Because people are not listening, this coming week I expect a crack down and the government will stop playing nice.

They have had to close regional trails and parks because so many people were flocking to them.

Social distancing means staying away from people you do no reside with.

Social distancing does not mean getting coffee with friends.
Social distancing does not mean its okay to make play dates for your kids.
Social distancing does not mean its okay to have family gatherings with family who do not live with you.

Considering people refused to cancel weddings, and considering the size of some of the weddings, wont be surprised in 2 weeks of they start reporting confirmed cases linked to these weddings.

Yes it sucks your wedding has to be cancelled, but having a party with hundreds of others is not social distancing.
J
I wouldn’t want to ride the elevator either. If you have stairs I would use them and go for some walks. Just avoid getting too close to people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.