Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How Isolated is everyone right now?

How Isolated is everyone right now?

Old Mar 28th 2020, 8:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Isolated is everyone right now?

I have been working from home for a week.Since last Friday I have been within 6 feet of the cashier at the liqour store twice, the cashier at walgreens and an accidental customer in walgreens. BAU!
Old Mar 28th 2020, 9:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc

I've only ventured outside to get groceries/essentials (I'm prepping to go out later as I need milk, bread and... cleanser).
Good luck with this! No problem with foodstuffs at my store, but there hasn't been a cleanser/disinfectant in sight for weeks. Take care of yourself.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 10:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like chicken licken in my neighborhood. I think most people are getting it but not everyone. Today some of the neighbors are getting together for a quick drink but asking everyone to keep their distance! It seems like for some people, it's just another theme for a party. They also invited my italian neighbors who obviously are horrified.
This morning I had a conversation with my DD and her dad about her no longer going from his place to mine freely. I've asked her to choose where she wants to be for at least the next 2 weeks, probably a month. We can't afford for both of her parents to be sick at the same time since we're all she has.
I've been isolating myself apart from the odd grocery store visit for the last 2 weeks. I'd like to say my house is cleaner than it has been for a long time and I'm cracking on with the diy jobs but honestly, I feel far too uneasy to settle into doing much.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 11:24 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Good luck with this! No problem with foodstuffs at my store, but there hasn't been a cleanser/disinfectant in sight for weeks. Take care of yourself.
Thank you!

I've got plenty of supplies of food, water.etc (not that there are any serious shortages - but the grocery stores are less stocked than usual), and back in Feb when this was 'looking bad' but not 'actually bad' We bought a literal ton of lysol wipes, sanitizers, cleaning supplies.etc .etc .etc - and are careful about everything. We disinfect our shoes/clothes/bags.etc when we leave the apt (which we try to keep to once a week tops).

One way or another we'll get through this!
Old Mar 30th 2020, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
I've only ventured outside to get groceries/essentials (I'm prepping to go out later as I need milk, bread and... cleanser). NYC outside the window is a total ghost town (ordinarily there's a stream of people 24/7 as its in a tourist hotspot) and within our apt building they are enforcing one person in the elevator, recycling center & mail room at a time (and with the mail room, you need to stay 6 foot back from the counter till they get your packages, place them on it, back off 6 feet so you can approach - everything gets lysol'd when done, including the packages. They aren't messing around).
Look after yourself, mate! I hear all the rich Manhattanites have scampered for the Hamptons -- good luck to them, I say. I'd prefer to be here, where people really do look out for each other. It turns out we little people who don't have the means to cut and run are actually in the habit of thinking of other people.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:25 pm
USA 2017

ivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond reputeivanidea has a reputation beyond repute

I started self isolating at the end of January. It wasn't by choice though, the company needed to save money and let a few people go. They since closed a few locations and let more people go.

I'm half way through the 12 week unemployment benefit provided by Florida - a measly $275 per week! Good job the wife is still working. She's always worked from home, so no change for her.

The last couple of weeks have seen job interviews move to telephone and video calls.

The beaches were closed when the spring breakers didn't comply with group limits and social distancing.

At least the dogs still get their daily walkies, although it's now getting too warm for the morning one.

The wife has provided me with a long list of jobs to be done around the house and yard.

Need a job, since we're running out of wine, and need to restock

Otherwise, life carries on as normal.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 6:15 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Worked from home for a week.
Now back in the lab, very quiet. Almost prefer it .
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ivanidea
I'm half way through the 12 week unemployment benefit provided by Florida - a measly $275 per week! Good job the wife is still working. She's always worked from home, so no change for her.
That should be increasing soon - the relief bill passed by the federal government increases everyone's benefits by $600 per week. It also gives everyone an extra 13 weeks of benefits on top of their maximum.

Last edited by ss120396; Mar 31st 2020 at 1:52 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Desantis, of Florida, has issued a stay at home order, to start Friday, and I've just found out that our company is considered an essential business. Repairing homes, especially post hurricane, is our speciality so that makes sense but it seems a tad weird to have two blokes each servicing a maximum of five properties a week on trailer parks that are specifically for over 55's, ideal situation for spreading mayhem if either of us is/becomes a carrier. I'm waiting to see how my stepdaughter boss is going to justify her dog grooming business as an essential service...

Popped into Walmart for some odds and sods - no TP, bleach, etc. Was most surprised to see that the fresh orange juice section was stacked, mind you this Wallymart is only two miles from Tropicana, I'd have thought that echinacea and OJ were well known for boosting sub-par immune systems and therefore items to panic buy. Anyhow, back on topic, absolutely zero social distancing at the tills with cashiers, even the tax preparer stall had a client sat three feet from the tax bod. Until today I'd only seen three people masked up, saw about two dozen of them in the Walmart.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Not isolated enough. I take my dog out twice a day for a mile and a half walk round the neighborhood and I am amazed at the number of stupid bar stewards who have to come right up and talk to me. Tried crossing the road to avoid them to no avail, getting to the point where I am thinking about not taking the dog for exercise. Either that, or I am about to educate a few people in Anglo Saxon English. /rant over
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in MD.
Just me and my son, my partner is 'essential' and has been staying at his house. DS is 19 and had some medical issues and only ever left the house for doctor's appointments and expensive restaurants on my tab...
I was sent home on March 18th from work (no pay but we were generously allowed to use our vacation/sick days)...I am not sure I will have a job once this is over, they operate a strict last in/first out policy and I had the dubious honor of being their most recent hire....I also had a thriving event photography business that I did on the weekends, of course that is completely dead, prior to this I was booked every Friday, Sat and Sun in March and April.....Governor here has ordered we can only go out for essentials...I go out maybe twice a week if that for groceries....Should be ok money-wise, made a claim for unemployment and combined with the $700 Maryland is giving I will be able to cover rent and bills for the foreseeable future...I am somewhat antisocial, only generally left for work anyway, so have been amusing myself crafting hilarious (well at least in MY opinion) posts on FB....

My sister lives in NJ and has the coronavirus, diagnosed over the phone. She has a pretty mild case so far (about 11 days now) and seems to be doing well so far. She lives with her fiance, who has been staying in a seperate room and using a different bathroom, so far he hasn't caught it....She is a free lance nanny, so that is completely dead for her, he is a trainer and at present is still getting some pay from work and has been doing some virtual classes....hopefully they will weather this thing....
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
I'm in MD.
Just me and my son, my partner is 'essential' and has been staying at his house. DS is 19 and had some medical issues and only ever left the house for doctor's appointments and expensive restaurants on my tab...
I was sent home on March 18th from work (no pay but we were generously allowed to use our vacation/sick days)...I am not sure I will have a job once this is over, they operate a strict last in/first out policy and I had the dubious honor of being their most recent hire....I also had a thriving event photography business that I did on the weekends, of course that is completely dead, prior to this I was booked every Friday, Sat and Sun in March and April.....Governor here has ordered we can only go out for essentials...I go out maybe twice a week if that for groceries....Should be ok money-wise, made a claim for unemployment and combined with the $700 Maryland is giving I will be able to cover rent and bills for the foreseeable future...I am somewhat antisocial, only generally left for work anyway, so have been amusing myself crafting hilarious (well at least in MY opinion) posts on FB....

My sister lives in NJ and has the coronavirus, diagnosed over the phone. She has a pretty mild case so far (about 11 days now) and seems to be doing well so far. She lives with her fiance, who has been staying in a seperate room and using a different bathroom, so far he hasn't caught it....She is a free lance nanny, so that is completely dead for her, he is a trainer and at present is still getting some pay from work and has been doing some virtual classes....hopefully they will weather this thing....
Thanks for sharing. So they are diagnosing C-19 over the phone; that's interesting. I assumed that any 'confirmed' case would involve an actual test, and that anyone with symptoms but not tested would be somehow counted differently. I'm not asking these questions to challenge anything you said, just to better understand how it's playing out in the real world ... since she has a 'pretty mild case', it's just their 'professional judgement' that she's got C-19 I presume.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not isolated enough. I take my dog out twice a day for a mile and a half walk round the neighborhood and I am amazed at the number of stupid bar stewards who have to come right up and talk to me. Tried crossing the road to avoid them to no avail, getting to the point where I am thinking about not taking the dog for exercise. Either that, or I am about to educate a few people in Anglo Saxon English. /rant over
I only have a small dog. I stopped her walks about 2 weeks ago...after I saw a pig of an idiot spitting every 6 feet. I don’t want to risk her bringing anything home on her paws/nose. Some countries spray disinfectant on the roads and pathways...so they must think the virus is on the ground. We take our shoes off outside, then put them on a tray by the door.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 1st 2020 at 11:52 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If they had not closed the Brewery I am not sure it would have made much difference to me, all my travel is essential.

I made a couple of calls today, one person was in Lowes the other in Costco, both seemed to be busy. Now the main road is definitely quieter, which I put down to the ski resorts being closed.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Thanks for sharing. So they are diagnosing C-19 over the phone; that's interesting. I assumed that any 'confirmed' case would involve an actual test, and that anyone with symptoms but not tested would be somehow counted differently. I'm not asking these questions to challenge anything you said, just to better understand how it's playing out in the real world ... since she has a 'pretty mild case', it's just their 'professional judgement' that she's got C-19 I presume.
She had a video call (not that it makes much of a difference!), but correct, no tests at all....also remotely prescribed an asthma inhaler (she had some difficulty breathing) and Tylenol.
Of course no definitive proof she actually has the virus...not even sure if cases like these are counted as no actual tests....if so, I cannot imagine how many MORE cases than the official count exist...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.