Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How funny. Jury duty already.

How funny. Jury duty already.

Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute
Default How funny. Jury duty already.

My wife became a citizen on Dec. 11. Today she got a jury duty notice.

Man, they don't waste any time, do they. The funny thing is that the last time I was called was over 10 years ago.

- Eric S.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How funny. Jury duty already.

Originally Posted by Eric S

Man, they don't waste any time, do they. The funny thing is that the last time I was called was over 10 years ago.

- Eric S.
My husband received his notice for jury duty within a month of becoming a USC. I received mine within 5 months .
Old Jan 5th 2009, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

hehehe..I've received notice 3 times, got out of it all 3 times. The OH hasn't had the privilege yet.

I have no doubt I'll be getting another one any time now given my (obvious) popularity, and I'll gladly do my duty so I can get some free time from work!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
hehehe..I've received notice 3 times, got out of it all 3 times. The OH hasn't had the privilege yet.

I have no doubt I'll be getting another one any time now given my (obvious) popularity, and I'll gladly do my duty so I can get some free time from work!

How did you get out of it?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 5th 2009 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

DH has been a USC since 12/03 and still no notice. He is very disappointed.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 10:26 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are lots of tricks. One generic one is to tell them that you've worked in law enforcement - defence will always strike you. Another is to turn up clutching extremist literature (though that may not be such a good idea these days).
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs tonrob and I have had about 3 each so far, and neither of us are USCs. Come to think of it I'm sure we weren't even LPRs when we got the first couple.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Man, they don't waste any time, do they.
- Eric S.
lol I was called once a few years ago and I'm not a USC! It was fairly easy to get out of it
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for 2 of the notices, I was still full time in school. If I took the time for j/d, I wouldn't have passed my classes. The third time, I was out of work and told 'em I couldn't do j/d and look for employment, so it was postponed. I then moved out of state for the new job before I was due to go in.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Well, for 2 of the notices, I was still full time in school. If I took the time for j/d, I wouldn't have passed my classes. The third time, I was out of work and told 'em I couldn't do j/d and look for employment, so it was postponed. I then moved out of state for the new job before I was due to go in.
When my husband got his notice we'd just booked a holiday so it was postponed. He promptly received another for jury service 11 mths later.

The judge excused me from serving the day I went to the courthouse. They were selecting a jury for a double murder and I had been picked as juror no 1. The murder was in a games store...I was in the shop next door the day before the murder and some of the staff were to give evidence...so I was excused.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The missus just got it and is being excused because where she works, well during that time she'll be the only one able to open the bank and the branch wouldn't be able to function losing someone...yes, it's that small a place...well they've had that much issue trying to get anyone at least and neighbouring branch can't afford to send covering staff over either...

Weird thing is, she was called for a town that's almost the other end of the state about an hour away, but it's still just apart of the same county.

Anyway, we'd be made homeless if she did have to do it and it lasted longer than a few days as she wouldn't get paid for it.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:41 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I got a letter for JD on saturday and it was returned today,as I do not qualify ........pity always fancied being on the jury.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:44 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
always fancied being on the jury.

I was thinking it would be Ian Dury, with his little withered hand reaching up for your knockers
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:56 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I was thinking it would be Ian Dury, with his little withered hand reaching up for your knockers
I have standards he was a funny little chap.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

- Eric S.
I'm still waiting, letter never comes. I got the letter several times in NYC, whilst still GC. Since becoming USC, nowt.
Reg. "Whipem Hangem Frank"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.