Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How do you cope with insecurity/fear?

How do you cope with insecurity/fear?

Old Mar 2nd 2016, 8:47 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do you cope with insecurity/fear?

I still get a bit surprised when people tell me that they couldn't just up-sticks and move to a new country as we have done, twice now. There's no point telling them that we get anxious/fearful about it too but do it anyway. My way through the worry is to get as much information as I possibly can, maybe get in touch with people, prepare, prepare and prepare... but getting on that plane to go to a new life has me shaking and usually a bit tearful.

I've had a few wobbly moments in the last few months and quite honestly if I think too much about the future, it's a bit scary. So when I feel this anxiety building I follow a friend's advice and say "this week, I'm ok".

What do the rest of you do? Just curious.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do you cope with insecurity/fear?

Never thought about it to be honest.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I try and not think of the future. I cant predict what will happen tomorrow let alone months or years away, so I try and just live in the current day.

When it came to moving to Canada, I just did it but probably would have done more planning now if I had to do it over again.

That said I am a worrier by nature and always have been as far as my memory goes so its really hard and takes a lot of work to live in today and not let the future cause worry.

Suppose if I was moving somewhere with an ocean between me and my home country things would have been different. Cant exactly just get home in an emergency affordably if the only option really is plane.

I dont even consider the move to Canada any different then moving to a state similiar to California, BC is more or less the same as the 3 US west coast states.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 2nd 2016 at 9:17 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any more anxiety living in the US than I did in the UK. Normal stuff like is my job safe, what happens if I'm ill. The only regret is I lost some personal item during my move. The actual move wasn't a problem at all. For me though I had a place to live and I knew I wouldn't starve. Fortunately it didn't take long to find a job.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 9:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Never thought about it to be honest.
I had expected the answer, based on the thread title, to be "a 12 guage by the bed".

The nearest I come to insecurity is occasional flashs of "WTF am I doing here?" They usually occur when I am on my own, for example when I was sitting astride the ridge of a roof demolishing the chimney, or slithered up under a crawlspace working on the plumbing. I just get this feeling that my upbringing and education in the UK hasn't prepared me for whatever situation I find myself in.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 2nd 2016 at 9:55 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Drink
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 10:53 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Drink

There have been spate of vehicle break-ins in the last few nights, both of my neighbours had their cars "broken into" (they had left the doors unlocked!). Unusually, I had left my car outside the garage but locked. My dog was barking at 2.30 am and I just thought she needed a pee.... so I came downstairs, switching lights on, let her out of the back door and probably scared them off from my place.

It didn't occur to me to be frightened.

in terms of moving countries, some advice given to me a long time ago was that something will go wrong, hope that it's not too important and realise that in most cases, money will sort it out so make sure that the hiring manager isn't too tight fisted..... which hasn't been too far off the mark.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 11:21 pm
Banned

themadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond reputethemadpooper has a reputation beyond repute

Xanex/therapy
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

There have been spate of vehicle break-ins in the last few nights, both of my neighbours had their cars "broken into" (they had left the doors unlocked!). Unusually, I had left my car outside the garage but locked. My dog was barking at 2.30 am and I just thought she needed a pee.... so I came downstairs, switching lights on, let her out of the back door and probably scared them off from my place.

It didn't occur to me to be frightened.

in terms of moving countries, some advice given to me a long time ago was that something will go wrong, hope that it's not too important and realise that in most cases, money will sort it out so make sure that the hiring manager isn't too tight fisted..... which hasn't been too far off the mark.
Somebody has his truck broken into nearby last year, unlocked.

One of the local bears had worked out how to flip the handle, quite a mess. Not a common issue in London.
Old Mar 2nd 2016, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I had expected the answer, based on the thread title, to be "a 12 guage by the bed".

The nearest I come to insecurity is occasional flashs of "WTF am I doing here?" They usually occur when I am on my own, for example when I was sitting astride the ridge of a roof demolishing the chimney, or slithered up under a crawlspace working on the plumbing. I just get this feeling that my upbringing and education in the UK hasn't prepared me for whatever situation I find myself in.
Well from that perspective London was far worse, so a downgrade. At least I could easily pope out and get a 12 gauge tomorrow if I wanted one. And I have my pup, also not a London possibility.

I had an accident on my ATV fortunately nothing serious , but made me think.

Just shifted half a cord of wood. now that is not something I used to do. Would not have know what a cord was.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I still get a bit surprised when people tell me that they couldn't just up-sticks and move to a new country as we have done, twice now. There's no point telling them that we get anxious/fearful about it too but do it anyway. My way through the worry is to get as much information as I possibly can, maybe get in touch with people, prepare, prepare and prepare... but getting on that plane to go to a new life has me shaking and usually a bit tearful.

I've had a few wobbly moments in the last few months and quite honestly if I think too much about the future, it's a bit scary. So when I feel this anxiety building I follow a friend's advice and say "this week, I'm ok".

What do the rest of you do? Just curious.

I've never had the 'Wobbles' at moving countries, maybe just as well since we've now lived in 5 different ones lol

As you mentioned above, you can try to research as much as you can about your new location, but the actual day to day living can seem so different to what you find online etc... And at the end of the day, you just have to embrace change and try to enjoy the good, and the bad

A good quote I read once was, 'Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere.'
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well from that perspective London was far worse, so a downgrade. At least I could easily pope out and get a 12 gauge tomorrow if I wanted one. And I have my pup, also not a London possibility.

I had an accident on my ATV fortunately nothing serious , but made me think.

Just shifted half a cord of wood. now that is not something I used to do. Would not have know what a cord was.
Ah yes, my chainsaw has brought on more than its fair share of "WTF am I doing here?" moments.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ah yes, my chainsaw has brought on more than its fair share of "WTF am I doing here?" moments.
Then bring it here
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:22 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Xanex/therapy
I like this newbie....

Please stay, I think we will get on very well!
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 12:29 am

I like this newbie....

Please stay, I think we will get on very well!
Sounds to me like he's full of crap!
Then bring it here ......
Dream on. ..... I just put a new bar and chain on it last weekend!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.