Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How do the osbournes get away with U.S immigration?

How do the osbournes get away with U.S immigration?

Old Nov 19th 2019, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do the osbournes get away with U.S immigration?

Originally Posted by Boiler
A US Citizen is taxed on their worldwide income, no need to be resident or domiciled in the US.
I thought Keith Richards was only British, so it is important from a UK tax perspective to declare his domicile to avoid paying UK taxes.

I am a USC and it is important for me to declare my domicile as Britain so that I can claim my UK taxes as foreign tax credits against my US taxes.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 5:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Good for Kieth - his body shows clear signs of wear and tear! I would imagine he has some stories to tell!

I put domiciled in quotes because I was looking for musicians who were British and who resided in the US. The website I read said he was domiciled in CT for tax purposes, so I wasn't sure if that meant he just maintained a property in CT and paid lip-service to living there or not ... obviously not from what you are saying. I assume he has enough money to own and live in homes all over the world. I'm not familiar with the nuances of the term domiciled so put it in quotes. Anyway, good for him getting his act together - lots of temptation when you have that kind of money and access.
He still has Redlands in the UK, and a house in Turks and Caicos that I've heard of. Probably there are indeed more! One of his daughters got married in Weston in September, because she wanted to do it where she grew up. Keith and Patti made a big donation to the town plus rental fee to use the town's community farm (which is adjacent to his home) for the event, putting up a marquee and shuttling guests there in golf carts from the house. I had to laugh, as the tabloids picked up on the story and started describing the venue as if it was some fancy estate, when in actual fact the event was apparently as low key as you can get for a celeb's daughter!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A US Citizen is taxed on their worldwide income, no need to be resident or domiciled in the US.
And the relevance here is?
He's domiciled in the US to avoid paying UK taxes.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Resident and Domicile have various meanings depending on the given situation. There is no standard definition.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

In reality though only those with 6 figure incomes need to worry about actually owing US taxes, foreign earned income exclusion is into the low 6 figures now, $104,100 for 2018. Unless making over that your pretty safe not owing any US taxes, but you would still need to file.

Old Nov 19th 2019, 7:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 19th 2019, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In reality though only those with 6 figure incomes need to worry about actually owing US taxes, foreign earned income exclusion is into the low 6 figures now, $104,100 for 2018. Unless making over that your pretty safe not owing any US taxes, but you would still need to file.
I’m sure he has a 6 figure income but none of it will be earned. No P60 for him these days. Overseas income from pensions and investments does not get excluded using FEIE. (I have UK pensions and can’t exclude them through FEIE, I have to use FTC’s)

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 19th 2019 at 8:00 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Resident and Domicile have various meanings depending on the given situation. There is no standard definition.
The relevance in his situation is that he has a residence in the UK as well as the US so he has to go through the domicile test to determine which country has primary taxing rights. If he spent 6 months in both countries he would be considered resident in both so domiciled is the tie breaker.

Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I’m sure he has a 6 figure income but none of it will be earned. No P60 for him these days. Overseas income from pensions and investments does not get excluded using FEIE. (I have UK pensions and can’t exclude them through FEIE, I have to use FTC’s)
True.

Guess being poor I think in too simplistic terms, pensions and investments are not something we have to fuss with.

Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad

Do Royalties not count as earned? I would have thought he has a steady stream of royalties from (eg) radio stations that play his music (never understood how that works but that's how I imagine it to be). Also, every time someone buys a Stones album, or downloads a Stones song from iTunes (not likely to be big, but probably a steady flow). And, of course, the guy is still PLAYING! So I presume concert performances generate income ...

Oh to be a rock star ...
Old Nov 19th 2019, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do Royalties not count as earned? I would have thought he has a steady stream of royalties from (eg) radio stations that play his music (never understood how that works but that's how I imagine it to be). Also, every time someone buys a Stones album, or downloads a Stones song from iTunes (not likely to be big, but probably a steady flow). And, of course, the guy is still PLAYING! So I presume concert performances generate income ...

Oh to be a rock star ...
Royalties are passive income just like dividends, pensions etc. They are reported on Schedule C so can’t be excluded as FEIE. Only income reported on line 1 of the 1040 can be excluded using FEIE. (My son excludes his UK earned income each year in his IRS return)

Last edited by durham_lad; Nov 19th 2019 at 8:35 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Why is "domiciled" in quotes? Keith cleaned up many years ago. He lives a few miles away from me, and has been nothing but a model citizen in CT, sending his daughters to the local high school -- where he always came to plays and teacher meetings -- and supporting local arts nonprofits not only financially, but by attending events. His nephew owns a restaurant and it's pot luck as to whether he might turn up driving an older Porsche at lunch time and hang out there.