Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How close are you to a nuclear plant?

Wikiposts

How close are you to a nuclear plant?

Old Mar 29th 2011, 3:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How close are you to a nuclear plant?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I agree to an extent and you could add Americium in smoke detectors to your list or Radium used as luminescent paint on old watches and dials (or used to be used until they realized it was a bit too hot).

That said, Chenobyl was 400 times larger than Hiroshima.
In fact, I belive the Americum in smoke detectors is more harmful than U-238 or Pu-239 but I may be wrong.

Chernobyl was also caused by the plant engineers carrying out a test in less than optimal operating conditions, and directly ignoring advice to postpone the test because it had been left to the night staff who were not prepared. Then, the classic "Oh the scale only goes up to 3.6 roentgens/hr, so that's what the radiation level is on the reactor roof" didn't help much either.

It's interesting that if Chernobyl had a US style containment building, nobody need have died from radiation exposure, either ARS or cancer. It is such a shame that the USSR produced such great scientists but their bureaucracy resulted in such lax engineering procedures.