Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How close are you to a nuclear plant?

How close are you to a nuclear plant?

Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:48 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How close are you to a nuclear plant?

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Until the Japanese catastrophe of last weekend, the biggest nuclear mess in the Western world could be found at the Hanford nuclear facility in Washington state, where America's government once made most of the plutonium for its nuclear weapons. More than two decades after the clean-up began, officials have yet to deal with any of the nasty stuff.
The current pollution at Fukushima doesn't even begin to compare with Hanford yet. The leaks in Japan have been atmospheric, whereas there are huge potential groundwater and soil issues at Hanford. And with the impasse over Yucca Mountain, the projected processing start date of 2017 for the vitrification plant under construction at Hanford, supposed to help clean up ans sequester high-level waste from the 200 area plants at Hanford is looking as though it's is very optimistic. Plus there are all Rickover's old nuclear submarine cores from Bangor sitting in trenches, and the 200 area plants (Plutonium separation facilities) are STILL some of the most polluted structures in existence.

But it's not true to say the cleanup hasn't even started. There is a lot of work going on to immobilize and recover toxic Chromium deposits, and a lot of low-level waste is being dealt with.

It's an amazing, fascinating place to visit, and having a very close friend as a very senior employee at the Richland Operations division of the DoE has helped me get inside the Energy Northwest (formerly WPPSS, for those who remember) operating nuclear energy plant for a tour.

Anyone else here been inside a working nuke plant?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

between 45-55 miles away from Seabrook and Pilgrim 1

Pilgrim 1 is the one in Plymouth, MA and rated second least safe after Indian Point, which is about 150 miles away
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:40 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
the Energy Northwest (formerly WPPSS, for those who remember) operati?
Whoops? I wonder if it is still the largest muni bond default?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:50 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Whoops? I wonder if it is still the largest muni bond default?
Yes, I think it is. Nuclear Implosions by Daniel Pope is an extremely interesting account of the whole Whoops fiasco, and a fascinating account of energy policy as a whole from the New Deal up to the sixties and seventies, especially for those of us who live in the Pacific NW.

From the initial aspirations down to the desperate struggle for control and final disillusionment, it lays the foundation for the (inevitable?) denouement that was the Enron scandal, very clearly and understandably, even for lowlifes like me whose only intellectual asset is a PhD in a physical science
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:13 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

16 miles from my US house to the nearest plant. I can actually see it with binoculars as it is on the water near my house.

But now that I'm in Hong Kong, it's about 8,200 flight miles away so no fears there.

The closest one in Hong Kong is about Daya Bay about 25 miles away.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
An interesting map. I came out at a miserable 35 miles!

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/n...ex.html?hpt=C2

You're further than we are. From Indian Point to us is only 23 miles.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:18 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'd never heard of Indian Point till Governor Cuomo made an issue of it a few days ago... actually to give him his due he's been against it for years, this piece is from 2007. Built on a fault line and so close to millions of people (New York City and environs.)
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Keep thinking you are Candy WY she had the same avi for yonks
Originally Posted by candy wy.
kept wondering where I had seen that avi..........
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So do I...it's sooooo confusing.
Sorry! Didn't realize someone else had use the horse photo! I'll look around for something else.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
and she's actually sunflwergrl
Yeah, I asked Mo and Sue to change my name last week. Wanted something new.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
An interesting map. I came out at a miserable 35 miles!

http://money.cnn.com/news/specials/n...ex.html?hpt=C2
Thanks, i needed something else to worry about
Old Mar 19th 2011, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Sarah Palin or a Nuclear plant..tough choice
You get a brighter light bulb with the nuclear plant.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 4:46 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Ouch! I knew it was close to the city, but never thought about how close it is to Fairfield County, as the crow flies. Then there is Millstone, 57 miles away up the CT coast.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Fort Calhoun 469 miles.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 6:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
Not bad, 246 miles is the nearest and that's NE of me in Washington state. No prevailing winds from there. Next closest is more than 600 miles away.

But as some round here have mentioned, we live in a fault area, on a flood plain, surrounded by dams which may break in a Big One. Hm.
Volcanoes. You forgot the volcanoes.

Originally Posted by Havnfun
San Onofre 13 miles
Diablo Canyon 214 miles
Palo Verde 277 miles
Yes, but the weather is so nice!

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
1587 Miles, something to be said for living at the end of the earth

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
There is an article about Hanford in WA in the Economist this week:
And radioactive rabbit poop. Don't forget that. Imagine being taken down by mice & rabbits.. what will become of us?

172 miles for me. I do feel better now that Trojan's closed.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

41 miles from the Surry VA one.
Old Mar 20th 2011, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

A bit of perspective:

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.